This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK...yes, but WHY???

I have worked in retail management for nearly 11 years. Every once in a while I am STILL left shaking my head. A well dressed lady in her late-forties or early-fifties approached the service desk with a stack of instant lottery tickets about an inch and a half tall. Before scanning the tickets, I asked the customer if there were any winners over $100 in the stack...(then the fun began)

Lottery Lady(LL) replied, "yes, but why?"
    CSM: "So that I can make sure to have enough money to pay you for your winnings."
    LL: "oh...ok."

About four tickets in to stack the lottery machine beeps and flashes a message, "Game not supported." Thinking it odd, I set the ticket to the side and continued scanning.

LL: "Hey...why aren't you cashing those tickets in the stack?"
    CSM: "My machine says the game is not supported. Rather than slow the process I am setting them off to the side so I can look at them closer after I get the rest of the stack cashed for you."
    LL: "Ok....but why??"
    CSM: "Ma'am just trying to make the best use of our time together." And I return to scanning tickets. About twelve or so end up in the "needs further investigation pile."
    LL: "what about those???"
    CSM: "Ma'am, give me just a minute to look at them."
    LL: "what's the problem?? why can't you cash them??"
    CSM: "Oh...I see the problem. Ma'am, these tickets are from the Constitution state. I cannot cash them here in the Bay State."
    LL: "ok...but why?"
    CSM: "Ma'am, you need to take the tickets to a store in the Constitution state to be cashed."
    LL: "OK...yes, but WHY?"
    CSM: "Ma'am, because the Bay State only cashes tickets from their own lottery system."
    LL: "So you mean I need to drive ALL the way to the Constitution state to cash these tickets....but I am already HERE and I need the money NOW."
    CSM: "Ma'am, I have no way of cashing another state's lottery tickets...."
    LL: "OK...I GET IT BUT WHY???"
    CSM: "Ma'am...I understand you need the money. I understand that you are frustrated by this. However, the ONLY way to get your money is to take these tickets 5 miles down the road to the Constitution state where you bought them and cash them there."
    LL: "OK...but why are you being so difficult?"
    CSM: "Ma'am, let me get you the money for the tickets I cashed and you can drive the FIVE MILES down that road right in front of the store to cash these tickets."

LL huffs and puffs. She finally accepts the money for her winnings and stomps out of the store. While shaking my head, I watch her stomp across the parking lot and get into a very nice car that is registered in Constitution state.

...how can she supposedly get it and still be asking why?

Ow..... I do not understand why people get like this and it hurts my brain. *hands you chocolate and cookies* (Or chocolate cookies? Those too! *gives*)
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth carryonnow View Post
      Lottery Lady(LL) replied, "yes, but why?"
      Why ask why?
      Why not?
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth carryonnow View Post
        LL: "OK...I GET IT BUT WHY???"
        If you do get it, why do you keep asking "why?" Some people just cannot be bothered to think!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Wow, I don't think my son even asked "why" that many times when he was three years old!
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I hate the lottery with a passion.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Wow, I don't think my son even asked "why" that many times when he was three years old!
              I was just thinking of how much the conversation reminded me of inquisitive children who ask "why" to anything and everything.

Comment

I see Elvira has grown up. All that was missing was the "ok I love you buh bye"
                "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I can't get over the fact that was making a fuss over having to drive five miles to the Constitution State, especially when she lives there!

Comment

Well, it IS another state. I get people who ask me for shit, because they live to the state immediately to my south. And..I'm supposed to impressed by this fact, that they drove ALL the way from that state to shop in MY store. Nevermind that it's about 8 miles from the store to the stateline...
                    you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Living in Texas, I have to remind myself that other states are smaller, and some are really, really small, and thus it's reasonable to drive from one state to another regularly, possibly even multiple times a day. Otherwise, sometimes I find myself scratching my head wondering how people do that.
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

"But why?"

BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY IT IS!!!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
                          I was just thinking of how much the conversation reminded me of inquisitive children who ask "why" to anything and everything.
                          I was thinking similarly. Granted, I'm not a parent, but do have some kid experience.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I usually tell them that my state just doesn't play well with others.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                              Living in Texas, I have to remind myself that other states are smaller, and some are really, really small, and thus it's reasonable to drive from one state to another regularly, possibly even multiple times a day. Otherwise, sometimes I find myself scratching my head wondering how people do that.
                              I'm the same. I live in the smallest state in AUs, but even then it's still bigger than some European countries...

Comment

Working...
                              X