This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVRemote Desktop...

My work just had a DVR security camera system put in, and as the store manager I was given a username and password so, if need be, I can monitor the store from home. I downloaded DVRemoteDesktop, and my username and password work; the problem is, even though the program comes up and seems to be working otherwise, I can't see the video on either my laptop or my desktop. The guy who installed the system said it's usually because of the antivirus or firewall.

I've been tinkering with this thing since yesterday. While I was at work today I was looking at the event log in the system there and it shows me as having been connected, so I know I have the correct IP, username and password...
    My laptop is a dual-core 2.1 GHz Turion with 4 GB RAM and Windows 7 32-bit. I connect to the Internet with a Cisco Linksys Wireless-G router. I set the program as a trusted program in both Windows Firewall and Comodo, but that didn't work. I briefly tried disabling my antivirus and firewalls just to see if it was the problem, but I still wasn't getting any actual video.

Nearest I can figure is the firewall on my router isn't letting me connect for some reason, or perhaps there's a codec I'm missing. I know when I first tried connecting I got a popup asking if I wanted to use ffdshow, and gave me the option of not using it (just this once), using it (just this once), using it always and using it never. I don't get that popup anymore... :-/ I also tried downloading ffdshow, still no dice.

Anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this to work?
    Last edited by BrightEyedKitty; 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM.
    You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

It might not necessarily be an issue with your home computer and firewall but the corporate one instead. For instance one of the programs I use to setup recordings on my personal dvr needs port 9080 for menus but if I want streaming I also have to enable 9081. Inside my home network I was able to stream using the LAN IP, but without configuring port forwarding of 9081 from my WAN IP to the DVR nothing could be done remotely.

You connect to an ip along the lines of 71.71.71.71 or is there a port tacked onto the end like 71.71.71.71:9080? You would have to find out from the installation menus or the installer what port the video runs on and make sure that the store side is configured to allow remote access.

Although, if everything is configured correctly as you stated it might be a codec issue.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

It uses port 80. When I open the program to put in the username and password there's an input box for the IP, my username, my password, and a drop-down box with port 80 preselected. The installer guy told me to leave it on 80.

I tried downloading a codec pack off of download.com and installed it, but it still doesn't work. Any idea what codec a program like this would likely use?

Oh, I should probably add when I go to the IP in question using my browser, there's also an option to use IE to connect to it, which gets the same basic result. I can see everything but the actual video.

Port forwarding is something I don't know how to do. Is that something that would have to be done on the DVR at work, or on my router at home?
      You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Try plugging your computer directly into your modem. Or, if you can't do that, change the router settings to put your computer in the router's DMZ. If the video works then you know that the issue is your router configuration. If the video still doesn't work, the problem is, well, elsewhere.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me
          Change the router settings to put your computer in the router's DMZ.
          How do I do this?

Comment

Connecting my laptop directly to my cable modem doesn't get the video to come work either.

Comment

would it be possible to take your laptop to work and put it on the same system as the DVR and go to the LOCAL address for the DVR that the work computer looks at. If your laptop is able to work when connected to the stores internal network it is a setting of the within the work firewall that needs to be changed.

I did google the ports required and only saw the one for connecting, not sure if it sliently uses others, found a pdf on how to connect but from what you listed your doing that just video issues.

Some more googlefu turns up this "DVRemoteDesktop -- 3rd party H.264 remote control software
              DVRMediaPlayer -- irf record file player", So I gather you need to be able to play H.264 files, so if the codec pak supports this you should be good. Also, I remember reading something that some of the XP codec paks or using codec paks in general cause problems with Win7, not sure which it was. I use VLC media player without the spyware some sites add and it plays everything, but I honestly have no idea if it installs codecs with it or not. or if they already somewhere on my computer.
              I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I think I just figured out what the problem is. I can see the video from the owner's account, just not from mine. I assume that means they didn't assign me the appropriate permissions or something.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X