This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for all you artsy people

So I've been toying with the idea for the last year or so to gather up the woefully small amount of pictures of our late Rottweiler Lady, to have a portrait done of her to give to my husband for his birthday/Christmas/anniversary. He loved that damn dog more than me and when we had to put her down it was really hard on him (me, too, really). I think we've lost more pictures than we have left at this point, though, and they're all digital.

Question 1) after nearly four years, is it an appropriate time for such a gift?

Question 2) is it possible to take several snapshots and composite them into a portrait of an animal?

Question 3) anyone here up for this sort of challenge? I'm not made of money by any means, but I do believe in paying for something's worth, can budget accordingly, and I trust most everyone here. Birthday is mid-May, anniversary is mid-August and we all know when Christmas is.

I'm guessing if soliciting for a project isn't appropriate here that one of the many, many mods will let me know so I can edit accordingly. I just really want to do this for him, and truthfully the few people I've contacted around here just creep me out.

I don't think it would be easy, if possible at all, to composite multiple photographs into an accurate portrait....

<purses lips>

... I did just think of one way, but it'd require a great deal of 3D modelling skill and the result would more resemble a modern computer-graphics animal than a natural animal.

What may be better is for the artist to produce a beautiful collage of portraits. Take one of the best photographs and put it in the centre, surround it with other photos of Lady doing her stuff and being happy.

As for people here doing it: I am capable of the latter. I'm theoretically capable of the former, but frankly the result would disappoint you. It'd certainly disappoint me.

That said: while I'm capable of the latter, I don't make my living from art and I'm not one of our best artists. I'll stand aside to let one of them take on the project if they want it.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I recommend this gal. I do not know if she does pet art. She specializes in "memorial art".
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeffcoatart

Also, I will try and find the info for someone else. I saw one of his works. He creates the portrait writing out words and names associated with the pet. i.e Their name, breed, etc. Really neat stuff. The piece I saw was of a black lab. Looked very much like the photo.

ETA:
      Here is the link:
      http://www.drawdogs.com/
      Last edited by csquared; 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM. Reason: Added link
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

D'oh. A painting-type portrait.

Yes, that is absolutely possible. In fact, spark did one for me for my cat, and I love it.
        Kitty
        Last edited by Seshat; 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As Seshat said, if you're looking for a composite photo, it'd be better to go with a collage instead. However, if you're fine with a painting/drawing/etc. of the pet in question, then it should work fine.

As for time-appropriate-ness of the gift, seems fine to me, but then I've not lost a pet that close to me before.

While an artist, I have no delusions about being any good at photo-realism, let alone doing animals justice. Best of luck finding an artist.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
          X