X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming does not change reality

...Shocking, I know

This happened today. I just changed the make/models of the cars for this story.

SC: You need to change my ad. Somebody told me it says *Mustang. It's not a Mustang, it's a *Charger!
    Me: Ma'am, you do realize you've been running this ad worded this way for some time, right?
    SC: Yes and it's wrong. It's not a Mustang! You guys did it wrong.
    Me: They're not even the same make, and Ford Mustang does not sound anything like Dodge Charger, so you must have given us this wording. Also, the ad has been running this way since June.
    SC: *more complaining, more griping, yelling, all on the theme of "You did it wrong, you made the mistake, I've been running it this way since last year and now you changed it....."
    Me: Ma'am, I can change the ad for you, but there is no way the mistake is ours. Where would we get "Ford Mustang" from if you didn't give it to us that way?
    SC: I DON'T KNOW BUT IT'S YOUR FAULT!! IT'S ALWAYS BEEN A CHARGER!

This doesn't convey the snarky, snippy snipe of her tone, or the fact that she mumbled a lot and sounded drunk. The convo went round & round for about 15 minutes.

I changed the ad for her and emailed my supervisor a screen shot of customer's list of transactions. I see that I took the first ad that read Ford Mustang back in June; before that she ran the Charger; before tha, she ran several other cars. The ad history shows that I did not duplicate the original ad, I took a brand new ad from scratch. She had to give me that info. I don't make up info that goes into someone's ad.

I shouldn't even have discussed it with her, I know. Shoulda just changed the ad and let the super deal with the rest. I hate liars.

*Not the actual makes or models, I just chose those at random for the story.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Just curious, any ads I have placed I have sent pictures, company info, logo, text etc, and a sorta/kinda description of what I want, the advertiser has a sort of design build service where they make it look like real people designed the ad, then they send me a copy, for approval. It doesn't go until I approve. Even the obit I ran in the newspaper was emailed to me for approval, with the picture, before it ran.

Is there not some sort of approval process for customers to confirm, 'Yes, this is what I want, go with it'?
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Almost always, yes. Doesn't always matter, tho. We've ended up giving free ads to people who gave us specific instructions, gave us feedback and adjustments, then approved the final ad, but complained about something being wrong (this time, their PHONE NUMBER) on an ad they had seen multiple times and had no problem with....after it had already run for 3 weeks/issues x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like the woman in question is selling one car after another. Is she licensed as a dealer? If not, the government body that licenses dealers might want to have a word with her. After all, from what the OP said, the woman is probably a "curbsider".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Sounds like the woman in question is selling one car after another. Is she licensed as a dealer? If not, the government body that licenses dealers might want to have a word with her. After all, from what the OP said, the woman is probably a "curbsider".
          Yeah, I think most states have a law where if you sell more than 4 - 5 cars in a year you're required to have a dealer's license.

Comment

I see a "curbstoner" at work here...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              If not, the government body that licenses dealers might want to have a word with her. After all, from what the OP said, the woman is probably a "curbsider".
              At the very least your state's revenue department--they may be missing out on the sales tax.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                At the very least your state's revenue department--they may be missing out on the sales tax.
                In my state, the clerk's office collects sales tax at the time of transfer, even in private sales with no dealer involved.

Comment

For most ads, if they're taken by phone we just read them back. Some people want a proof, which we can email; you'd be surprised how few people want to bother with that, and how many say they don't have a computer (probably just don't want to give out their email address). Some ads are placed through the online system by the customers, and they are shown a preview before they pay. That doesn't stop some of them from claiming that "we" put in the wrong item, wrong phone, wrong price, etc.

Death notices are ALWAYS proofed. We still get the occasional funeral director who doesn't bother to read them or have the family of the deceased check them.

In NYS, if you sell five cars in a calendar year, you are considered a dealer. This customer hasn't run enough cars within a year's time for that, but I still think she either screwed up and gave us the wrong car info, or sold the one car and decided to re-run the previous one and blame it on us. The two cars were not a Ford Mustang and a Dodge Charger but they were other makes and models that do not sound ANYTHING alike, so it's not as if we could have simply misheard what she said.

Comment

I had a lovely lady start cursing and becoming hostile when I tried to tell her I could TS with her son who was at home X state while she was in Y country. I simply couldn't set up a WO if it was needed.

When I said I understood she was frustrated she cut me off yelling that no I couldn't understand because I wasn't in her shoes and it had not happened to her.

I responded with a cool 'You're right, this didn't happen to me but I HAVE been in similar situations where someone else screwed up and I'm talking to someone who is trying to fix it; I still didn't take out my frustrations on them. I'm trying to help; do you want me to try or not?"

It shut her up. I've no idea where I got the balls to say that. I'm just now scared I'll say the wrong thing and wind up fired some day. ~.~
                    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I had a co-worker once who had a customer start yelling and cursing. She sat there, silently, for several minutes until he realized she wasn't responding, and he shut up. Then she said in a perfectly calm voice, "Now can we discuss the problem like two civilized adults?" He apologized. She was awesome.

Comment

It does however make reality louder. If you're the sort of person that equates volume with importance its basically a self gratifying delusion whereby they think they're bending reality to their own will.

The fact that you didn't concede merely means they were not loud enough.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          It does however make reality louder. If you're the sort of person that equates volume with importance its basically a self gratifying delusion whereby they think they're bending reality to their own will.

The fact that you didn't concede merely means they were not loud enough.
                          This is how my neighbors deal with difficulties. They scream louder and louder. Well, Princess Bitchface does anyway. She could shatter glass a block away.

Comment

Working...
                          X