This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mathnerd View Post
    I think I'd go eat at that guy's restaurant just to show my support of his actions. Good for him!
    I would too. I love good Chinese food anyways.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I couldn't find it again but someone in those comments had confused glucose with gluten and was talking about glucose allergies and stuff and it was kind of funny.

Also he says a customer told him he didn't have to pay if he didn't like the meal? what universe is that guy in?
      Last edited by gremcint; 11-09-2014, 12:46 AM.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
        There's a really interesting study going on right now about an additive that is put in all wheat products, including raw flour, in north America, that is not used in Europe or asia (not sure about Australia). Preliminary results are that this additive is responsible for bloating and other symptoms that people who claim gluten intolerance/allergy are feeling. If that additive is responsible, and becomes banned, in the next ten years or so you could see the number of people who are not Ceiliac and who claim gluten intolerance all but disappear.
        That is very interesting. I don't really think that gluten intolerance is that widespread, but I also don't think people are faking feeling bad after eating wheat. If this whatchacallit is responsible, it would explain a lot.

I don't suppose there's a link to this study?
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Google-fu:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...APs-blame.html

Another quick search brings up plenty of other articles that claim a link between FODMAPs and IBS, so it's not an unreasonable claim to say that they are the cause instead of Gluten.

Comment

Chanlin, that is interesting. I'm not sure if that is the same additive that was being studied that I was referring to. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the name was, and I don't have a link. The study I was reading was in paper form, and not readied to be published yet. It was promising results from less than 2 years of research. I was talking to a colleague of the author, they thought it would be another 2-3 years at least before there was something that could be published as fairly conclusive.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I'm waiting to see a bottle of water with "Gluten Free" written on it...
              It'll happen sooner or later.

Trust me. I have some experience with this.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                There's a really interesting study going on right now about an additive that is put in all wheat products, including raw flour, in north America, that is not used in Europe or asia (not sure about Australia). Preliminary results are that this additive is responsible for bloating and other symptoms that people who claim gluten intolerance/allergy are feeling. If that additive is responsible, and becomes banned, in the next ten years or so you could see the number of people who are not Ceiliac and who claim gluten intolerance all but disappear.
                We have a number of people over here who have claimed that were bloated before eating gluten, but suddenly aren't now that they've stopped. They haven't quite claimed that they're gluten intolerant, they just say they're on a gluten free diet with a holier-than-thou attitude about it, as though somehow eating gluten means you're going to wind up a horrible fat carcass.

I also have a couple of kids at work who are on gluten free diets for one reason or another, three are for behavioural reasons and one is just an outright coeliac. I'm awaiting the rounds of new enrolments to see how many gluten free ones we have.

I usually tell them "well I'm still eating gluten and I've lost weight. What do you say to that?" Their heads usually explode.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  We have a number of people over here who have claimed that were bloated before eating gluten, but suddenly aren't now that they've stopped. They haven't quite claimed that they're gluten intolerant, they just say they're on a gluten free diet with a holier-than-thou attitude about it, as though somehow eating gluten means you're going to wind up a horrible fat carcass.

I also have a couple of kids at work who are on gluten free diets for one reason or another, three are for behavioural reasons and one is just an outright coeliac. I'm awaiting the rounds of new enrolments to see how many gluten free ones we have.

I usually tell them "well I'm still eating gluten and I've lost weight. What do you say to that?" Their heads usually explode.
                  I am diabetic, and control the amount of carbs I do, and have asked for something broiled or grilled instead of breaded if there is an option, and I found my best snark is to pull out my syringe and bottle, and as I am shooting up *into my stomach* "Why no, I am diabetic and I can do without the extra carbs, thanks. "

Honestly, I am not so into deep fried breaded stuff so much that I want to bother investing my daily diet with the empty calories. I do like properly made buffalo wings, there is NO breading, all the good crunch is the skin. I swear, if they sold chicken skin by the pound, I would SO buy it! Other than I actually do like chicken, the best part is the crunchy crispy skin.

I do have IBS issues, and they are medication exacerbated. Half the stuff I take seems to cause the runs, the other half can cause constipation. I hate being a medication battle ground *sigh* More of my issues seem to be dietarily related to fat and my poor gallbladder being ready to kiss off.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Bonus points. That bottle of water is also vegan!
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You know, Christmas is not until next month.

Thank you for the early Present though.
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I ended up in hospital over my food allergies a few years ago. I am not Celiac, I do have a very bad reaction to wheat. My doctor had me on an elimination diet for 6 months, I went through a lot of medical tests some of which were super upsetting and uncomfortable. The results were no wheat or wheat derivatives, no food colouring especially red and yellow and cutting down to as little diary as I can. I have a long list of things I was recommended to cut out including any refined sugars and have honey as my only sweetener. It really leaves me without many options. Try to find potato chips that don't have maltodextrin in them or food colouring. I buy the gluten free potato chips because they have potato and salt.

I find it really hard to tell people because people think I am jumping on the gluten free bandwagon. I stick to a paleo diet now not because I think it's a miracle cure but because it means I know the food won't make me feel like crap and trap me in a bathroom for days.

I have had friends try to "trick me" by inviting me for dinner then only having pasta and bread then getting mad when I refuse it. I also get shit for "being paleo". Just last week a friend tried to convince me to go to a vegan place and couldn't understand why I wouldn't after looking up their menu.

I honestly don't care if people don't believe that I have severe reactions to wheat. My diet is much healthier FOR ME since I cut it out. I feel much better when I stay wheat free and when I do slip up, believe me I pay for that dearly. When I hear all the mocking of people who are trying to sort out their food issues it really puts me off. It's not always the easiest thing to figure out. I'm thankful my doctor listened to me when I told him the intense pain I was in and didn't roll his eyes at my questions about a gluten allergy.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

@Kiwi, see, you went and did all the research and checked things out. You also did some careful research and didn't just say "oh I'm going to go gluten-free to see if that's it."

My sister had a gut issue, but while the doc did do a blood test, he (she? can't remember who she saw) didn't tell sis that she needed an endoscopy or any other way of legitimately checking for whether she was coeliac or not. The nurse then told my sister she was "borderline" coeliac and that she needed to cut out gluten. Sis did so for a few months, then went back and was tested AGAIN. End result was that no, she wasn't borderline coeliac at all, she had a bug that caused similar symptoms and was given some not-so-nice antibiotics to deal with it.

Also Kiwi, if you're in doubt, feel free to buzz me on some items-I've become a label-reading "champ" almost because I'm having to find gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free items every day for work (we have kids at work who are allergic to one or more of these. Our only saving grace is that nobody is allergic to soy yet, so we can have soy with no dramas)
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

This might get a little close to "fratching" territory, but I'm sure most of you would agree that it's ridiculous to put "gluten free" and/or "vegan" on a bottle of water.

It's almost like "gluten free" has become a marketing fad. I mean no disrespect to those who have legitimate allergies, but "gluten free" on a bottle of water? I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've heard about equally ridiculous labels going the other way - such as "Warning: may contain peanuts" on a jar of peanut butter.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                I've heard about equally ridiculous labels going the other way - such as "Warning: may contain peanuts" on a jar of peanut butter.
                                What's utterly ridiculous about that is the phrase "may contain".

Peanut butter is made from, you know, peanuts!
                                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                                X