This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs and other messes

This has been my worst month in a long, long time.

Most of you know that my beautiful, loving, priceless kitty developed cancer and had to be put to sleep a few weeks ago.

As if that weren't bad enough, I haven't had steady work since I was fired two years ago. I've been barely scraping by. I signed up with a website to provide travel/tourism experiences, and got a little work here and there. Last year, I started getting more work from them.

This year, I came up with another experience to offer, and got work from that. People were interested, they seemed to like it, and I thought all was going fairly well.

Last week, I got an email from one of the people at the company. It seems that two people had complained about the experience. These reviews are posted online. I read them, and could not believe that the people said not a word to me about it, but waited until they were online to trash me and the experience I was offering. Bitch, bitch, bitch. One person complained about being taken to a place they had already been - how was I to know that?

I've told the person at the company that I do not want to continue offering this experience. I also asked for these reviews to be taken down, because anyone checking the site will see all this shit about me posted right at the top of the page. You have to scroll down to find the positive reviews, which nobody will want to do after reading that venom.

The ironic thing is that the other experiences have rave reviews. I really fucked up royally on this one. There's simply no way to make it right. Canceling the experience is the only thing to do, and since it won't be offered anymore, I think I have the right to ask the company to remove those negative reviews.

What a huge, fucking mess. I cannot believe what a month this has been.

Ugh, that sucks.

If they hesitate on taking down those reviews, remind them that negs make their company look bad, not just you...and that affects their overall business (read: cash money). Hit 'em where it hurts.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What a surprise!

I got a very nice email from the company today. They are very understanding. They're going to see about taking down the negative reviews. Even more surprising, they want to continue with this experience. It's not being offered now, but evidently, quite a few people are still interested in it.

So, they're suggesting that we work together on improving the experience so that people really go for it and enjoy it. I responded that I'm up for it, and I told them about some of the problems I've had in creating and maintaining it.

Here's hoping!

Comment

Crossing my fingers for ya
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Crossing my fingers for ya
          Thanks! It was a very nice thing to see, in a month of shitty happenings.

Comment

One of my wife's college roommates used to write movie reviews for a newspaper. We both read her reviews and while I rarely agreed with her opinion, her opinion was well written. When the paper went on-line and started letting "readers" comment there were several folks that said "if she doesn't like the movie then it will probably be a good one." Some how the subject of comments came up and I asked did those comment bother her. She replied 'No, she wrote the articles to please herself and readers happened to agree great and if not too bad for them." (She tended to like the artsy symbolic movies.) Many years later she and many other local columnishts were laid off and converted to free-lance writers. She didn't care for that and got into DIY type cable TV show production and makes a good living doing that. My wife has met several of the hosts/stars of such channels.
            So the TLDR version is write to please yourself and the boss.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              One of my wife's college roommates used to write movie reviews for a newspaper. We both read her reviews and while I rarely agreed with her opinion, her opinion was well written. When the paper went on-line and started letting "readers" comment there were several folks that said "if she doesn't like the movie then it will probably be a good one."
              Mrs. IA and I have been like that with movie reviews in our local paper. If the reviewer panned it, we must see it. I figured we just had opposite tastes from the reviewer.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X