Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been plenty of updates for Vista so it SHOULD be running better than it did before.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Are they free online updates?

Comment

Yes. Microsoft does not charge for patches for their software.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Yes. Microsoft does not charge for patches for their software.
          ...yet.

(yes, they have been trying to implement paid updates for a while now. Usually results in people outside the Central office that looks similar to the mob that stormed Dr. Frankenstein's castle)
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Got Vista installed...

And WHY didn't I check to make sure it had Office included?

Comment

Any OS isn't going to have productivity software. It might be included in restore discs from an OEM as part of a bundle/trial deal, but no standard disc will have it.

Comment

Good to know. I've downloaded OpenOffice. How much extra can I expect to pay for Microsoft Office?

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                  Good to know. I've downloaded OpenOffice. How much extra can I expect to pay for Microsoft Office?
                  Wow, there's a loaded question. The cheapest is for home users for non-commercial use and is at approx $130. Commercial the price starts at approx $250 and goes up from there. The Ultimate version full release hits at over $800 per license.

Personally, I'd say get used to OpenOffice. It works on par to M$ Office and is free for non commercial use.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Personally, I'd say get used to OpenOffice. It works on par to M$ Office and is free for non commercial use.
                    There will be the occasional compatability/formatting issues if you switch between Office and OpenOffice, such as emailing the file back and forth. And I don't think it works with the .docx (newest file type) format, so be wary of that.

Comment

Yes, I've had .docx problems before.

Comment

Another odd thing I've noticed - I downloaded a free game to this new hard drive (courtesy of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, who offers his lovely entertainment free of charge online), and when I open it, the window is TINY. How do I enlarge it? Every time I put the cursor in the window, it disappears. It reappears at the top of the window, where you have the maximize/minimize features, but all you can do is minimize it; you can't enlarge it.

Comment

Is there a menu in which you can choose the resolution of the game? Or perhaps select full-screen vs. windowed? If not, your only option would be to change the resolution of your monitor to something lower, since he'd have locked the window size to what it is.

Comment

I did lower the resolution of the monitor (before I even tried playing the game), but it's still small. I think I'll try his website and see if there are troubleshooting tips on it.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              And I don't think it works with the .docx (newest file type) format, so be wary of that.
                              .docx is a piece of crap anyways. All it is is a doc file with xml modifications so it can "be more user friendly" when it really necessitates the use of M$ Office.
                              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

docx files tend to be about half the size of doc files, in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X