This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shyla View Post
    There are so many things you want to say but of course the customer would be offended. I wish you could say "What a mean thing to say" or "Why would you want me to lose my job?" or "How kind of you to wish bad things to happen to me."
    Why would you want me to lose my job? Then I won't be able to take care of my handicapped twin brothers whose guardian I became when our parents died in a horrible freak sewer gas explosion!

Comment

I'd ask them what job they do. Something office-y perhaps? "Oh bummer, I read a research article that concluded up to 80% of office jobs will be automated within a decade, that's if it's not been outsourced to India or Eastern Europe beforehand?"

Comment

Funnily enough, I've never had anyone say I'll lose my job. Probably because these people are asking me questions, and wanting help. Now, I'm not saying that they couldn't have gotten these answers from Google, or that technology couldn't make my job obsolete. I think that most DIY questions are answered online, and most/all products of this nature are available online. I've even had people tell me how much cheaper things are on Amazon. I say "wow, that's a great deal!" If a person can't reason why an online giant like Amazon can sell things for cheaper than a smaller brick and mortar chain then I'm not going to try to explain it.

Until there is a better way to see the color and feel the texture of fabric, there will be physical fabric stores. Maybe the chain I work for will keep up with the times (we're starting buy online, pick up in store soon), maybe it won't and will follow other chains into bankruptcy. Who knows. I just know that until everyone stops wanting to talk to an actual human, my job is relatively safe. What customers probably don't know is that I LOOK FORWARD to the time I get out of customer service. If my job transitioned to just working in a giant warehouse, not talking to customers, it would be a positive change. So their threat is not very effective.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

YUP pizza and ordering/delivery will go 100% automated in 5 - 10 years

I came across this little article/interview with a Dice pizza executive on another board.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/16/domin...-ceo-says.html

sorry I believe this will NEVER happen. This means the SCs will be required to ACTUALLY go outside of their residences to get said pizza order via either a drone OR self-driving (no driver or human involved) vehicle. Stifferina who wants stuff OR believes that something was ordered but not on the order (meaning NEVER ordered), to the "Where is XYZ or ASB or GHI???????? !! elevendy eleven.

Hotels and most apartment buildings are going to be REAL FUN in an automated world.

PLUS add in the fact that self-driving vehicles will be beat upon or vandalized or "captured" NO franchise I know of has that kind of money to throw around.

Drones on the other hand are somewhat cheap even these days BUT and you should see this coming the modern day equivilant of Fox Hunting ( as seen in this recent Mountain Dew commercial here: Mountain Dew Drone Hunting. AND in the fact that all of the juvinille delinquets, both YOUNG AND OLD will be doing the same thing as in the commercial but just for the "fun of it" maybe with nets, or slingshots or paintball guns, or rocks, or other heavy objects or even real guns.

Wishful thinking on the pizza executives parts BUT not really applicable in the REAL world.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You mention executives and the real world in the same sentence? Dreamer.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              You mention executives and the real world in the same sentence? Dreamer.
              Yeah I know But one can only hope
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Air_Stewardess View Post
                I'd ask them what job they do. Something office-y perhaps? "Oh bummer, I read a research article that concluded up to 80% of office jobs will be automated within a decade, that's if it's not been outsourced to India or Eastern Europe beforehand?"
                Or factory work.

"Gee, isn't that the company that's moving all its production to China so they can pay the workers slave wages, pollute to their heart's content, and still get tax breaks? Sorry to hear that."
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  Wishful thinking on the pizza executives parts BUT not really applicable in the REAL world.
                  Have a little mercy on him, he doesn't get outside into the real world much and doesn't realize what dicks most people are.

He's like my Dad the engineer, who doesn't understand that robot pizza delivery will just lead to people kicking over the robot and taking it's stuff.... because he thinks like an engineer and not a normal person "There's no logical reason to knock over the machine, so why would you?" Because vandalism isn't logical.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Yup. Look at what happened to HitchBot in Philly last year (I'm still hoping for a reboot of the experiment, but knowing people in general it would probably end the same way)
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      YUP pizza and ordering/delivery will go 100% automated in 5 - 10 years

<snip>

The fun part will be watching their heads explode when they realize that automated ordering + automated delivery + drones 'losing' orders = no one to blame because they took all the people out of the loop.

Of course the real gotcha on this (for the execs) is that if they DO manage to automate delivery, they'll have no more payroll at the low end to cut. So they'll have to find some OTHER way to make things look better than they are.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 09-09-2016, 07:35 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, removed redundancy
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Have a little mercy on him, he doesn't get outside into the real world much and doesn't realize what dicks most people are.

He's like my Dad the engineer, who doesn't understand that robot pizza delivery will just lead to people kicking over the robot and taking it's stuff.... because he thinks like an engineer and not a normal person "There's no logical reason to knock over the machine, so why would you?" Because vandalism isn't logical.
                        And people are still going to be arseholes in the future, and want to not pay for stuff. XD

Adding in self checkout in the local supermarket actually created jobs rather than taking them away, cuz there always has to be a colleague standing there to a) babysit the customers who are completely clueless about how to use them, b) sort out the errors that the machines keep getting for no reason ("Unexpected item in the bagging area!") and c) make sure that customers do actually pay for their shopping rather than grabbing the bag and walking off.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

True...I took over SCO at my old job because I had a brain and some tech skills. Attendants simply bypassing something that went wrong was/is a big part of people walking out with stuff.

I doubt robots can do grocery stocking in a non-warehouse setting. In addition to us needing to answer (in some cases decipher) customer questions, there are way too many variables, obstacles, etc. Although we do have a supervisor who may as well be a robot...she mainly delegates, and is similar to E in that if she doesn't give you a task it isn't important.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I always requested SCO because you really didn't interact with the customers except for the assholes who did not know what the fuck they were doing. I always said before you use SCO you have to pass a SCO test.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever
                              Wait...are you talking about SCO's, or SC's...?
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth No Coupons 4 You View Post
                                I always requested SCO because you really didn't interact with the customers except for the assholes who did not know what the fuck they were doing.
                                I may "not know what the fuck" I'm doing, but I'm certainly NOT an asshole.
                                I hate being dragged to the SCO.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X