X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sad. :-( RIP Spock

Comment

From the stars we are born, to the stars we return. Now until the end of time.

Safe journey, Leonard Nimoy.
      Though the galaxy is poorer from your passing, you will be remembered well.
      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
        Damn! I was hoping this wasn't true

He was my first t.v crush I had back when I was in elementary school.
        Me too! I had a huge crush on Mr. Spock. This news has saddened me so much. All I want to do is cry. The outpouring of love I've seen for him has been amazing though!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

What shocks me is, he quit smoking THIRTY YEARS AGO! I thought quitting was supposed to...well, maybe not prevent COPD, but at least cut down the chances...
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well, perhaps, the damage was done, and quitting simply gave him another 20 or 30 years. If so, I'm really glad he quit when he did!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This is one of my favorite songs. Steve McDonald from "Sons of Somerled".

This is called "I Will Return."
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                What shocks me is, he quit smoking THIRTY YEARS AGO! I thought quitting was supposed to...well, maybe not prevent COPD, but at least cut down the chances...
                For someone who already has COPD, stopping smoking may slow or completely halt the damage, but it is unlikely to reverse it at all unless it is caught in the very earliest of stages, and even then not completely.

Someone with COPD at a severe to critical level will have their life-span shortened anyway due to the extra strain it puts on their body; try to imagine breathing only through a straw for the rest of your life.

It puts strain on the heart, you burn up more calories than a healthy person just struggling to get enough oxygen, the constant exhaustion often leaves you with no appetite on top of burning more calories... You get the idea.

Those with COPD often die of heart attacks, strokes, or (usually) respiratory infections that their bodies are too exhausted to fight off completely. Given everything, Mr Nimoy did well to last as long as he did.

Sorry to preach, my stepdad has advanced COPD, and if he can actually quit smoking he'll be put up for a double lung transplant. That's if we don't murder him as he goes through the withdrawal symptoms. That wood chipper is looking very tempting...
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Harve Bennett also passed away. He died two days before Leonard Nimoy did but it wasn't reported until afterwards. Harve Bennett was a major player behind the scenes for Star Trek II-V. He produced and/or cowrote those films, and had a small cameo in Star Trek V as Admiral Bennett.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I hadn't heard about Mr. Bennett. He also did TIME TRAX with Dale Midkiff, one of my favorite syndicated SF shows...

Comment

May he, too, rest in peace. v_v
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        Harve Bennett also passed away. He died two days before Leonard Nimoy did but it wasn't reported until afterwards. Harve Bennett was a major player behind the scenes for Star Trek II-V. He produced and/or cowrote those films, and had a small cameo in Star Trek V as Admiral Bennett.
                        OMG I didn't hear that! I think he was at the Worldcon I went to years ago where Nimoy also showed up.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Local paper took quite a bit of flak over their headline on the 28th, which quoted a line of Star Trek dialogue that's become a cliche: "He's dead, Jim".
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Not only that, but Shatner took a lot of shit from the media & his followers on Twitter b/c Shatner had a prior commitment that had been made months prior to attend a charity shin dig for Red Cross which made him unable to make it to the funeral. But what pisses me off is Nichelle Nichols apparently didn't attend either due to an appearance at a Comic Con in Fla, but yet I didn't see any crap flung at her for honoring an obligation that had already been set in stone.

I mean, come on, Shatner obviously felt terrible for not being able to make it, but IMHO Leonard of all people would have understood, I mean, I don't know these guys personally, but I like to think that Bill & Leonard would've remained close even after all this time. Shatner made a couple of remarks that made me cry yet again, he said & I quote "we were stronger together than we were apart & a memory that I will always cherish is the sound of his laughter enterwined with mine"

But the point of this post is, I was trolling Netflix the other night & they have all of the movies & TOS on streaming, & well, I don't think I can handle watching it( I KNOW I couldn't make it thru Wrath Of Khan for sure) just yet. It's all too fresh right now..Am I the only one? am I nuts?

I think to myself, 'damn, he was an actor who played a fictional character on a fictional show, but then I think 'my God man, this guy was like my entire childhood, I grew up on TNG & the movies for Christ's sake
                            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                              ( I KNOW I couldn't make it thru Wrath Of Khan for sure)
                              I loved my father and mother deeply, but I never felt they really understood me. Like a lot of teens in the '60s I felt alienated, a changeling. I understood Spock's difficulty with the human condition; I felt he would understand me. It was a huge part of his appeal.

Flashback: When Wrath of Khan came out, I went with a bunch of friends to see it in the theater. When it came to the scene in the engine room, the whole auditorium was absolutely silent.

Except for this small, horrified voice that kept repeating, "No. No. No." Over and over and over again.

My friends didn't tell me for several days that that small horrified voice . . . was me.

Thank you, Leonard. Thank you, Harve. We'll miss you.

Comment

Dang man, that sucks, geez I can't even remember now, would have to look it up, but had Paramount already decided to do a 3rd movie when Khan came out?

So I'm guessing that means you saw WOK when it first came out...fortunately for me, by the time I was in school (we're talking grade school here) TSFS & TVH had already come out on VHS Thank the Force

I'm gonna out myself here on just how much I was into Star Trek growing up, 'k you know how Scotty played 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes (which I absolutely LOVE ANYthing played on the pipes) at the end? Well, for years & I mean YEARS after I saw that scene, as soon as I heard the song, whether it was bagpipes or not I would just completely fall apart

Yeah, I didn't have much of a life growing up sue me
                                "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                                X