This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tales from the Dollar Store

Haven't posted any stories in a while so I thought it would be fun to post some wonderful Dollar Admiral suckiness.

You wouldn't be fishing for a freebie would you?

Guy comes in the other day and buys a bag of charcoal (the instant kind where you just set the bag on fire and you're ready to go). A couple hours later he calls and tells me that the bag he bought is defective and couldn't get to light, most likely due to the fact that the charcoal sits outside and probably got moisture in the bag. But then he delivers the classic SC line 'So what are you going to do for me?'

Ugh

I tell him to bring the bag back and I'll either give him a refund or he can swap it out for one that's been sitting inside. Surprise surprise, he tells me he already has the bag in the grill and had to use lighter fluid to get the bag to light. I tell him I need the bag to do the return so then he just hangs up.

Let's throw a giant fit in the store and get in a dick waving contest

This is from yesterday. My truck is supposed to arrive between 11-3. At 830am my pepsi vendor shows up to deliver. They need to borrow 3 of my u-boats, one for my weekly special order, one for a new display they're given for September, and a third just for help transporting all the pop into my store.

Well, about 9 my truck decides to show up, freaking TWO HOURS EARLY. This is bad. I'm by myself, trying to get pepsi checked in and having to deal with cranky old people who are mad I'm not standing at the register like a mindless sheep.

So I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to clean up my back room and let the truck driver in the back door and give him enough room to put all my new merchandise. Plus get all my cardboard and empty rolltainers out.

So things start to settle down a little, truck gets logged in and he starts unloading so I go back to Pepsi. Well a few minutes later the truck driver comes out and starts screaming at Pepsi because they're using too many u-boats and he needs them. So my vendor screams back at him that they're allowed to have these u-boats per the monthly mag and he shouldn't have been two hours early anyways. That just flustered the truck driver and he slinked away. Pepsi wins.

The sign was 20 feet away, nice try

Our leftover graduation party supplies are currently 90% off. So I condensed everything into a nice little section with a big sign and left plenty of empty space around it so people wouldn't get confused. Silly me.

Lady comes up with some twine and yells at the cashier because it didn't ring up 90% off. Uhhh, the BIG sign says Graduation merchandise 90% off, not only that, but the twine was at the other end of the aisle. The lady seriously thought the ENTIRE aisle was 90% off instead of that one tiny section where all the signs were.

Another company getting bought out apparently means we're getting bought out

In case anybody doesn't know, Kinfolk Dollar might be getting bought out either from my company or Dollar Elm. Well as soon as that news started last month, it's been like a game of operator. I've heard everything from all three dollar stores are merging into one and my personal favorite, Awful-mart is buying us and firing us all. Nevermind the fact that my company isn't the one being bought out.

Quoth drjonah View Post
    Another company getting bought out apparently means we're getting bought out

In case anybody doesn't know, Kinfolk Dollar might be getting bought out either from my company or Dollar Elm. Well as soon as that news started last month, it's been like a game of operator. I've heard everything from all three dollar stores are merging into one and my personal favorite, Awful-mart is buying us and firing us all. Nevermind the fact that my company isn't the one being bought out.
    News reports I was seeing at lunch said Kinfolk Dollar rejected your company's offer. Yeah, that's probably not going to help the game of Operator any...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post

Our leftover graduation party supplies are currently 90% off. So I condensed everything into a nice little section with a big sign and left plenty of empty space around it so people wouldn't get confused. Silly me.

Lady comes up with some twine and yells at the cashier because it didn't ring up 90% off. Uhhh, the BIG sign says Graduation merchandise 90% off, not only that, but the twine was at the other end of the aisle. The lady seriously thought the ENTIRE aisle was 90% off instead of that one tiny section where all the signs were.
      I know, right? Plus, why would twine ever go on clearance? At our store someone says "there was a sign!" and we go look for the sign (because we don't always get previous sale signs pulled) and she'll say "I got it from here!" and I say, "I don't see a sign..." And she points waaaaaay down the aisle at a sign. Also, she then loudly complains about how deceiving/misleading/confusing it is. She'll then threaten to not buy the fabric, expecting me to cave and override. I say okay, then.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

On the BBQ thing -- I recall watching a fairly recent one of those "internet myths debunked" videos from Mental Floss...and one that turned out to be completely true was the idea that Doritos make damn good kindling. Who'da thunkit?
        Pepsi wins.
        FATALITY.

On buyout -- Sounds like they have both of them as suitors, and that one bid was recently rejected. Who knows? x.x Might be time to update the ol' resume, just in case...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          On the BBQ thing -- I recall watching a fairly recent one of those "internet myths debunked" videos from Mental Floss...and one that turned out to be completely true was the idea that Doritos make damn good kindling. Who'da thunkit?
          FATALITY.

On buyout -- Sounds like they have both of them as suitors, and that one bid was recently rejected. Who knows? x.x Might be time to update the ol' resume, just in case...
          I work for Dollar Admiral so I'm safe

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
            The lady seriously thought the ENTIRE aisle was 90% off instead of that one tiny section where all the signs were she could bulldoze some employee into giving her the sale price on an item she probably knew darn well wasn't part of the sale.
            Fixed for accuracy.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              and one that turned out to be completely true was the idea that Doritos make damn good kindling. Who'da thunkit?
              Seems logical - they're a thin, rigid medium (i.e. a pile of them will allow air to get at them from all sides) with a high oil content (i.e. easy to burn).

As for the buyout, my understanding is that Kinfolk Semolian is the target, Buck Bush made the original offer, and Dollar Admiral made a competing offer.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X