Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 PM
Cashier

I went to college in the early 70's, got a BA, served in Peace Corps, got interested in a different career and went to a different school for a BS degree. This was long before cell phones.

My first name is fairly unusual for my age cohort, almost never met anyone with the same name. Let's say it's "Edgar Martinez". At college #2 there were 2 other guys with the same full name as me, not just first name but full name. One was in all my classes but he spelled the last name differently. Doppelganger #2 has the same name as me. I've never met him, or seen a photo, but he's hot. As in male-model hot.

Year 1 I was in the phone book and he wasn't. I'd get breathless phone calls from women, usually using a flirty, little-girl voice. "Hi Edgar!!!" "Hullo?" "It's me, Sally!!" "Sally??" "We met at Paula's wedding, don't you remember??" "Uh, no, I think you have a wrong number" "But you're Edgar Martinez, aren't you?" "Yeah, but not the one you are looking for". Then I started getting his mail, perfumed letters on pink stationery. I found out his phone number and address (he lived in a frat, surprise surprise). I'd give the women his number and forward his mail. Year 2 he was in the phone book and I was not. Peace Corps buddies would pass through, look me up, and call. He'd go "You got the wrong guy" and hang up.

Fast forward 30 years, i started getting Facebook messages and friend requests from women looking for him. This astonished me as I have my picture on my FB page and I'm not the least bit hunky. He's not on FB so I cannot forward them on. Too bad, so sad.

It could be worse. My brother has the exact same name as a TV celebrity. He disappoints a lot of hotel desk clerks when he travels...

Old 04-19-2020, 04:50 AM
Store Manager

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." - Michael Corleone (Godfather Part 3)
Savage '52-'11 Misawa '62-'09 Naniwa '77-'10 Ox Baker '34-'14 Rhodes '45-'15 Piper '54-'15 Bockwinkel '34-'15 Hayabusa '68-'16 Chyna '70-'16 Mr. Fuji '34-'16 Animal '37-'17 Uncle Ivan '42-'17 Heenan '44-'17

Old 04-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Bagger

We had moved 20 miles (in 2002) into a new house when the land line rang. It may have been the first call in our new home.

LOL = Little Old Lady
me = Me

LOL: Hello, may I speak with Alvin Flatbush?
Me: I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number.
LOL: He's my insurance agent. Is this --- --- ----?
Me: Yes, that is the number, but it's our home. This isn't a business, and Mr. Flatbush isn't here.
LOL: Are you sure?

Funny thing is, a couple years later, she called again, and we had the same conversation.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:28 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth workerbee222 View Post
... Funny thing is, a couple years later, she called again, and we had the same conversation.
I expect it won't be many years before I start trying to call CR8-9874 and asking, "Mom, can you come get me? I'm scared!"

That was our number when I was 9-18 and I'm getting childish again...

Old 04-24-2020, 12:56 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
I would rather staple my ballsack to my taint and take up luge.
LOL, I gotta use that line.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:08 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
I would rather staple my ballsack to my taint and take up luge.
That statement reminded me of this video.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Bagger

When I worked in a bridal store, I was one day tasked wit calling customers and reminding them of their upcoming appointments. The number I dialed was for a town nearby, and I asked for -Name of Bride-. A weary woman said, "You need to dial all ten digits, and it's an Alaska area code." There was a pause before she said, "We sure will be glad when this wedding is over."

Old 04-25-2020, 08:10 AM
I need a life

I'm just glad to see something from you, GK. My mom is never on this board but she remembers your stories and sometimes makes references to the in-jokes. You've had a big impact on people because you are witty and intelligent. I'm glad you don't have to deal with those calls anymore, except this time.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:03 AM
Balloon Whisperer

Quote:
Quoth workerbee222 View Post
LOL: Hello, may I speak with Alvin Flatbush?
Me: I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number.
My mom had our landline number before she and my dad got married until about 2 years ago, so for 50 years.

When I was little, every year, a few days before Christmas, we'd get a phone call from some little old lady trying to get a taxi. Every year we told her she had the wrong number.

Last edited by EricKei; 04-29-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Snip. We just read it, thanks.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:10 PM
Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid

When I got my new cellphone there was one who guy who had number previously. I know this because everyone he had ever known kept calling or texting me and acting completely surprised that I did not know who they were asking for. This went on for months.

There was even a call from the state justice department. Two calls, from the same department, after I had verbally explained to them that I had just started using this number.

The third time said justice department called me I said, "You know, if he's this good at evading you, I'm starting to root for him."