This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six-packs are not mix-and-match

I was running the front end again tonight, standing at my podium with my clipboard and radio staring into space and waiting for something to happen. Our evening rush was on (which thankfully is starting to get less insane now that school's back and the sun is going down at a reasonable hour), and the line for the self-checkout is snaked around my podium. As a young woman walks by me, I notice that most dastardly of chimerae in her hand - a six-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade where someone (probably the person holding it) has taken bottles of different flavors out of different packs to create a mix-and-match set.

We do not sell the six-packs this way, because it screws up our inventory and leaves us with loose bottles that we can't match back to their cases and can't legally sell individually. (We're in a "high impact area" where the city doesn't allow us to sell certain kinds of alcohol that're associated with public drunkenness and littering, and loose bottles of Mike's are included right along with your Steel Reserves and Thunderbirds and M/D and so forth.)

I politely tell the woman that we can't sell a case that's mixed up like that. She says it was like that on the shelf. She probably doesn't want to admit to mixing it up herself, but it's entirely possible another customer mixed it up while trying to create their own custom mix. I tell her people sometimes try to mix them up but that we're not allowed to sell them that way, and she says "Oh, I don't want it then." (Guilty!)

When I had a chance, I went around the corner to the beer aisle and, sure enough, the Mike's section was a mess. There were more jumbled up cases and loose bottles lying around than there were intact cases, and even one with a bottle of Smirnoff Ice wedged into it. I gathered up all the junk I could find and spent a good 10 minutes at the podium trying to put them back together again, and still wound up with four six-packs worth of unmatchable bottles that we have to send back to the vendor.

I don't get why people think this is acceptable. You wouldn't pick up a case of Twinkies, tear it open, take two out and swap them for two from a box of Ding-Dongs. Just because a six-pack is "open" and the bottles are easily removable doesn't mean it's customizable. And this is really only a problem with the Mike's - I've never seen anyone doing this with the craft beers, or the hard soda, or the Seagram's coolers. We have our cashiers trained to stop it if someone tries to bring a mixed six-pack through their line, but obviously people are getting away with it, as the self-checkout clerk probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been in the area.

Just another one of those things that makes my head hurt and make me want to cell customers "This is why prices are going up."

I'd put up a sign that says "No Mixing of Mike's", but we all know how well SC's obey signs...

Comment

Well, now, see, when I was growing up, it was COMMON FLIPPIN' SENSE that things don't work this way. But, as has been pointed out, 'common sense' ain't very common any more.

It continually astounds me how spoiled and oblivious the general public is. The pending horror show of an election in our immediate future is the result of the public being so utterly clueless.

Comment

There are some stores that offer self-made six packs, but I imagine that it is pretty obvious your store isn't one of them.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          There are some stores that offer self-made six packs, but I imagine that it is pretty obvious your store isn't one of them.
          The swamp does this, along with most, if not all or the local grocery stores. It's a big thing especially with craft brews; people like to mix and match and try different ones.

Of course, like everything else, the swamp has a half-assed method of selling self-made six-packs. The carriers are empty carriers for full six-packs of various beverages, with large Xs marked on them with a marker. This is supposed to tell the cashier that this is a mixed-up six-pack and not a full one from the manufacturer. Yet the one time I got one of those six-packs, the cashier scanned it as a full six-pack of Mike's.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm not excusing it, but I think I know why they do this with only the Mike's. It's all one brand. The other thjngs are different brands so people don't try to mix them.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
              You wouldn't pick up a case of Twinkies, tear it open, take two out and swap them for two from a box of Ding-Dongs.
              Methinks thou art somewhat optimistic to make this assertion...
              Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                You wouldn't pick up a case of Twinkies, tear it open, take two out and swap them for two from a box of Ding-Dongs.
                Only because it never occurred to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                  You wouldn't pick up a case of Twinkies, tear it open, take two out and swap them for two from a box of Ding-Dongs. Just because a six-pack is "open" and the bottles are easily removable doesn't mean it's customizable.
                  They let me do it last time!!111!!!! Your manager Bob said it was OK!!!111!!!!!

Comment

I can think of only two solutions to the OP's problem. Quit selling mike's or shrink wrap the six-packs. Of course, the SCs would complain about both.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer buys a donut from the Kwik-E-Mart, and liberally sprinkles the top of it with various candies, much to Apu's chagrin. "A Twizzler is not a sprinkle! A Jolly Rancher is not a sprinkle!"

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer buys a donut from the Kwik-E-Mart, and liberally sprinkles the top of it with various candies, much to Apu's chagrin. "A Twizzler is not a sprinkle! A Jolly Rancher is not a sprinkle!"
                        "Perhaps in Shangri-La they are, but not here!"

Comment

Our high-end grocery store sells craft beers as single bottles, and has plain white six-pack cartons to put them in. That way everyone knows to scan each bottle, and that it is not a single-price pack.
                          I no longer fear HELL.
                          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            I can think of only two solutions to the OP's problem. Quit selling mike's or shrink wrap the six-packs. Of course, the SCs would complain about both.
                            They would just view shrink wrap as an extra step to mix the 6 packs, and just take it off.
                            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

If enough people wrote to the company that makes Mike's asking for mixed flavor six packs, who knows? They might actually make them that way - give them a special name like Mixed Mike's or something. Some people would probably still mess with them though - because they want more of one particular flavor or something. You can't win.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X