This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking-Out Courtesy

You'd think people would have more manners these days, but I guess I'm holding out.

Anyway, when people check out of a motel you'd think they'd at least come up to the front desk to hand the key in.

But when we have guests who can pay for their stay as soon as they check in, it really drives me up the wall that they think they can just leave early before the desk opens and not even leave the key in the early-hours box.

The other day we had a last minute booking that called up saying they would be arriving till 10:30 when we close at 9:00. So we get their details and credit card info to reserve the room and leave the key in their room. We then sent a message to their phone telling them to come to the front desk in the morning so they can sign the agreement form for incidentals.

But when I show up the next morning and notice their door is open a crack, the jerks had already left and left the key in the room. For security we have to confirm their booking with a Photo ID and a signature, and put their card through the system.

So I had to manually punch it through but Christ, have some courtesy goddammit.

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
    The other day we had a last minute booking that called up saying they would be arriving till 10:30 when we close at 9:00. So we get their details and credit card info to reserve the room and leave the key in their room. We then sent a message to their phone telling them to come to the front desk in the morning so they can sign the agreement form for incidentals.
    Add a clause to the paperwork saying that they will be charged for additional nights if they don't properly complete the paperwork.

"You never checked out; we assumed you still wanted the room, so we kept charging you."
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-15-2016, 11:54 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

While certainly the group that never checked in should have done so, some of your other customers may be used to staying at hotels where check-out is not necessary. I travel semi-frequently for business, and I haven't checked out of a standard chain hotel in years; my bill is stuck under the door at night, and on the rare case of incidentals, I get e-mailed an updated bill.

Comment

Wait wait what....I've never been to or even heard of a hotel that doesn't have someone at the desk 24/7. Seems like it would be hard to run this type of business that way.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

And to close at 9 no less. I have gotten a ton of late-night arrivals. There's a hotel near mine that closes even earlier at 8. I can't wrap my head around this kind of business model.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Wait wait what....I've never been to or even heard of a hotel that doesn't have someone at the desk 24/7. Seems like it would be hard to run this type of business that way.
            There are one or two hotels in my area (that I know of) that close down the front desk at say 9pm. These hotels are more seedier and cater to more transiants and "longer term" guests. I know of several on the other side of the river that are of the same stripe.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

As a frequent traveler, I never checkout, it wouldn't even occur to me to drop the key off, doubly so if the office is closed. When I do, rarely, get physical keys I would just lock them in the room when I'm ready to leave.

I know some hotels like to close out accounts, but that's what email is for. I think of it just as a process efficiency, less need for paperwork. I.e. when I get a uber and the ride is over, you just jump out, efficient

Though if you collect a cash key-deposit, even for credit card bookings, you would see a increase in office visits, I'll bet.

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
                But when I show up the next morning and notice their door is open a crack, the jerks had already left and left the key in the room. For security we have to confirm their booking with a Photo ID and a signature, and put their card through the system.

So I had to manually punch it through but Christ, have some courtesy goddammit.
                So what time do you have someone at the registration desk in the morning?
                Last edited by EricKei; 08-31-2016, 03:19 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Working...
                X