This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invade my house, you will not!

Spiders....They're trying to get in , one's already in my bathroom under that vent thingy close to the floor.

I know there's another on in the dining room somewhere and there's spiders with their webs just outside the sliding glass door.

Seriously they want IN! and I'm like 'Oh hell no!' I wanna kill em but I'm too scared to go near them in fear they'll come towards me! (or fall on me! ) I have a vacuum but it's not one of those one with the bags where you can easily dispose of it.

I wish J was here to kill them for me

Anyway to get rid of them with some distance or do I need to man up and take them head on...with violence?
    Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM.

Yeah...I just moved back home, my family is a bunch of slobs and I've spent the last 4 or 5 days trying my absolute hardest to get this house somewhat clean again and not such a breeding ground for....bugs.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'll be honest, I never thought this would work, but those Riddex boxes really work (they don't work in my current place because the wiring's shot but what you gonna do?). It'll take a few days to see results, but you'll see less creepy crawlies about after a while.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I had a giant blue bottle of some kind of general indoor/outdoor bug poison (then Mom the earth friendly one threw it away as soon as I'd moved home and put it somewhere)....I'd had the chance to spray it all over my window and in some corners in my old bedroom that I knew bugs would come in.

So far, I've only seen dead ones in here
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Perhaps you could put these along the perimeter?

Then again a flyswatter might be more practical
          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
            Perhaps you could put these along the perimeter?

Then again a flyswatter might be more practical
            a really long one!

What probably sucks is that there were two big black and yellow garden spiders hanging out in the front yard last year. They had pretty webs but whenever I saw them move, I got squeamish. Wish I took pictures ><

I don't think I saw any egg sacs but still, the thought of seeing more of them hanging out on the bushes does not comfort me, even if they're pretty to look at.

Comment

I qould fricking be in Canada quicker than the speed of light if I saw a small spider, let alone a bunch. Screw that. My manager had a problem with black widows last year. Forgot how she got them out.

Comment

I had black widows living between the screen and my window last year. Creeped me out. I think Dad got them with wasp spray. So you can always do that if you don't want to go near them. If it gets too bad, I'd call the exterminator. I have one coming out Friday ... for roaches *shudder*

Good luck!
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Keep in mind all spiders are carnivores, meaning if they want in there is food for them (aka other insects). It seems counter intuitive, but if you do nothing they will eventually exhaust the food source and move on.

I tend to take the Eco-friendly approach, but in every instance that I've noticed more spiders than usual the ignore them approach has always worked for me. They eventually go away on their own.

Also if your using insecticides you need direct sprays. Most spiders won't be affected by insecticides unless they are specifically designed for spiders (different species and all) and most insecticides work because the bug crawls through the stuff and gets it all over their body and then takes it back to the nest/hive. Spiders are solitary by nature, and their legs naturally keep their body off the ground (ie not dragging through the poison)
                  Last edited by Chanlin; 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Just remember- that old maxim about you never being more than 3 feet away from a spider at any point on the earth's surface is pretty much just a myth- like the myth about eating spiders in your sleep!

Also, yes, I know I'm evil.

Comment

Spiders eat bugs. Spiders are good.

But I still don't let them in the house.

Sign me:
                      Designated household spider killer (The Wife hates them as bad as you do).
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I don't mind them outside as much. If they're near the door or in, then I want them gone.

I remember when we lived in a tiny apartment, there was a St. Andrew's spider up in the corner ceiling. I tried killing it twice with bug spray but it wouldn't die. Eventually, I accepted that it was going to be there to catch the bugs and I just glared at it going. 'Fine...you earned your keep. Just stay up there to catch mosquitoes or I'll kill you.'

Comment

A friend of ours used to make a bargain with them. She told them if they stayed up high on the wall or on the ceiling, they could stay, but if they came down all bets were off...

She swore it worked.

Not for me. I trap them in a jar and take them outside (and let them go beside the nasty old lady's lawn next door ) I am not happy to do this, but I don't like to kill them. Most of the time.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Don't kill 'em! Sorry--I try to kill as few animals as possible. I just had a conversation with my latest 3/4-inch houseguest. I told it "As long as you don't crawl into bed with me, you're welcome to stay."
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Most spiders I leave be, but black widows are free game around here since we have a 2 year old. This house hadn't been lived in for over a year so they were EVERY WHERE. So far none, but I can't wait until we can get back home to Alaska where there aren't many bugs besides mosquitoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X