Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REPORT BUGS HERE - New Server Edition (March 2016)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PrplPplEater View Post
    Is this constantly, or intermittently?
    I have - on somewhat rare occassion - seen this with the javascript for the Ads, but it isn't something I've seen regularly.

Are you connecting to www.cs.com, or cs.com?
    Slow is constant, box popped up twice. Connecting to www.customerssuck.com
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Can you quantify SLOW?

Is it just the main page, or does it continue to be slow when you click through to the forums?
      Also - because I have to ask - are you seeing slowness on other sites, too, per chance?

I haven't the foggiest how or why it might make a difference, but perhaps try clearing your browser cache as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I *can* think of a scenario (albeit not likely and kinda odd) where you could be seeing leftover DNS Resolver issues from a bad cache.... if, for some reason, it keeps defaulting to trying to connect to the old site before trying the new, but never updates its cache. Like I said, not likely, but *possible*.

Also, any idea if you are using a proxy? If so, it could be the proxy with the bad cache.
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

I was noticing that we hadn't had any spammers in awhile, which naturally is a good thing. But then I realized we haven't had any new users at all. I think I know why. I tried to go through the registration process, and this is what I got.
        Attached Files
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Eep o_O

Just curious -- What happens if someone does enter a reference/user who sent them here? Does the extant user just get a notification that their friend has joined?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            I was noticing that we hadn't had any spammers in awhile, which naturally is a good thing. But then I realized we haven't had any new users at all. I think I know why. I tried to go through the registration process, and this is what I got.
            That's not good.
            Raps mentioned that he had to approve a few things because of this issue, but I thought it was corrected. Crap

I'm on it.
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Confirmed Fixed.

Thankfully, just a setting that was missed and nothing drastic.

Whew!
              Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Can you quantify SLOW?

Is it just the main page, or does it continue to be slow when you click through to the forums?
                Also - because I have to ask - are you seeing slowness on other sites, too, per chance?.

Also, any idea if you are using a proxy? If so, it could be the proxy with the bad cache.
                Also happens clicking through the forums, don't see it on other sites. I haven't installed a proxy, don't know if my ISP is using a "transparent" one.

Doesn't seem to be as bad tonight as it was last night.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post

That was happening if you forgot your password and tried to recover it. I spent a week trying to get my password.

Comment

that 503 page sounds like the Maintenace Mode page that Pederson put up on the old server before we moved).
                    While I can't address most of the issues on the new server, I can talk to the state of the old one. The maintenance mode page that I used to use on the old server was nothing more than a redirect (302) followed by a bare bones static HTML page (200). That is still there in fact. And all it does is serve up a single static page. It's not giving out 503 pages to anybody.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      While I can't address most of the issues on the new server, I can talk to the state of the old one. The maintenance mode page that I used to use on the old server was nothing more than a redirect (302) followed by a bare bones static HTML page (200). That is still there in fact. And all it does is serve up a single static page. It's not giving out 503 pages to anybody.
                      Well, there goes that theory
                      I knew it was too much to hope for when I typed it. This one is simply baffling to me.
                      Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Sorry about that. When I was doing the transfer back in 2008 (and wow, I had to go dig for that, didn't realize it had been so long), I wanted to provide a clean and simple way to tell people what was going on so that they would have enough info to keep them from panicking too much.

I couldn't think of anything simpler than that, so it stayed around for whenever it was needed. Not often, to be sure, but it did happen from time to time.

Comment

I find this somewhat strange and disturbing, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure what to think.

It is totally like a local cached DNS issue where it keeps reverting to the old IP (that 503 page sounds like the Maintenace Mode page that Pederson put up on the old server before we moved). That thought is actually reinforced by the fact that if you re-type the URL it works - that pretty much says that when it checks for a new copy of the page, it is finding it. Why it reverts to the old stuff, however, is confusing and odd.

Clearing Chrome's browser cache of Browsing History, Cached Images and Files, and Hosted App Data should help. I'm not sure what the analog is under Safari, but the items should be named something similarish.
                          I'll do a full wipe this weekend and see.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Confirmed Fixed.
                            It's definitely fixed here. Just had to ban a spammer for the first time in a week or so.

It looks like it's still happening at Fratching though.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Forgot to mention, frequently get "connection was reset while page loading" errors. My style is to go to main page, open as new tabs any areas that have new posts, then go into those tabs and open as new tabs the threads with new posts.

Also (first time I went there since the change) Fratching is having colour problems. The links to subforums/threads are in blue, and text within a thread is black on black. I have to use "select all" in order to be able to read it.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                                It's definitely fixed here. Just had to ban a spammer for the first time in a week or so.

It looks like it's still happening at Fratching though.
                                Doh! Fixed there, too, now
                                Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Working...
                                X