X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I fix this myself?

Or will I have to bring it in?

My computer has had this issue with typing on any program or internet site. The cursor can't seem to continue at the pace that my typing goes. I know I don't type that fast, and it only started recently. I'll be typing something and every so often, the cursor will get sluggish and it will take forever (ok, 2-5 seconds, but it seems like forever) for it to catch up to where it really should be. The only time it gets real annoying is when I need to backspace, because it doesn't react the way it should, and I have to backspace slowly to make sure I don't delete more than I need to. The other annoying part is when I am typing and I know I hit a wrong letter and I go to backpsace and correct it, and the cursor doesn't keep up with my keystrokes, so sometimes it gets even more messed up and I have to wait a few seconds and then backspace slowly, then type whatever I was typing correctly.

It doesn't happen continually or even consistently as far as a pattern, but it happens every time I go to type something, regardless of what I am on. Whether I am typing in Word, or filling out a form online, the reaction of the cursor is sluggish every couple words/letters that I type.

I will take it in if I have to but can I fix this myself? I have run disk sweeps, virus scanners, spyware detectors, and deleted all .tmp files as I found. Nothing has fixed it or improved it.

I bought the computer brand new in January, 2GB hard drive, run windows XP media center edition, and only have a couple games in it.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

I've got a sledgehammer......

That happens to me, too. I don't know if it's my protective services updating themselves, but all of a sudden, I will see the hourglass symbol and the Internet going really, really, really slow and I can't type as fast as I'd like to.........
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ok, it might be something for a pro to look at.

What I'm wondering is:

Have you checked Task Manager when this is happening?
      Dates/ times?
      Event Log?

What are the EXACT circumstances? Give me a very detailed example.

Is your keyboard usb or ps2?

How many usb ports on the box?

How much Ram?

Pedersen/ Draggy/ TA...ideas?

Cute
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Pedersen/ Draggy/ TA...ideas?
        Have to comment on this first: Somehow I've managed to build a reputation for this? Cool

Back to the question:
        The only times I've seen such behavior, personally, were on computers where the CPU was being maxed out. The only times I've seen that behavior were when badly behaving programs were running.

Now, despite my general non-preference of Microsoft, their programs are well behaved enough not to cause the sort of behavior you've described.

I'd suspect a piece of spyware myself. That's the only time I've seen that happen. The other possibility is that a critical component got corrupted (such as the keyboard driver) and that's causing the problem.

And, just to be thorough, eliminate the possibility of something at the hardware level causing the problem. Download a copy of Knoppix, boot off of that, and try out the keyboard. If it responds fine, your hardware is good, and Windows is borked. At that point, I'm not sure I'd be much help, but will certainly try.
        Last edited by Pedersen; 10-20-2007, 03:15 AM. Reason: Commenting on getting a reputation :)

Comment

I'll second the spyware idea. The only time I've experienced a sluggishness in typing was when my computer was loaded with spyware and/or viruses. Definitely run AVG or ad-aware, etc. See if that helps.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I have seen similar situations when typing directly to a distant site.

NOT filling out web-forms (you're typing to your local computer, which sends the input all bundled together when you hit submit), but when I've used a communication program (ssh, for the techs) and am effectively typing directly on the machine at the other end.

If this is the problem, FuzzyKitten, it's called 'lag' and it's not fixable. What happens is that for whatever reason, one 'packet' (small bundle of keystrokes) gets delayed or corrupted, the other end is either waiting or requesting a re-send, and then once it gets the delayed or re-sent packet, displays that and all the ones behind it.
            (Okay: it could be improved. By upgrading and improving the connection between you and the remote machine.)

However, since you've said it's happening even with stuff like Word (presumably running on the computer your keyboard is actually physically connected to), it's more likely to be the other problems people have already advised you on.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Reason I didnt suggest the AV or anti malware was because user had already posted she did this.

In my experience, kbd drivers are so....bland? it's hard to corrupt them. I've NEVER had kbd drivers go hinky on me. Ever. (there's always a first time).

I still want you to do your typing, do your stuff, and WHEN you catch it happening, check Task Manager, and check Event Log, and look @ time/date.
              Give us a place to start.

I'm wondering, since user had posted "website input/ typing and application input/typing" could it be : JAVA? I know a lot of the times you use a java applet to enter data into a webpage, and java is the only thing I know that would be used in both an app and a page. I dont think PHP would be used in an app (besides a page) - correct me if I'm wrong.....

I remember back when 98 was big, and Java was getting started, a few times it would hog ram and over run buffers...and just crash.

Yalls think of anything else?

Cute

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                I'll second the spyware idea. The only time I've experienced a sluggishness in typing was when my computer was loaded with spyware and/or viruses. Definitely run AVG or ad-aware, etc. See if that helps.
                I have AVG for my antivirus and security. I used to have norton but a friend of mine (Chris) who owns several computer repair & refurbish shops installed it for me and removed norton. I have AdAware SE personal, and I have run that already.

my computer is a laptop, so I don't have any kind of plug-in.

although, come to think of it, I did run without norton for 2 weeks because the trial period was over and I forgot to get my laptop to Chris' store before it did. I can't remember when the sluggishness of the keyboard started, but there is a chance it could have gotten something within that two weeks... If so, wouldn't AVG and AdAware take care of it?
                "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs aren't perfect.

For one thing, there's an inevitable lag between when a new virus/spyware/whatever makes it onto the net, and when you install the update that contains its counter and run the checker over your machine.

It's also possible that the virus/whatever that's causing you problems is hidden, and doesn't show up in the general tests for your anti-spyware programs.

My suggestions, which will rule out almost all the not-malware causes:

1. Do Pederson's Knoppix test. If you still have typing problems while running Knoppix as your OS, it's a hardware issue. If not, take the Knoppix drive out and go back to your normal stuff. Wait till you're having the problem, then continue.

2. Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE when you're having problems, run the Task Manager, look at the Performance tab. If your CPU usage history shows up around 100% at any point, tell us. That's what's causing your problem, and we need to figure out what's causing the CPU to be running so high.

3. While on that tab, look at the 'Physical Memory' section. Check that there's plenty of available memory. If not, that tells us a lot too: chances are your computer is freezing up while it's 'paging'. Ask, if you want to know what 'paging' means.
                  Tell us the contents of the 'Physical Memory' section. (Which would answer Cutenoob's 'how much RAM' question.)

4. Move to the Applications tab. If there's anything there that's not what you know you should be running, tell us what it is. (It might be fine, it might be a problem.)

5. Move to the Processes tab. Look down the CPU and Mem Usage columns. Look for anything that's using significantly more of either than the other processes. Tell us what that is. (Again, it might be fine, it might be the problem.)

6. I can't find an Event Log in my Task Manager, but if yours has it, let us know what's in that as well. And answer Cutenoob's other questions. (Date/time, type of keyboard connection, what else is on the USB if it's a USB keyboard.)

If we don't find anything suspicious in the answers to these questions, it's almost certainly malware that's gotten past your guard programs.
                  I'm snugly behind a firewall that's been successful so far, so I'm not sure what the current best malware fixers are. I'll defer to the others on that.
                  Last edited by Seshat; 10-20-2007, 10:41 AM.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=14226

I put up a good list of free anti-malware links and programs as for your friend he did the right thing in deleting Norton and putting in AVG. You have a resource problem. I've seen it on occasion on my computer.

While it usually isn't directly related to malware, the don't help with the situatuion by taking up a few resources here and there, trying to be undetected.

I'm 99% sure there is nothing physically wrong with your computer from this, just respurce management.

What are the specs? Processor? Ram? HDD space?

Right click the My Computer icon and select properties. On the general tab yo should see the processor and ram near the bottom.

Mine says:
                    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
                    6300 @ 1.86GHz
                    1.86GHz 2.00GB or Ram

(Note: If you're using XP, you'll have to click the START button to see the My Computer, if it's on the desktop it's only a shortcut and this won't work).

and for the HDD space, double click the My Computer icon then right click the "C" drive and select properties. On the general tab you should see a pie chart with some numbers above it, Used space and free space. Tell us those numbers, too.

Along with AdAware you should also have SpyBot, one will pick up things that the other won't and since they're not TSR (terminate and stay resonant, or they keep running in the background) they won't bog down your system when you aren't using them.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    2. Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE when you're having problems, run the Task Manager, look at the Performance tab. If your CPU usage history shows up around 100% at any point, tell us. That's what's causing your problem, and we need to figure out what's causing the CPU to be running so high.

3. While on that tab, look at the 'Physical Memory' section. Check that there's plenty of available memory. If not, that tells us a lot too: chances are your computer is freezing up while it's 'paging'. Ask, if you want to know what 'paging' means.
                    Tell us the contents of the 'Physical Memory' section. (Which would answer Cutenoob's 'how much RAM' question.)
                    I'll second that, too.

Edit: Mods may want to move this to the tech help forum in the unsupportable area.
                    Last edited by draggar; 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      (Note: If you're using XP, you'll have to click the START button to see the My Computer, if it's on the desktop it's only a shortcut and this won't work).
                      Actually, Draggar, on XP: Click Start, right click My Computer, and click Show on Desktop. It's not a shortcut if you do that. I have a habit of doing that to every computer I touch. If others do, too, then it might be a real My Computer icon, and not a shortcut.

The rest, I very much agree with, so I'm not responding to that

Comment

Then, to tell the difference if it is a shortcut or not is to look at the icon and if you see an arrow on the bottom left corner of the icon (in a white box) then it is a shortcut.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

A couple of things that popped into my mind. Is it possible that this is happening at the same time that your AVG is trying to run its test. I know that on mine it slows the system to a crawl at times. Otherwise I agree with the opinion that it could be a virus/spyware. Also, how are you doing on free space on your hard drive, if you are getting real short maybe under 10% free then you could be having problems also.

Are you running any sort of file sharing program, P2P, BitTorrent, etc. These can really tax the system also.
                          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                            A couple of things that popped into my mind. Is it possible that this is happening at the same time that your AVG is trying to run its test. I know that on mine it slows the system to a crawl at times. ...
                            I thought this may be it, but then I remember that it did it well before I removed norton and installed AVG.

Quoth digilight View Post
                            Otherwise I agree with the opinion that it could be a virus/spyware.
                            I ran a full scan on all my systems again, and it only came up with a few spyware items and no viruses. So everything is kosher there.

here's a snapshot of my screen for the memory useage:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Fuzzy, that is not memory usage.

That is Drive Management, your STORAGE usage. Hard drive.

To get a copy of memory usage, right click on your task bar (bottom blue bar) and select Task Manager.

A box opens, so click on the tab called Processes, and that lists a bunch of small programs/applications being run by you or the OS currently. Click on the header called MEM USAGE and it will sort by high or low, and you will see a listing of who's taking the most RAM.

Memory = RAM

storage = hard drive, dvd, cd, usb stick.....

Cute

Comment

Working...
                              X