This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, hotels charge more than one tax

Last night on my audit shift a husband and wife came to the desk to pay cash for their night's stay. The rate was 105.00 (plus tax) When I asked for 116.55 the wife flipped out and told me that it was 105. I told her the tax rate was 11 percent and she went off on me some more.

She could not understand that hotels charge a state sales tax and usually a county tax. She swore up and down she has never paid that much before at other hotels. Funny thing is I have worked hotels for 27 years and all of them have charged more than just state sales tax.

And then I dared to ask her if she wanted a receipt (some people don't) and she muttered under her breathe "stupid question."

Her husband in the meantime was telling her to leave it alone the entire time.

There must be some fun times at home...

Comment

That's not bad for hotel taxes. I've seen some crazy taxs added on.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Taxes

I remember renting a room in downtown Toronto, and having three different taxes added to the bill.

Comment

state tax... county/city tax... lodging tax....

yeah... someone was being unreasonable there, and it wasn't you

Comment

I always quote room rates as $X plus tax. Never fails that some SC assumes I'm talking about the total charge.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I don't think hotel taxes are as awful as phone taxes, though...

Comment

Hotels get absolutely zero say in how they add the taxes to the bill, too. There are so many weird laws around luxury taxes and lodging taxes and the like.

Comment

I'm just thankful that my computer program at work lets me super quick get the tax added on there so when a client asks me "Oh and how much will that be?" (If they want to pick up food/meds for their little fluffer nugget) I can tell them including the tax.

A lot of people send in their husbands/children with a pre-written check so I learned to do that super quick. @_@;;
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Hotel tax can be big, and I've seen it noted on various travel sites, and hotel booking sites will have it all listed really clearly. It's not like it's new or something. Funny how a grown woman is thrown by this, when I remember learning about it when I was 18 years old going to anime conventions in Seattle which has a very high hotel tax. My friends and I got it all figured out, and zero tantrums occurred.

The receipts at my work often confuse people. Instead of printing the total tax rate which is like 8.7%, it has two lines, one for the state tax of 6.5%, and another for the city tax of 2.2%. So people are like "you charged me too much in tax!" or "you charged me tax twice!" Most are fine once I explain it, but some have gone away still thinking we charged them wrong. I don't know why it's not combined like at pretty much all other stores.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Some SCs simply lose their mind over taxes. I haven't decided which SCs I dislike more, the ones who complain loudly about having to pay tax, or the ones who try to negotiate the bill so they don't have to pay tax.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Politicians love hotel taxes. They can get revenue and still claim no new taxes. Taxes on out of towners don't count, right?

Comment

Quoth TheHats View Post
                          Hotels get absolutely zero say in how they add the taxes to the bill, too. There are so many weird laws around luxury taxes and lodging taxes and the like.
                          Amen to that. My immediate area had a small tax (local football team and stadium tax = .05%) on everything for about 10 or 15 years. It finally went away like 18 months ago. all retail places within like 20 miles had to charge this tax.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I bet explaining resort fees to her would be an utter delight.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                              Politicians love hotel taxes. They can get revenue and still claim no new taxes. Taxes on out of towners don't count, right?
                              Of course they don't. Ann Arbor was going to try to do that with nonresident income taxes a number of years back, until the Iron Bar of Reality hit them: a nonresident city income tax rate in Michigan can't be any higher than half the resident city income tax rate.

I suspect they just fell back on hotel taxes. After all, when 100,000+ people squeeze into the city on 8 fall weekends, you're going to make a lot of money that way...
                              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                              X