X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland's Commonwealth Games Uniform

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226981686991

So the Commonwealth Games will be happening in late July/early August. We Aussies have already been treated to our country's uniform for the opening games (which doesn't look as horrible as it first appeared, although still pretty bad).

Then along came the Scottish uniform....oh good lord. No offence to the Scottish, but were you thinking?!

(Quick reference for our American brethren, the Commonwealth Games occurs the same year as the Winter Olympics and is basically countries that are, or were, part of the Commonwealth of Nations, competing in sports. There are a number of "Core" events and then the host nation is free to add on any other "recognised" sports of their choice. Some of the more unusual "core" events are things like Lawn Bowls, Netball, Rugby Sevens and Squash, while the typical Olympic sports such as cycling, diving, gymnastics, archery, rowing etc. are "recognised" sports and the host nation can add or delete them as they please. Disabled athletes also compete in classes for them, but they're part of the Commonwealth games, it's not a separate event altogether)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

We love the Commonwealths as it's an easy way to represent your country as all the different countries compete-so you have not just England,Scotland,Ireland and Wales,but the Isle of Man,Guernsey,Jersey,Alderney,the Falklands,Gibraltar,Ascension,St.Helena. Several friends here have made the England bowls team or are competing in one of the tiny teams-making the Sark team is dead easy-there's only about 100 people on the island!
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

That is uh ... um ... colorful. Sometimes I am glad New Zealand colors are white and black. Makes it harder to make the uniform an embrasment (doesn't stop them trying)

Comment

Quoth purple View Post
        That is uh ... um ... colorful. Sometimes I am glad New Zealand colors are white and black. Makes it harder to make the uniform an embrasment (doesn't stop them trying)
        Our uniform at least doesn't resemble a parody of the American flag. (We use green n gold on ours, as opposed to red, white and blue, our flag colours)

We've had some shockers for team uniforms though. The gymnastics team uniforms in particular spring to mind. I believe it was the Sydney Olympics and either the Manchester or Melbourne Commonwealth Games that had the worst ones for the women (green velvet on the Sydney Olympics ones and the Commonwealth ones were this weird purple and black combo)

Comment

It's not the kilts, or the design, it's the colors! Those colors are just awful. Surely they could've come up with a better color combination than turquoise, yellow-brown and Pepto-Bismol pink?!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Should have gone with the Hunting Stewart tartan... And a better shirt.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              Should have gone with the Hunting Stewart tartan... And a better shirt.
              Hunting Stewart, that's this one, right?

Yes, that's infinitely better. I like that blue and green. Maybe with a white or black poet shirt. A nice classic combination that doesn't cause eyestrain headaches!
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                That is one of them. Can't go wrong with white and/or black accents.

DISCLAIMER: I am a little biased. Virescit vulnere virtus!
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  DISCLAIMER: I am a little biased. Virescit vulnere virtus!
                  You're only biased because you have better taste in colors than whoever designed the Scottish uniforms. (Then again, so did the Sixth Doctor...)
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Yes, that's infinitely better. I like that blue and green. Maybe with a white or black poet shirt. A nice classic combination that doesn't cause eyestrain headaches!
                    That looks like a pencil case...(seriously, there are these giant tartan pencil cases out there that are commonly used as "communication folders")

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post

We've had some shockers for team uniforms though. The gymnastics team uniforms in particular spring to mind. ....green velvet on the Sydney Olympics ones and the Commonwealth ones were this weird purple and black combo)
                      Sometimes I think the designers are just competing to see who can make the most hideouse uniforms.

I don't actually mind the tartan it is the fabric of the shirts with the tartan I dislike.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        It's not the kilts, or the design, it's the colors! Those colors are just awful. Surely they could've come up with a better color combination than turquoise, yellow-brown and Pepto-Bismol pink?!
                        I saw some comment along the lines of the how the aqua color of the dresses and shirts was so bad it clashed with itself.
                        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

They might have pulled off the tartan if it was in jewel colors but yeah the colors as is look like something a little girl from the 1960s would wear.

That Hunting Stewart plaid would work nicely.

The Aussie colors must have been picked by a color blind person.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

It gets better

Take a GOOD look at the Aussie uniforms.

Comment

Working...
                            X