X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen is not just a movie

Some photos from Snowmageddon

And it's not even winter yet!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

This is _NOT_ looking to be a friendly season this year...

Comment

Yeah, my parents are right in the middle of it. They got about 4 1/2 feet in 36 hours. They're currently worried about losing the roof over the front porch due to the weight.

And if you don't think snow is heavy... A 2000 square foot house with a normally pitched roof holding 36" of snow is approximately an additional 45,000 pounds, give or take.

And they're expecting rain and 40s this weekend...
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        45,000 pounds, give or take.
        Which is probably a fairly fluffy snow at 7.5 lbs/cu.ft. A pretty wet snow, like this one apparently was, could double that.

Good luck to them, I hope there's not too much damage.

Comment

There have already been a number of roof collapses in the area, although I believe they were all flat roofs, plus a few carports.

Supposed to be 60 degrees F next Monday. Now they've got to worry about flooding, too.

Comment

With the threatened rain, people are busy shoveling the snow off their roofs - it's going to act like a sponge and soak up the rain, adding to the weight on the roof. To give some idea of how much 45,000 pounds (Crossbow's figure for roof snow load) is, that's pretty much the most weight of cargo you can load into an 18 wheeler (dry van) before you hit the legal maximum for gross weight.

Saw a picture in the paper of an SUV in the heavy snow area. They'd cleared the snow off the hood and windows, but left it on the roof Who the if-you-see-kay does this? Get up to any speed at all and it'll blow off and create whiteout conditions for the poor bastard behind you, so they can't see a damn thing - such as you stopping. A yard of snow on the roof of an SUV is begging for a rollover in a turn.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie, I saw that pic. Made me mad. I've been behind cars like that. I wasn't driving, but the driver I was with was pretty ticked off.

Comment

I saw it as well. In a number of locations, failing to clean your roof off like that is considered a moving violation. (Save the comments for whether it's fair or not for Fratching.) I don't think Buffalo has gone to that level yet, though.

As far as I know, my parents are ok. No real flooding, and they managed to get the roof cleared off before any real problems. Have to see how the rest of the winter goes...
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

One of my vendor reps (my Krispy Kreme delivery guy) got stuck up there in that mess last week (had to fly up due to death in his family ) and what he told me on Monday when he had finally made it back in town and back on his route, that snow was NO joke!

Those pics online and the memes don't begin to do that event justice.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    One of my vendor reps (my Krispy Kreme delivery guy) got stuck up there in that mess last week (had to fly up due to death in his family ) and what he told me on Monday when he had finally made it back in town and back on his route, that snow was NO joke!

Those pics online and the memes don't begin to do that event justice.
                    Very true.

I've been through some rough weather, including winter 2013-2014, and I gotta say I'm REALLY glad this storm mostly missed where I live. It was ugly.

Comment

Heard it at a truck stop east of where I90 was closed. Apparently last week the driver of a "portable parking lot" was determined to make his delivery in Buffalo, snow or no snow. The C-store clerk told him to forget about it - his consignee would be closed due to the weather, so even if he got there he wouldn't be able to deliver.

No dice - he had to make the $100 for on-time delivery. Made it about 8 miles from the truck stop, then wiped out due to the weather. Stupidity kills.

As for the SUV with the snow load, not only does it wind up putting the guy behind in a blizzard, and raise the CG to increase rollover risk in a turn, but what happens when he has to stop suddenly? Instant load of snow on the hood, blocking his view through the windshield.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When I was in high school, one of my schoolmates was almost killed by a sheet of ice sliding off the top of a minivan onto (and into) his car. Took out his windshield (it had been weakened by numerous cracks. To be fair, I think his car was *barely* street legal at the time). Luckily, he had fairly good reflexes. So, the people who don't clean off the hood of their cars REALLY piss me off. Because, I know what can happen when that stuff freezes, then comes off in one full sheet...
                        "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

People, if you have a garage and it's winter and it's going to snow HARD, please empty it and use it to do what it's made to do: store your cars! Your prized collection of whozits can stay somewhere else!
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

There was one guy who got stuck in the snow outside. HIMSELF, not in a car! Someone called 911 and by the time they got there, only his head was visible! They had to call around to find someone who could get him out of the snow ASAP, finally found a store that agreed to help (kudos to Wegmans) - they sent a highlift or something, dug the guy out and got him to a hospital. Hello, hypothermia! AKAIK he's going to be okay.

Comment

Working...
                            X