Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opensource Employee Shift Scheduling software?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opensource Employee Shift Scheduling software?

Hey hey

Our support desk shifts are currently organised with an Excel spreadsheet. Which is fine for now, but we are going to be expanding, and I'd rather not have to try and juggle a dozen people, and 4 different shifts on an antiquated excel spreadsheet. Can anyone suggest opensource scheduling software? Or something with a trial period that, once it's proven itself, I can persuade my manager to purchase?

I have googled it, but some are useless, and others just look dodgy.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Try Cnet.com they usually have some good downloads and they are rated.

See if this is any good. http://download.cnet.com/Snap-Schedu...-10805070.html

here is a list of different software.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-2124_4...ame=os=Windows 7|platform=Windows&tag=pe-searchFacetsTile;navForm
    Last edited by CaptainJaneway; 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM.
    "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Thanks CaptainJaneway (also, mad props for the STV name )

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
        Thanks CaptainJaneway (also, mad props for the STV name )
        Definitely mad props for the name...I LOVE IT!

Got enough coffee there Janeway
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Never enough! lol Though i do prefer Pepsi over coffee.
          "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Quoth CaptainJaneway View Post
            Never enough! lol Though i do prefer Pepsi over coffee.
            Well, with the bubbles you might get it to float on top...

Jester! How are you one layered drinks? (And I don't mean the ones with yolks.)
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

How is your spreadsheet laid out? If you're good with Excel you might be able to make it to tailor your own needs. Are there cells to see or calculate how many people are there every 15 or 30 minutes? Are there cells that say how many hours a person gets each week?

Comment

http://www.shiftplanning.com/ has a free trial and I've liked it.
                The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

If anything, if anyone really knows Excel formulas, how about a formula on a cell by cell basis that plugs into a grid where the X axis is the days of the week, and the Y axis is the individual employees? Each box would accept something like 6-4 and would spit back 9.5 hours, subtracting an unpaid half hour, in the box next to it. That would take a mighty formula indeed. I wonder if anyone has ever done that before.
                  SC: "Are you new or something?"
                  Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

The older versions of Excel don't seem to work on the PC or Mac side anymore, so I'm using OpenOffice and Google Docs. Here I made a spreadsheet, but I'm still having trouble with the IF function. I put the names on the left hand side, the days and the start and end times up top. Right now it's easier for me to use the 24 hr format.

In B5 I have 9:00 (formatted as time) then C5 as 17:30 (5:30, also formatted as time). In D5 I have
                    Code:
                    =SUM(C5-B5)
                    So it takes the end time and subtracts the start time, and gives the value. What I'm trying to do is take THAT value, and do an IF function. I have the cursor pointed at E5 which shows in the formula bar at the top.

Code:
                    =IF( (D5 > 8), "Lunch", "No lunch")
                    The breakdown is "Look at cell D5, and if the value is greater than 8, then write "lunch", but if it is not greater than 8, then write "No lunch".

This wasn't my original formula though. I wanted to check and see if the value in cell D5 is less than 8. If it was I would simply copy the cell contents from D5 to D6. If It was equal to or more than 8, I would take the value of D5, subtract 30 minutes, and put that total in cell D6. I'm having trouble trying to get to read the number as time though, and calculate from there.

I also have the lunch time on a separate cell. One can have a lunch as 30 minutes unpaid and a break as 15 minutes paid, or however the business does their breaks and lunches.

BTW, OpenOffice, Excel, and GoogleDocs have slightly different ways of handling IF functions and other functions as well. The above info is from my GoogleDocs test. If anyone wants to add to my chart, they can. I'll just need an email address PM'd to me so I can allow access to that email address to view or edit the file.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by emax4; 12-06-2011, 12:12 AM. Reason: added last info at the very bottom.

Comment

I thoroughly suck at Excel But apparenty we're now developing an in house shift management program, but we'll see how that pans out...

Thanks guys

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        I thoroughly suck at Excel But apparenty we're now developing an in house shift management program, but we'll see how that pans out...

Thanks guys
                        What other kinds of features are you looking for?

Comment

I figured out the lunchtime adjustment! I was trying to take the value of the cell for the hours worked and subtract 30 minutes, but I wasn't able to do that.

For Mike (column 6), I had him start at 12 PM and work until 8:30 PM (12:00 and 20:30). In cell E6 I took the value of D6. (for iradney:In Excel, Google Docs and Open Office, you select the cell you want the data copied over to. Press the equal sign, then click on the cell you want the data copied to, then press enter.) So in E6 I typed the equal sign, selected D6 and pressed enter, then the contents from D6 were copied into E6 in the same hours and minutes format. To see if such an hrs/minutes value existed in a decimal format I selected cell E6, went to format and selected "number" instead of "date", "time" etc, so this gave me the value 0.35416666666667. I copied and pasted in that same column, so it converted those hours for each employee down the column.

In A12 I had typed in 30 minutes as "0:30" and then converted it as a number, and that came out to 0.020833333333333, but I shrunk it down to 0.0208333 so it was just three 3s at the end.

On the attached thumbnail I have cell F6 highlighted, and you can see the formula in the formula field above which is

Code:
                          =if((E6<0.354),D6,D6-0.0208333)
                          This reads "If the contents of cell E6 are less than 0.354, then simply copy the contents from D6 to F6. If the contents of cell E6 are more than than 0.354, take the data or number from E6 and subtract 0.0208333"

For this test, another way to explain it is:

D6 shows the guy is scheduled for eight and a half hours.

E6 shows this time is converted into a number, which in this case is 0.35416666666667.

F6 is doing a calculation, asking if E6 is less than 0.354. If it is less, just copy & paste the hours over to this cell. If it is more than 0.354 (which it is, and it 0.3541666666...), then take that number of 0.35416666666667, subtract 30 minutes (which in decimal form comes out to 0.0208333), and put that value in the cell.

I copied and pasted the data in the other cells in the same column so it calculated the hours and lunches for the other employees. Let's take a look at another one; Todd.

1. Todd is scheduled to start at 8 AM (B7), and finish at 12:30 PM (C7), so that means that he is scheduled to work four and a half hours or "4:30" (D7).

2. The 4:30 is converted into a decimal number that GoogleDocs understands, and that number is 0.1875 (E7)

3. Is Todd getting a lunch that day? Let's see... 4:30 in decimal format is 0.1875, and that's less than 8 hours in decimal format, which 0.35416666666667. therefore, we don't have to calculate any hours minus a lunch so we're just taking his hours over from D7 to F7.

Whenever i would have certain calculations run that i didn't need to see, I would highlight the column and hide it. Spreadsheet programs will know you still have the data there but not display any hidden rows or columns so this makes it easier visually.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X