• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Can I help you find something?"

"Yeah ... I'm looking for that thing. You know, it's on TV"

:::me running screaming to the back:::

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
      The only Canadian-ish thing I've had is some maple candy my grandpa brought back from one of his vacations. That vacation was actually to somewhere really close to the border and he crossed the border a couple times so I'm not entirely sure where he picked them up but they were in the shape of maple leaves and came in a little red and white box so I'm assuming they were Canadian.
      Growing up in Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs to be exact) we were very close to the Vermont border. We used to get maple candy all the time. I'm not very fond of it but my Mom loved it.
      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

...Kinder eggs?Haggis? Neither of which you Yankees are allowed to have.

We have Oh! Henry bars here.There's a whole rash of American candy stores popped up,many rather expensive-£2 for a Three Musketeers or a Baby Ruth,£6 for a box of Twinkies,£12 for a box of Hostess cupcakes ...ha...ha...ha, but I have found a good little one where I can stock up on funny coloured Skittles and M&Ms,Milky Ways and Smarties that....aren't what they should be.. and learn what Swedish Fish are.
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Haha, I'm the only person who likes American Smarties, and I don't even care. They're a very old candy (from the 40s or 50s?) and are just sugar. I like the texture, if you bite them just right. Smartarts don't have the same texture. I never understood the hype for Swedish Fish, but I'm not a fan of gummy candy. I like my candy to be chocolate, sans coconut. (texture) Especially Reece's peanut butter cups, and Lindor truffles.

Oh, you know what I wish we had MORE OF here? Baklava! When I was little, my friend's grandma would always have some for us, and I would also get some as a treat at the one small health-food store in town. It's not super easy to find, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

You may keep haggis.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Oh, you know what I wish we had MORE OF here? Baklava!
            Don't have any Greek restaurants around you? Not littered with them around here, but we have enough. Seems like most of the diners here are owned by Greeks. Which reminds me, the local Greek Fest is usually in late October.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

All of the grocery stores where I live sell Baklava. And it sucks. Tastes like honey and sand imo. But maybe I just don't like Baklava...

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                All of the grocery stores where I live sell Baklava. And it sucks. Tastes like honey and sand imo. But maybe I just don't like Baklava...
                NOT made properly. it should be super flakey and delicate not sand like
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Have what you wish / it's yours, true dish / How 'bout a little more Baklavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    Have what you wish / it's yours, true dish / How 'bout a little more Baklavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                    Have some of Column A / Try ALL of Column Beeeeee
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                      All of the grocery stores where I live sell Baklava. And it sucks.
                      Where in the store? Yes, I know it probably would not be great, but I would at least try some. I hadn't thought of getting it from a restaurant... I really hardly ever eat out, and almost never order dessert. Maybe I could get it takeout? I think we have at least two Greek places in town, but I haven't been to either of them.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Toffee Crisp? Yes. Coffee Crisp? *shudders*

It's not candy, but the one US snack food I miss the most is Fritos. None of the extortionate import places near me stock them... I'm going to Coventry in November and they have an entire store that's just US imported foodstuff, rather than the places near me where it's a small part of the business (either Tesco or small independents); hopefully they'll have some!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

For anyone wondering. The kinds of candy that people look for at my work that we actually have:

Coffee Crisp
                          Aero
                          Aero Mint
                          Aero Orange
                          Neopolitan Coconut slices
                          Canada Mints (Wintergreen/Peppermint/Spearmint)
                          Sesame Crunch
                          Zagnut
                          Skybars
                          Valomilk
                          Mallocup (Milk/Dark)
                          Razzles
                          Smarties (small/medium/LARGE, and very American pressed sugar type)
                          Necco Wafers (Assorted/Chocolate)
                          Wintergreen Patties (like York Peppermint Patties but...wintergreen.)
                          Charleston Chews (Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry)
                          Turkish Taffy (Banana/Chocolate/Strawberry)
                          Sugar Daddies (Sm/Med/Large)
                          Sugar Babies
                          Peach Stones
                          Sour Cherry Balls
                          Licorice Scotties
                          Violet Mints
                          Bazooka Bubblegum
                          Pine Bros
                          Ludens
                          Fun Dip
                          Spray Candy
                          Ring Pops
                          Mary Jane
                          Bit O Honey
                          Fireballs
                          Lemonheads
                          Candy Cigarettes
                          Sixlets
                          Chuckles
                          Crows
                          Bottlecaps

We have a SHIT TON more candies than these, these are just the ones people start going HAM over when they're like "You're to YOUNG to remember these" and I'm just like, "You know I've lived here for a long time...like...I was raised here...like...your childhood candies have been around for literally my ENTIRE LIFE."

What we do not sell that Ruins Christmas:

Blackjack Gum (discontinued)
                          Teaberry Gum (discont.)
                          Snaps (discont.)

and...

Chocolate Babies. Not discontinued. We just got tired of inappropriate old people calling them "N----- Babies.")

Comment

Working...
                          X