This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General protection fault when trying to install a new OS

I've seen this with another computer before and a reset of the BIOS solved it but with my system now, it's not working. I am pretty sure it's a setting somewhere in the BIOS. I even unplugged the PC and took out the battery for an hour - no help.

Dell E520 - I can only install the OS that came with the rescue disc - if I try my own disc or a different OS (Say Windows XP Professional as opposed to Home) I get this:

TRAP 0000000D ==== General Protection Fault======
    tr=0028 cr0=00000013 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
    gdt limit=03FF base 00017000 idt limit=07FF base 00017400

cs:eip=0008:00318A90 ss:esp=0010:00061FEC errcode=0000
    flags=00010002 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
    eax=0000110C ebx=00301329 exc=00001618 edx=534D0030 ds=0010 es=0010
    edi=0037164F esi=00051D68 ebp=00061FF0 cr0=00000013 ds=0030 fs=0000

I've Googled it and it all points to corrupt hard drives, corrupt OS, or bad boot discs.

None of these are the case - the disk works fine, I've used it in the past and tested it on another PC.

The HDD is good (and new) and Scandisc shows nothing. (Plus I'm booting off of CD)

OS is good because, well, I can use it and I'm not trying to boot off of the OS.

This is really worrying me because now - will I have to go though Dell if I want to upgrade the OS? Am I locked into XP Home?
    Last edited by draggar; 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Is the install disk an original, or a burned disk? Burned disks can go bad after some time, doing nothing but sitting.

If you have space, try copying the contents of the disk directly to a HD to verify it. It (the copy) will fail if the disk has succumbed to bit rot.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The disc is good - I tried it on another PC to be sure and it worked.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

i remember a while back hp had a deal with tatooing mobos to work with their flavor of os, i wonder if dell has something similar built into their bios... cant tell too much brain melting from work for my google-fu to work properly.
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, considering that I've gotten a BSOD before simply by trying to install XP onto a formatted HD when the (Dell) system came with Vista originally, it would not surprise me at all if they had figured out a way to prevent non-Dell OS discs from working properly.

For the record, I fixed my problem by toggling the RAID setting (was a single drive system), then toggling it back on once the OS was on there.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It seems like they've done exactly that - locked out all other OS's other than their own.

The killer is that there is VERY LITTLE on the internet about this yet my PC is 3 years old (well, when you think about it that's the time you start to want to change OSs).

This means two things:
            1) People haven't put 2 and 2 together
            2) Someone is doing a great job keeing it quiet.
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

I went into the BIOS and changed the HDD controller from AHCI mode to ATA mode - now it's working like a charm.

Sometimes the most complicated issues have the simplest of solutions.

I spoke too soon, now during the installation I get a BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical:
              STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000010, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8051aa58)

During the device installs of the WinXP installation.
              Last edited by draggar; 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Well, that is an IRQ conflict that windows isn't detecting. What are you installing when it happens?
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  Well, that is an IRQ conflict that windows isn't detecting. What are you installing when it happens?
                  The OS - fresh install on a blank drive.

I had to do some more tweaking in the BIOS but I got an OS to load on the PC.

I did find a set of restore discs for this PC on eBay for $16 but it comes with Vista (yuck).
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                  X