This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooker to freezer meal ideas

So, starting next week we're going to be doing some absolutely massive work on one of my Aunt's rental properties, it'll probably take us two months to get it into rent-able shape.

Since we're going to be exhausted most days and won't feel like cooking, I thought over the next few days I'd take advantage of my very large crockpot and make some things I can stick in the freezer and just reheat with very minimal effort on our part.

The two things I know I'm going to do are chili and meat sauce. Any other ideas?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

since i love to use my crockpot for my gaming group I've got several I can share...

of course adjust to tastes and dietary needs....

Easy Chicken and dumplings
    •4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in small chunks
    •2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    •1/4 cup onion, finely diced
    •2 cups water
    •1 chicken bouillon cube
    •2 10 oz packages refrigerated biscuits
    Combine all ingredients, except biscuits, in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. 40 minutes before serving turn crock pot on high. Tear or cut biscuit dough into 1-inch pieces. Add to your crock pot; stirring gently. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes or until biscuits are fluffed up and cooked through.

Crockpot Chicken and Rice
    •1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 4 pieces
    •1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
    •1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    •1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    •1 4.5-ounce jar sliced mushrooms - undrained
    •1/2 cup water
    •1 1/2 cups frozen sweet green peas - (from 1-pound bag), thawed
    •1 1/2 cups uncooked instant white rice
    In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, place chicken. Top with soup, onion powder, garlic powder, mushrooms and water; stir gently to mix and spread evenly over chicken. Cover; cook on low setting 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours.
    About 15 minutes before serving, stir thawed peas and the rice into chicken mixture. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 10 to 15 minutes longer or until rice is tender, add salt and pepper to taste.

Loaded baked potato Casserole (this isn't crockpot but its good to make in the morning or ahead of time, cover and keeps well for at least 2 days in the fridge covered)
    •32oz bag tater tots
    •1 cup milk
    •2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    •1 pound bacon
    •1 cup frozen peas
    •3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2.Warm cans of soup with milk while stirring.
    3.Cook bacon till desired doneness.
    4.In large bowl mix tater tots, soup/milk mixture, bacon, peas and 2 cups of cheese.
    5.Mix until everything is coated.
    6.Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
    7.Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Shredded beef with gravy
    •5 to 7 pound rump roast untrimmed
    •1 pack dry ranch dressing
    •1 pack dry Italian dressing
    •1 pack dry brown gravy mix
    •1/2 cup beef stock
    •1/2 cup dry red wine (OR water)
    1,Prepare roast by either beating it with a meat tenderizer, or stabbing it with a paring knife.
    2.Place in Crockpot.
    3.Mix dressings and gravy with beef stock and wine.
    4.Pour mixture over prepared beef.
    5.Set to low heat and let cook a minimum of 8 hours.
    6.Remove and shred with two forks.
    7.Serve over mashed potatoes and add gravy from pot.

•1 slow-cooker liner (we used Reynolds)
    •1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in chunks
    •2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
    •1 large leek, white and light green parts only, sliced (2 cups)
    •1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
    •1 jar (12 oz) chicken gravy
    •1⁄3 cup dry white wine
    •1 Tbsp flour
    •1⁄2 tsp salt
    •8 oz fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut in 1- to 2-in. lengths
    •1⁄3 cup thawed frozen peas
    Recipe Preparation
    1. Line a 3-qt or larger slow-cooker with liner. Put chicken, carrots, leeks and tarragon in slow-cooker. Pour in gravy. Put wine, flour and salt in gravy jar; cover and shake to mix. Pour into slow-cooker; toss to coat. Cover and cook on low 5 to 8 hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.

2. Turn to high. Add asparagus; cover and cook on high 10 to 15 minutes until asparagus are crisp-tender. Stir in peas.

Scalloped potatoes with ham
    Ingredients

•2 lbs peeled & thinly sliced potatoes
    •1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    •1/4 cup chopped onion
    •1/2 cup chopped ham, cooked
    •1 can cream of mushroom soup
    •1/4 cup water
    •1/4 tsp garlic powder
    •1/8 tsp salt
    •1/8 tsp pepper

Method
    •Place sliced potatoes in slow cooker. In a med bowl, mix shredded cheese, onion and ham. Mix with potatoes in slow clooker. Using the same bowl, mix toghether condensed soup and water. Season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over potato mixture.
    •Cover and cook for 4 hours on high.

Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken
    •2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    •2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    •1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
    •1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    •salt and pepper (optional)
    Directions:
    1.Place chicken breasts in the crock pot.

2.Mix the undiluted soups together with the garlic powder and pour over chicken.

3.Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours , until chicken is cooked through.

CHILI COKE ROAST

Chili Coke Roast Ingredients:
    1 beef roast, 3-4 lbs.
    1 can Coca-Cola
    1 package onion soup mix
    1 bottle chili sauce
    Directions:
    1. Place all ingredients in crock-pot and cook for 7-10 hours depending on size of roast.
    2. The meat will flake apart when done. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Barbecued Shredded Beef Ingredients:
    3 pounds beef roast
    2 onions, chopped
    2 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer
    6 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    salt to taste
    1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
    2 cups water
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Place roast in a large roasting pan and scatter chopped onions over.
    2. In a large bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
    3. Pour in beer, stir and add to roasting pan. Add water to the top of beef.
    4. Cover and cook in oven at 275 degrees F for 4 to 5 hours.
    5. When meat is cooked, shred meat with 2 forks, add barbecue sauce and mix well.

CROCK POT CRANBERRY BEEF ROAST
    Crock Pot Cranberry Beef Roast Ingredients:
    1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast
    1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
    2 Tablespoons butter
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Directions:
    1. Place onion soup mix in the bottom of a slow cooker.
    2. Place roast in the slow cooker, and top with cranberry sauce.
    3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
    4. Remove roast, and set aside. Set slow cooker to High.
    5. Whisk together butter and flour, and slowly mix into the liquid remaining in the slow cooker to create thick gravy. Serve with the roast.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I have more if you're interested.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
        dayum.....ask and you will receive!

We've made chilli in the crockpot tons of times, canned beans of your choice, mild green chillis, browned beef stew meat, spices, tomatoes and stuff. Don't really measure everything just put in what looks right and let it go.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Sarlon
          Oh my, yes. Those look fantastic.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Curries are always good for this. Since I don't eat them I do a batch of six or so for hubby and freeze 5 for him to defrost quickly whilst I do something else.

Tomato pasta (shell or tubes, not the spagetti type) meals - it does make the pasta a bit soft or hard if you aren't careful with making sure the water content isn't too high though. Also I try to slightly undercook the pasta if I'm know I'm freezing it. Cheese based pasta stuff doesn't work as well though.

Casserole/stews - it will go a bit mushy but will still taste good. You can chuck in some new potatoes once its defrosted (rather than cooking them in originally) which will help with stopping the mushyness.
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

French Dip Sandwiches

The ingredients:
              2 Tbs. oil
              2-1/2 to 3 lbs. beef roast
              Salt, pepper
              2 packages (1-ounce each) dry onion soup mix
              2 cups water
              2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
              1 package (16-ounces) sliced Swiss cheese
              Crusty buns or rolls

Directions: Over medium-high heat, heat olive oil in a large pot or skillet. While oil is heating, sprinkle all sides of the roast with salt and pepper. When the oil is very hot, carefully place the roast in the pan and sear it on all sides. (NOTE: This process shouldn't take more than a few minutes. You're only browning the outside of the roast, not trying to cook it through).
              Transfer the browned roast to your slow cooker. Sprinkle the onion soup mixes over the roast and add water and beef broth.

Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or on LOW for 8-10 hours. When the meat shreds easily with a fork, shred the entire roast. Serve on sliced crusty rolls with a slice of Swiss cheese. If desired, you can toast them before serving by broiling them in the oven for a minute or
              two.

Serve with the juices from the slow cooker as the au jus sauce for dipping.

I'll try to find more that I have, my nice crock pot got left in Alaska and crappy one I'm using now just likes to boil liquids on low so I don't use it as much. As soon as I can I'm getting a new one.

Comment

BBQ Pulled Pork

Get a pork roast, shoulder works well. Put it in your crockpot. Add a can of A&W root beer. Cook til it's falling apart. Remove the meat, shred it, and mix in your preferred bbq sauce. Portion and freeze for sandwiches.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

There's chili, but Jester is probably better at that than me. I just made stuffed red peppers, and they make the house smell fantastic. They freeze well. I used jack cheese, sauteed onions, garlic, cumin, tomato sauce, bouillon, and red lentils. I normally also use cooked rice or quinoa, but I was out. They work well in a greased crock on high for 4 hours. I've had luck with enchiladas (layers or rolls, either way). You just have to add a bit of water. Those will cook on high in 2 hours or on low in 4. They freeze well, too. You can use pretty much any enchilada recipe that calls for corn tortillas. As for the peppers, the origional recipe from Veg Times is excellent, and you could add chicken. It's listed as Quinoa Stuffed Peppers if you google it.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You can crock a lot of soups. Split pea and ham is easy--just put the split peas in, add water according to the directions on the package, cubed ham, sliced carrots if you like, and your preferred spices for split pea. You can add minced or teardrop onions too. If you like a thicker soup, just add less water. Crock all day on low heat. Freezes well, and easy to heat up. Stew is another easy one--get a spice packet for stew from the store, follow the instructions, add stew meat, sliced carrot, onion and potato, and crock all day on low heat. Another idea is braised red cabbage and kielbasa or German sausage, or stewed cabbage and the same.

Comment

Oh, just remembered another good crockpot meal--You can make New England Boiled Dinner.

6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
                      6 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch lengths
                      1 large onion, quartered
                      3 garlic cloves, minced
                      3 -3 1/2 lbs corned beef brisket
                      2 teaspoons dried dill seed
                      1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
                      2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
                      1 small cabbage, cut into 8 wedges

Directions:

In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic.
                      Trim the fat from the brisket and if necessary, trim the brisket to fit into the slow cooker. (Do not use the seasoning package if one comes if the brisket). Place the brisket on top of the vegetables; sprinkle with dill seed, rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour the broth over the brisket.
                      Cover and cook on low setting for 11 to 12 hours or on high for 51/2 to 6 hours.
                      If using low setting, turn cooker to high and add the cabbage wedges; cover and cook for 30 to 60 minutes more or until the cabbage is tender.
                      Transfer meat to a cutting board and thinly slice the meat across the grain. Place meat slices on a serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the serving platter and serve.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        BBQ Pulled Pork Get a pork roast, shoulder works well. Put it in your crockpot. Add a can of A&W root beer. Cook til it's falling apart. Remove the meat, shred it, and mix in your preferred bbq sauce. Portion and freeze for sandwiches.
                        That sounds really good, and I don't even eat meat. If you do happen to want to try a dessert, I make rice pudding in the crock. It's very creamy, and fairly low-fat. My recipe is at home and I'm not, but I'll post later if anyone wants. It's milk, sugar, and arborio rice; I just can't remember proportions or time.
                        Last edited by Food Lady; 06-01-2012, 12:05 AM.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Mr. Dead Chicken. (such a great name huh)

Spicy ass chicken

Whole ckn
                          2 T garlic
                          1/2 large onion
                          3or 4 stalks celery
                          1/2 of green pepper
                          1 can/ jar of chipotle peppers with Adobo sauce
                          1 dusting of chili pepper
                          1t rubbed sage

Rinse ckn.
                          Rub outside of ckn with black pepper, sage and some of the chili pepper. Put ckn in crockpot.

Stuff cavity w/ 2T of minced garlic from jar. Cut onion into quarters. Put wedge of onion in cavity. Put rest of onion pieces in the crockpot. Slice the celery, toss in. Cut green peppers into strips and toss in. Open can of peppers and toss in. Fill can with water and add to pot. Make sure to get all spice mix from the can. Add a good dusting of chili pepper and a half can of water. Cook on high for 4 hrs, til 165*
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

My Wife's "Mexican" Chicken
                            1 whole Chicken
                            1 can cream of chicken
                            1 can cream of mushroom
                            1 can diced green chilies (or rotel depending on how you like it)
                            2 bay leaves
                            Salt
                            Pepper
                            1 pound shredded mexican blend or colby jack (marble jack) cheese
                            Large bag tortilla chips

Put the chicken in the slow cooker, cover with water. Add bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on high 2-3 hours until the chicken bones come out with little force. This could also be done in a stock pot slightly quicker. Debone and shread the chicken.

Mix the cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and rotel in a medium sauce pot and heat through stirring to keep it from boiling or burning.

Bludgeon the chips. try not to break the bag, but you really want small (a couple per bite) pieces. In a 13x9 baking pan place a thin layer of chips (thin enough to cover with no gaps). Place a thin layer of chicken spread evenly over the layer of chips. Repeat until you are out of chips and chicken. Gently pour the soup mixture over the top of the layered chicken and chips. Cover with the cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cheese should be melted but not changing color.

My recipe for the same has some slight deviations.
                            when Stocking the chicken add 3-4 garlic cloves (2 teaspoons minced garlic works), 2 teaspoons onion powder or minced onion.
                            Double the soup, rotel, (i do one mild and one chunky as i am not fond of heartburn from spicy things) and cheese.
                            Layer chips and chicken as before, but add a couple of ladles of the soup mixture after the chicken and add some cheese before the next layer of chips. Finish with one pound of cheese.
                            We usually have fresh veggies and Hummus as a side.
                            Feel free to add or subtract as needed/desired.
                            Keep the juice from the chicken after straining (in case of bones) for Awesome home made chicken stock.
                            To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I make much use of this site:
                              http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X