X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Week Of Barter

What a week!

I met a woman who is EXTREMELY athletic, and discovered that she offers a service I need (exercise courses), and I offer a service she needs (photography). She gave me her card, and I emailed her yesterday about starting up classes.

A few days later, an acquaintance came into the store. She sat and chatted, and during the conversation, it came out that she loves to sew. I need something sewn for my business venture. I went over the today with the fabric, and she started on the project. I still don't know what she'll charge me, or if we can barter.

Yesterday, a friend came into the store. She does hair. I need to have my hair done; I feel like an Afghan hound. She wants earrings. We agreed: Hairstyling for three pairs of handmade earrings.

I am getting a VERY nice item from the store, when I meet a certain condition. I believe this condition will be met very soon. The store owner and I are cooperating on a print job. I get one side, he gets the other. We're checking prices now.

I went to my friend's restaurant. He's the one who can get us a great price on printing. We're going to meet tomorrow for lunch (at another restaurant), and chat with one of the guys there about a website, because my friend has a friend who designs websites.

This other restaurant also needs photos for the new website. I foresee free food in my future.

My friend is also taking the other earrings I made to his other job, at a hotel, to see if anyone wants to buy them! He's a DOLL.

! !

People are lovely sometimes, aren't they?
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
      ! !

People are lovely sometimes, aren't they?
      Yes, yes you are. Oh you mean OTHER people? Sometimes
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

And the blessings continue...
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yes!

The ball is rolling for the venture I'm starting. I have contacts in good places, the printing job will cost much less due to my friend, and the sewing job should be ready soon. I took a look at my handmade earring last night, and I thought, "These are good. I'm going to buy more semi-precious stones and make more."

And it's sunny today.

Comment

It's a bit like the story about the handful of straw and how that handful created a chain of trades that ended up with the original straw merchant getting a piloe of cash, no?

Here's hoping everything works out great.

Comment

Thanks!

I keep thinking of that guy in Canada who started out with a pen, and ended up with a house. I think he only had to make a few trades for this to happen.

When I had my hair done today, my friend put in the earrings and wore them while she was doing my hair. She LOVED them - "Oh! Jade! I LOVE jade! Lapis! Wow!"

I brought four pairs so she could choose. Turquoise, jade, lapis. As I said, I'm going to make more. Today was the first time I'd seen anyone wearing any earrings I made.

It was a productive weekend. I got paid; I dropped off the cloth and got some sewing done; I talked to my friend about the printing; I got my hair done; I cleaned the place up (vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the tub and sink, doing the dishes, making the bed).

Anyone know about the workings of a vacuum?

Comment

Barter is great. I'd actually probably rather barter than get paid money, in many cases. Everyone seems to get what is far more valuable to them than the money would be.

One of our customers at Kinko's (actually,he was more like a benefactor to the crew than he was a customer) bartered all over town. He brought us bartered food, candy, various presents. We knew we'd get fed at LEAST one meal a week by this guy, if not more than that. He never gave us money, nor would we have taken it.

I never saw the man take out his wallet, yet the guy was pure profit every time he walked in the door.

Comment

Then there are the people who are just GIVING me things. How amazing!

Comment

Lapis earrings? Sounds pretty.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

They are. I'll have to make more; they turned out very well.

Comment

Working...
                      X