This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective reading comprehension

Gee, whyisit people only read what they want to read?

While I was stocking corelle dish sets in housewares today I got a call from one of the registers. Some of the corelle sets are on sale for about $24; specifically the ones normally priced at $40. Apparently some crotchety old skinbag selected one of the sets that was normally $75 (due to more intricate designs on the dishes) and expected it to be $24.

Crotchety old skinbag marched her wrinkled ass back to the corelle dishes, secure in her self-righteousness, to point out our obvious chicanery.

COS: (basically throwing her copy of the ad at me) SEE! IT SAYS 16-PIECE CORELLE DINNERWARE SETS ARE $24!
    Me: (pointing to the smaller type below the bolded price)It also says the regular price for those $24 sets is $40. Otherwise if you buy this $75 set you will get 40% off. Which would be (scans UPC) $45.
    COS: HARRRUMMPH! YOU SHOULD MAKE THAT MORE CLEAR! I DON'T WANT THIS THEN! (dumps $75 corelle set in my cart for me to re-shelve and stomps off)

Wheelchair Tabasco Flashbulb? It's clearly stated in the ad that only the $40 sets are on sale for $24. In fact, that's 40% off the price, just like everything else. Try reading the smaller type next time. Or, if your eyesight is failing you, have somebody point it out to you or be a damn human being and don't scream at me when I point it out to you!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Now, IP . . . you know better than to expect customers to not act like complete and utter assholes when they're clearly in the wrong.

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for you.

Seriously though, I suspect it may be a Self-Preservation thing going on that I'm unaware of. More research is needed to determine if this is in fact some sort of strange phenomenon.

What I mean by Self-Preservation thing is that simply, whenever someone feels as if they've been wronged (whether it be actual or perceived) they react in the offensive, thinking that they are defending themselves in some way and therefore protecting themselves from further humiliation.

In fact, the opposite effect happens. Which is why we have CS.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Almost exactly the same thing happened when I worked in Housewares.

The blue and white set was about $65. The other set with the same pattern but in multiple colors was $115 (I think). This woman was totally haggling with us over the price.

SC: It's the same pattern.
      Me: Yes, it is the same pattern, but the multiple colors require multiple firings of the china, which raises the cost and, therefore, the retail price.
      SC: It's the same pattern.
      Me: Yes, it is the same pattern, but the multiple colors require multiple firings of the china, which raises the cost and, therefore, the retail price.
      Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is then repeated with my manager, who finally gave up after explaining it for the fifth time, and just told the woman, "No, that's the price. I can't change it." I loved my manager.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

too bad she didn't smash anything when she threw it down, or she'd be apologizing to a judge. And if she didn't apologize even then, she'd be left apologizing to the lesbian, granny ho who won her in the prison bingo game and gets to rape her.
        Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

It doesn't matter how obvious it is, someone will not read the sign correctly. Just yesterday I had an old woman in my line. Now, we have a shelf of stoneware mugs, matching plates, and in the middle of those two things, cheap plastic fish-shaped plates. Cute, but leftover from an earlier set of seasonal merchandise, so they were marked 75% off. The "75% off" was about 2.5 times larger than the descriptor "Fish-shaped plates" or whatever, but the descriptor was by no means tiny or hidden.

The woman still thought the mugs were 75% off. Come on, lady, these are the same mugs you see at EVERY dollar store for a dollar, people love them, and we're obviously not at the end of our stock. Why would we sell them for $.25?! And why do you act offended by ME when YOU can't read signs with large print, directly under the merchandise to which they refer?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            be a damn human being
            I think she's being a DAMNABLE human being.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
            X