Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I don't know what to make of these customers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I don't know what to make of these customers!

At my job where I am a cashier, I get people every once in awhile who take longer to complete the transaction because of numerous things, such as a wrong price, filling out a credit card app, or anything else that you can possibly think of that would hold up a line.
    The thing that really gets on my nerves is whenever this sort of thing happens, I always get a line forming behind me. Most customers don't care or even notice. But there are a few who like to pretend that they're being polite and considerate of others, when in actuality they are just making my job difficult. They say things like, "Why don't you help out this guy behind me?" to which I reply "You are fine, sir." It really gets on my nerves when they try to tell me what I should do, or who I should help, and it really pisses me off when they try to tell me how to do my job. I have been taught this, and also prefer to do it this way.... to take care of the customer in front of me, and then go on to the next one. If anyone starts to get impatient with me, then I am sure that a manager or supervisor can call them over to their register (there's always another one open just in case).
    They don't realize that I have to wait for a manager or supervisor to come over, talk to me and the customer to find out what is going on, have them void the whole thing, set everything aside, and then when the line finally dies down and we get back to the first customer, I have to re-ring everything.
    My point is, why can't these idiots just mind their own business and let me just take care of them first? So many times I wanted to say, "Look, those customers are fine, so why don't you let me worry about them? I'll get to them shortly!"
    Anyone else get customers like this?

No, actually. Well, yeah, I got coustomers like this when I was at CorpCoffee35, but I'm one of these coustomers, myself. As a heads up, they probably DON'T know that you'd have to void out everything, etc. They'd know it if they'd worked in retail and thought about it a couple of minutes, but I'd wager that most folks don't have an intimate knowledge of registers, in our multi-tasking world.

Comment

They probably feel bad about holding up the line. Yes, I know this is bizzarre concept!
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I am one of those people.

At most of the cashiering jobs that I had, there was usually a Suspend button that would suspend the transaction and print of a ticket. When it was time to unsuspend the transaction, you just scan the barcode at the bottom of the ticket and everything pops back up on the screen. I just figure that most places with somewhat updated systems have that feature.

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
          At most of the cashiering jobs that I had, there was usually a Suspend button that would suspend the transaction and print of a ticket. When it was time to unsuspend the transaction, you just scan the barcode at the bottom of the ticket and everything pops back up on the screen. I just figure that most places with somewhat updated systems have that feature.
          My place does have a save order button. However, in order to use it, I need to get a manager to come up with a key and code. Otherwise, it doesn't work. So often, by the time a manager comes up here and saves the order, the person is back/done/whatever and I have to get the manager again to reopen the order. So, it's often just not worth it.

Comment

I guess it's all about preference.

If someone is filling out an application I will move them out of the way so that I can continue transactions until they are done. I see no reason to allow my queue to build while someone fills out an app. I also don't need time to just stand there doing nothing but staring and waiting- I'd rather be busy and I'd rather my CSR's be busy. I'd also rather not have the other people in line getting annoyed at the wait time if it's avoidable.

As a matter of fact- I just set up an entire table for people to sit at, out of the way, while they do that stuff. If they won't sit there I move them to another area of the counter.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
              I just figure that most places with somewhat updated systems have that feature.
              I know stores in my chain, in my area don't. I didn't realize any registers anywhere had that feature actually! But then, I generally don't hold up lines at stores, and I can't find out until I have such a misfortune.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                The thing that really gets on my nerves is whenever this sort of thing happens, I always get a line forming behind me. Most customers don't care or even notice. But there are a few who like to pretend that they're being polite and considerate of others, when in actuality they are just making my job difficult. They say things like, "Why don't you help out this guy behind me?" to which I reply "You are fine, sir." It really gets on my nerves when they try to tell me what I should do, or who I should help, and it really pisses me off when they try to tell me how to do my job.
                I don't think you're being fair to these people.

They're TRYING to be nice. Seriously. They feel bad about holding up the line (and maybe trying to save you from the wrath of real SCs about the wait). Maybe they don't want to screw up your order time, if applicable.

Some stores have simple "suspend order" procedures. Some don't.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The registers at my store have a suspend button. It's like a toggle switch of sorts. You hit it once to save the order and go to another order. A receipt prints out for the suspended order, but it's really of little use to have the receipt. You hit it again when you're ready to recall the suspended order. It's a great little feature, and I end up using it multiple times a day on average. Usually, the only reasons I have to suspend orders are due to the shortsightedness of the customer -- need to get more money, forgot ID for tobacco or beer purchases, have change in the car because they don't want to bust a bill, you know piddly reasons that really are quite stupid and could be avoided with some forethought. It doesn't annoy me, though. I just make them wait in line unless someone in line is generous enough to let them go next. If they throw a fit about waiting, I tell them that they had their chance to get through the line, but they blew it. Tough luck for them. Maybe if they have to wait in line enough times, they'll get the point and think about it. HAHAHA!!!! Yeah, it's a steep learning curve, I know, but it's nice to dream big.
                  The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

BeckySunshine beat me to it.

You are complaining about customers who are NOT sucky...they are trying to be considerate. They know a lot of your customers are self involved and that you dont' want a line of angry people to form any more than any of them want to wait in one. So they are letting you know, "Hey, I don't mind if go on to the next guy and then return to me when I'm done so you don't get a bunch of impatient people waiting."

Don't take it so defensively. They aren't trying to tell you how to do your job. They are letting you know they won't be angry to be bypassed by the next guy and to go ahead and expedite things if you want.

Comment

We too have a save order button, usually used on DT, but unfortunately it gets clogged with backorders from DAYS before because we hardly use it. On top of that, when our manager TL goes to void the saved order, she REFUNDS it because she's a stupid **** (I'm mad right now) that never pays attention to anything we try to say to her. (TL, just void it, it hasn't been cashed out... No, no, I have to refund it, it's in the register.) And the order stays right where it is in the saved stuff, because it HASN'T been removed. I no longer use this unless in an emergency because of her antics.
                      Purveyor of all chickeny goodness, and chicken ninja of the highest grade!
                      "With it's indiscriminate slaughter of organic tissue, nothing can survive." - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Working...
                      X