This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't make the laws.

B on the service desk had a guy throw a full-on toddler tantrum and threaten to call the authorities because...

...we (as in Western Union and the law) require a social security number to send over $500. And buddy didn't want to give it because "nobody needs that!"

Well, he's partly right. It shouldn't be used as an identifier for non-tax purposes, but anything involving large sums of money...yeah. Especially if you don't seem to have the income to support sending $2K in one go. He didn't want to show ID either (also required).

We kinda wished he did follow through with his threat to call the cops, instead he just stormed out after trying (and failing miserably) to overturn the electric cart. All he actually managed to do was knock the door off the track, an easy fix. At least he didn't break the glass again.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Again!? How did that happen before? Was it an SC?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Wait, he broke a glass door and hasn't been banhammered...?

Comment

I love people who want to do business with a private (non-governmental) company, then try to assert a constitutional right and claim some violation of privacy when the company asks for information.

No one is forcing you to wire money, pal.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Nobody made you take your driver's exam, buy a car, buy the gas, drive it into my town, and illegally park it. So no, I'm not violating your rights by requiring a phone number if you're paying by credit card. Give it up or walk home.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I think that, perhaps, DS is saying that someone *else* has broken the door glass in the past.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yup, someone else broke the door. The first time I recall was some idiocy with a pallet jack (jack can clear the open doors with a quarter-inch to spare, jack with a pallet of glass bottles not so much*), the time after that was an SC's kid sitting in the motorized cart and kicking the door because...something.

* The right way to handle a full pallet jack through the doors is to cut power to the doors, open them fully and then swing both side panels outward to get a few more inches of clearance. But that takes planning
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-01-2016, 03:40 AM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When I worked at Food Lion in the late 90's they instituted a policy where, if you're cashing your payroll check for groceries, you needed to provide your thumbprint. I didn't agree with it but I don't make the rules. On the first day of this new policy, the local news was there filming reactions and opinions. During one of these transactions the news crew was at my register filming the entire thing. When I was finished ringing up the customer I informed the customer of the new policy. She didn't like it and didn't want to provide her thumbprint. I told her that if she wanted to pay with her paycheck, she'd have to. She was worried that we could use her thumbprint for evil purposes. I told her, "Look. I already have your name, address, 2 phone numbers, your driver's license number and the where you work. What the hell else am I going to be able to do with your thumbprint that I can't already do with the information you've already given me?" She thought about that for a moment and then she defiantly refused to provide the thumbprint. So I voided the transaction, I rolled her cart to the register behind me, told her to have a nice day and I started ringing up the next customer. The film crew was laughing their asses off as she stood their bewildered.

Comment

Quoth crinklestein View Post
                  the local news was there filming reactions and opinions. During one of these transactions the news crew was at my register filming the entire thing.
                  And if I were this customer, I also wouldn't want to be filmed and have my reactions put on TV.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    And if I were this customer, I also wouldn't want to be filmed and have my reactions put on TV.
                    I wonder how many customers offered to give the TV crew a free colonoscopy using their own camera.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth crinklestein View Post
                      When I worked at Food Lion in the late 90's they instituted a policy where, if you're cashing your payroll check for groceries, you needed to provide your thumbprint. I didn't agree with it but I don't make the rules. On the first day of this new policy, the local news was there filming reactions and opinions. During one of these transactions the news crew was at my register filming the entire thing. When I was finished ringing up the customer I informed the customer of the new policy. She didn't like it and didn't want to provide her thumbprint. I told her that if she wanted to pay with her paycheck, she'd have to. She was worried that we could use her thumbprint for evil purposes. I told her, "Look. I already have your name, address, 2 phone numbers, your driver's license number and the where you work. What the hell else am I going to be able to do with your thumbprint that I can't already do with the information you've already given me?" She thought about that for a moment and then she defiantly refused to provide the thumbprint. So I voided the transaction, I rolled her cart to the register behind me, told her to have a nice day and I started ringing up the next customer. The film crew was laughing their asses off as she stood their bewildered.

Back then I was stll at the ol' WD and we required thumbprint for cashing payroll checks as well back then. But then IIRC they had to go to the Customer Service desk before they could get their check cashed at the register to make sure we could accept it.

Of course, too many years of working either the back room or on the sales floor changing prices has me a bit rusty on the current front end policies/procedures. I do know that the Litter Box stopped cashing checks at the register a number of years ago and require customers to go to Customer Services for that - prevents the lines from getting backed up on the lanes and the customer doesn't have to wait in line behind someone w/a larger order to just get a few things to cash their check with.

But I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to watch that SC showing her butt w/cameras rolling. I imagine that was EPIC.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                      X