Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they manage to cross the street?

B/G: I work in a university, in an office next door to a library that is dedicated to a certain department. There are about three steps that separate the two doors. Both of these doors have LARGE signs that state what is inside the room, for example: "X Library, turn right." "X LIBRARY" on the door. CANNOT.MISS.THE.SIGNS. end b/g

So not kidding that in the last two weeks, I have had over two dozen students walk into my office, past the sign that clearly states what my office is, look around my space that contains ANOTHER large sign stating what we do, look at me with a confused puppy face and say "Uh, is this X Library?" I stare back for a second and say "No. You're looking for next door. You passed it to come in here." I don't know how people get us confused with a library. There is not a single book in sight in my office. Seriously. I don't have books at my desk, other than some binders and catalogs. There are two chairs in the space. It does not resemble a library IN.THE.LEAST.

Seriously, what is up with people? You're in college now! You're doing big kid things, like driving, living on your own, walking and chewing gum, and you can't read signs?

My favorite people are the ones who stand in GROUPS of 3-4 outside in the hallway, staring at the sign that says "X LIBRARY" on the door, with a map in their hands, putting their collective six brain cells together, and then STILL come into my office to ask where X Library is.

This guy last week came in with a major attitude. He again studied the door sign to my office and came in, asking where "X Department" was. I looked it up and told him. No, he said he wanted to talk to the people who had just moved into X Library. I said "So you want to know where the people are, who just moved into X LIBRARY?" hoping he would hear how stupid his question was if I repeated it back. (Um, duh, buddy. You just told ME where they were.) His attitude increased and he goes "YEAH! Where are they?!" I smiled and said "They are in X LIBRARY!" He said "THANK you!" and stormed back out the door. Headdesk.

My head hurts. Thanks for listening to the rant.

It's OK, we have a similar issue at our store...

We have a huge sign above the store that says, "*** Wireless," a sidewalk sign with our logo and "*** Wireless" on both sides, a gigantic "FREE ACTIVATION, *** Wireless" banner hanging over one window, a lighted sign just below it that says "*** Wireless," as well as other various window signage, all of which says, "*** Wireless." In addition to this, the entire front of our store is floor-to-ceiling windows, which have no tint, and you can clearly see us inside what is obviously a "*** Wireless" store.

We are located between a hair salon and a GameStop, in a very small strip mall. Without fail, at least a dozen people a day will walk all the way in from the parking lot, get to the door, start to open it, THEN realize that they are NOT in fact at the salon, or GameStop. Sometimes, they even start to walk in before realizing their folly.

Of course, that is an entirely different situation from the people who see all of the signage, walk in, come to my desk, and THEN ask, is this "************ Cellular?" I usually give them a Bert stare, and point to the GIANT "*** Wireless" logo on the wall behind me.
    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

We got that from callers to DaddyJim's Pizza, daily, as well...

Our phone spiel was to the effect of "Thank you for calling DaddyJim's on Street St, where we have <special du jour>, can I please have your phone number?"

The occasional response: "Is this Domino's?" -- or, worse, "Yeah, do you have the phone # for Domino's?" o_O Even if we did have it, we wouldn't give it out. Calling for another location of our company? Sure. Competitors? GTFO.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth DaisyQueen View Post
        My favorite people are the ones who stand in GROUPS of 3-4 outside in the hallway, staring at the sign that says "X LIBRARY" on the door, with a map in their hands, putting their collective six brain cells together, and then STILL come into my office to ask where X Library is.
        I would be so tempted to tell them "Go north for about a mile and then turn left. Go for another mile and then turn left again. One more mile, one more left turn, and then, oh, I'd say about another mile or so and you'll be right in front of it."
        "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
        X