This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fee!

I was monitoring self checkouts, and a woman was using them on a night when the screens and the pinpads were loading slowly, because of heavy traffic. She'd finished ringing her order, and was trying to pay with her credit card. Apparently t he payment went through, because her receipt printed out, and the machine began making an urgent beeping noise and telling her not to forget her cash below the scanner. I told her not to forget her cash, as she was walking away without it.

She got a horrified look on her face and shouted "I shouldn't have any cash! I wouldn't DO that! I pointed her to the beeping machine and said "You've got 20 dollars sitting right here, if you leave it then you've just lost the money." She picked up the 20, and made that awful beeping noise stop, thankfully, but started up with a noise of her own (complaining). "Oh my God I wouldn't have done that! Now I'm gonna have to pay a FEE!"

I knew, that no one could have pressed the button but her. It was completely and totally her own fault. Was she going to believe this? No. I sent her to customer service, telling her there was nothing I could do about it.

Of course, since it was her own damn fault, then there was nothing they could do about it either. The mild mannered manager told her that perhaps it was a glitch in the machines, and that he was very sorry. I heard "WELL YOU NEED TO FIX YOUR MACHINES THEN!" in a very hateful and nasty tone of voice. I then heard three or four variations on "Oh my God now I'm gonna have to pay a FEE!!!!"

I figured out what she'd done. Instead of waiting for the screen to load, she'd been pressing it like a maniac, and had selected cash back while the screen was still loading, but the buttons had become functional. Because of this, it started loading the next screen, so she never got to see the part where SHE had selected the cash back. She was the only one who could have done it. It was her own impatience, and not anything on the part of the machine, other than being a slow loader, which had contributed to her selecting the 20 back.

Her denials about how she "never would have done that" don't hold any water when she's too impatient to do her own transaction correctly.

Too bad you said something. The person behind her coulda left with a smile that gleamed like $20 bucks
    Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

I suffer from Impatient Stabby Finger Syndrome too. But I don't cause a scene when its my own damn fault.

She's lucky she only ended up withdrawing $20.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

She can give ME the 20 bucks if she don't want it....lol. Jeez, all she has to do is make a $20.00 payment on her card before the next billing cycle. & if they charge her a finance fee for a "cash advance" then that'll teach her not to be so damned quick at the stabby stabby...lol.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          She can give ME the 20 bucks if she don't want it....lol.
          No, she can give it to ME. Pay it forward and all that happy stuff.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Banks actually charge you for using the cash back offer? Really? Since when?

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
              Banks actually charge you for using the cash back offer? Really? Since when?
              The customer paid with her credit card. I think all credit card companies charge you if you use withdraw cash from them.
              I think with mine it's not a set fee, but they charge you interest from the moment you withdraw the cash.

Comment

Quoth Anastriel View Post
                The customer paid with her credit card. I think all credit card companies charge you if you use withdraw cash from them.
                I think with mine it's not a set fee, but they charge you interest from the moment you withdraw the cash.
                Actually, Discover let's it's cardholders withdraw up to $30 on an order and as far as I know, there is no charge for this, except for the extra money you take out being put on your bill at the end of the month. Maybe she was worried she just maxed out her credit card, not much better of an excuse, but an excuse.
                Well that was a bit like sand-blasting a soup cracker.

Comment

Working...
                X