This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I supposed to do now?

I have four classes left until I graduate. Due to me spending a bit of time figuring out what I wanted my major to be and getting all my gen ed stuff out of the way, I can only take two of them at a time, as the first two are prerequisite for the second two. That's OK, though. I can take two this semester and finish up in the fall, get a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself, and move out of my Aunt's house.

This morning I logged into my college website to check if either of my professors had posted the book yet. But there was only one class listed. Well, I had to get the department head to give me permission to register because the prerequisites in the computer are messed up, so I thought maybe something had messed that up, despite the fact that it had told me I was registered before.

After some digging, I discovered that the class had been cancelled. Which completely fucks up everything. They have never offered this class over the summer, so now I won't be able to take my classes in the fall.

I have no idea when the class will be offered again, I have no idea if it will run when they offer it again. I have no idea whether the rest of the classes I need will go through the same cycle, so I have no idea when I'll be able to graduate.

I don't know what to do now. I feel like just when I could reach out to touch it, my life crumbled to pieces in my hands. I have no idea how to put it back together.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Schedule a talk with your adviser ASAP. Inquire about (in any order) proficiency tests, substitutions...including similar courses from different institutions, which you can take online or correspondence.

All in all that situation sucks.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
      I don't know what to do now. I feel like just when I could reach out to touch it, my life crumbled to pieces in my hands. I have no idea how to put it back together.
      Don't stress. Seriously.

It may seem really, REALLY bad right now. Believe it or not, I was in your shoes. Sorta still am.

I am five classes short of my degree. Through a long and really annoyingly dramatic story in which all I can say is that I really need to learn to shut my mouth, I lost the chance to access the *one* class that I need to complete my associates. And the other four that I needed for my BA.

You're probably as scared as I was. But take taxguykarl's advice. You're in a better position than you think. You have a chance, and you can always get your classes online, CLEP them, or many other solutions. Don't let despair take you down, just set your shoulders, and kick down the door like you mean it.

I myself decided to say screw it, and went and forged ahead and built my own company as a "eff you" to my college. It was long and difficult, but I'm just telling you this to show you that its NOT all bad. It may seem like an almost insurmountable obstacle, but its not. You can get past it, I know you can.

You can do it! </fistbump>
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Go talk to your department adviser and/or academic adviser.

I've taken courses without having to take the prereqs for them before.

All I did was ask my department adviser (like you did) if it's possible to do so and since it was, she coded me so I would be able to apply to the course online. I also went to speak to the professor teaching the course to find out if there's truly elements that I should know beforehand or if the prereq and its following course were separate (for graphic design, they often are).

You can be told:

1. No.
        2a. Yes, since they're not really connected.
        2b. Yes, but since they're connected you will have a difficult time.
        2c. Yes, but since they're connected, I don't recommend it.

Let them know that you want to graduate as soon as possible. You may need to take an extra semester or they may have cancelled the course due to it being replaced with another one.

It's very strange that they would cancel an important prereq for a degree and leave people stranded like that.

I hope you can sub it with something else.

Comment

It's community college, I don't have an adviser. OTOH, the department head is teaching the class that didn't get cancelled, and when I was emailing her about getting into it in the first place, she seemed approachable.

Had a good cry, so I'm feeling a bit less doom-and-gloom.

Comment

It's community college, I don't have an adviser. OTOH, the department head is teaching the class that didn't get cancelled, and when I was emailing her about getting into it in the first place, she seemed approachable.

Had a good cry, so I'm feeling a bit less doom-and-gloom.

Oh, so you mean that it was just the section that was cancelled? Not the entire course?

For example, you wanted Tuesday, but it got cancelled so now there's only Thursday available?

If so, that has happened here as well. Though both sections were just merged and those that can take it later, did.

I hope I'm understanding correctly.

Comment

There was only one section, it got cancelled. I'm taking a different class, also part of my major, that is being taught by the department head.

Comment

There was only one section, it got cancelled. I'm taking a different class, also part of my major, that is being taught by the department head.

lol, sorry, didn't realize you switched to talking about the other course. My brain didn't click that you were actually talking about when you first started the steps to get into the other course and not present time. Sorry about that. Running on just a few hours of sleep.

And up here, a course is divided into sections, but we call them classes interchangeably. So I didn't convert the labeling like I did earlier. My fault.

Hope she's able to figure something out for you.

Comment

Contact the professor that was supposed to teach it and see if you can do an independent study. I had a similar problem when I got my bachelors. The class was only offered every other fall and I would supposed to graduate at the end of the current fall semester which wasn't the fall for this class to be offered. I set up a meeting with the professor, explained my problem and he was agreeable because he was interested in getting a new textbook and I would be previewing it.

Comment

Go up, up, up the flipping ladder at that school. Just start pestering the office people about it. if its needed for your degree, and they offer that degree, they just can't cancel it straight out with no alternative. They HAVE to help you get your degree.

In very, very rare cases, if you push enough, they may just credit you the class straight out. Don't count on it too much, but its a possibility.

Comment

Went to the class that didn't get cancelled on me today. The professor/department head told us that the college had cancelled the class due to low enrollment, but she was going to offer the class again over the summer. She's also totally willing to waive that class as a requirement for the next class in the chain, so if for some reason I can't get to the summer class, this shouldn't put my graduation off by more than a semester.

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                        X