Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm already on that self check out. ..

Hey guys,

I was at the grocery store earlier. I always use the self scans because by the time I get to go grocery shopping, I want as little social interaction as possible. I usually have headphones on as well - in case anyone gets too friendly.

I had a coupon that the attendant needed to scan. This is the end of my transaction, so my two full reusable bags are sitting on the machine - and the coupon screen is up. I walked the coupon over to her, and she's applying the discount.

I happen to turn around just then and see a young guy walk into the self scan area with two items. He heads right to the register where my stuff is on the machine, as well as my empty cart by my items. He stops right in front of it and just stares at it.

Me: Hey, sir, that register is taken - I'm using it.
    Him: *Blinks stupidly at me*
    Me: That's my stuff on it...
    Him: *Back up from the register, still looking confused.

At this point, I go back to my register and paid for my order.

I want to also mention that there were at least 2 open self scans out of 6 possible machines. I hadn't noticed at the time I told him that was my register, or I would've pointed to one of them.

As I was walking to my car with my items, I see this guy leaving. He still looked like he was missing a few marbles. It was just a weird experience. Maybe he had bumped his head earlier.

*playing devil's advocate here...* He might have been suffering from schizoaffective disorder with derealization. This will massively and absurdly sensitize a person to their surroundings: in some people, like me, this can manifest as extreme sensory overload. You could be crossing the street at a simple two-lane residential crosswalk, but in his mind he'll be trying to cross a six-lane Insterstate highway. You could see a self-explanatory lane of six self-checkouts, with an orderly lineup for them... but he'll see a bustling, unorganized crowd filling the entire front of the store. Situations that everyone else takes in stride may paralyze him.

Also, of course he could just be an idiot. Either way, it's a good thing that he didn't totally ruin your order

In either case, I worry if he has a driver's license...

Comment

That reminds me of the time I was in the restroom at work. I was the only one in there. This lady comes in and stands like right in front of the stall I'm in. I stand up and flush. This is when she decides to push open the door 0F THE STALL I'M IN. There are 5 other EMPTY stalls in the restroom. Did I mention I'm the ONLY one in there? She says, "Oh, excuse me" and goes to one of the other EMPTY stalls. I still haven't figures out what was going on.
      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

That's very true. I don't think ill of the person - I just thought it was spacey. He was definitely walking to a car, though.

Seeing as this is a college town, he also could have been stoned. *Shrug*

Comment

Working...
        X