This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dog Take 2 -or- Tell me to stop worrying

So, through an interesting set of circumstances, we ended up with another dog. Her name is Pumpkin and she's a (much smaller) beagle like Ziggy. We had a doggie playdate last week at a local church and the two got along swimmingly. I would have liked to have a few more playdates before officially taking Pumpkin, but circumstances necessitated us bringing her home last night. Pumpkin was much more timid when we got her home than she was at the playdate. It doesn't help that Ziggy is very ZOMG NEW FRIEND!!! and probably scared her. She's also not eating much. I know it's probably due to getting used to a new home and her appetite will come back. I just don't want the poor think terrified all the time. She seems better this morning, but she hasn't left the back porch except to potty. She'll walk around with me, but not on her own.

So, please tell me to stop worrying and that it will be ok. I've only had her less than 24 hours, after all.

I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

She will be fine. Animals in general just need to get used to new surroundings and new scents. With the exception of my new pup, Karuso. He is fearless.

Comment

Whenever we do anything with our 5 year old mutt, she ends up not eating for at least that day. I mean, bringing her to visit the Wife's folks, or when we go camping. She re-adjusts and it goes back to normal.

So, Pumkpin will be just fine, she just needs the time to re-adjust.

Comment

I brought my cats with me when I moved back in with my parents almost a year ago. Only just recently has one of my cats started spending more than a few minutes at a time outside my bedroom. It can take animals a while to adjust to a new environment, so I wouldn't worry.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

She should be fine, she looks relaxed and happy in the picture which is a good sign. If it helps my dog stayed in the kitchen (her chosen hiding spot where could peek at the humans) for about a week when we got her home, then after that she kinda worked her way throughout the house until she felt comfy. Until she felt safe and adjusted it was hand feedings, including water, because she was a huge chicken and thought her new bowls were going to eat her, and visiting her in the kitchen, and leaving little snacks around the house to encourage her into new rooms and to where we were. Now she is perfectly normal...as normal as she is going to get, she is a weird dog. The best thing you can do for your new pup is just be relaxed and go about your normal routine, once she sees everything is no big deal she will get settled in.

Btw what a pretty girl she is, she looks like she is at a good size and weight for a beagle.
          Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 04-20-2012, 04:00 AM. Reason: I haz a dumb...
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Thanks, guys. She's already doing better; ate all of her dinner last night and most of her breakfast this morning.

Now UPS needs to hurry up and get my flea/tick preventatives here so the ticks will stop eating her.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
            X