This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something's afoot

I don't or really can't share much but there's big shakeups going on in my store and I think it's only the beginning. There's probably a very good chance there's a target on my back. On one hand I'm worried because I need this job but on the other hand I've been there a long time and I'm pretty much stuck in my same position. I know that whatever happens I'll be okay. I will just take it as a chance to do better for myself but it's going to be rough going in wondering if today is the day.

I'm not really looking for anything. Maybe job hunting advice when the time comes. At this time of night this is the only place open so to speak.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

And we operate 24/7! I hope you are wrong about having a target on your back, but kudos to you for facing the possibility and starting to think about what you will do if the worst happens.

Comment

Ditto what Pix said. Hopefully it turns out for the best. Will this be ongoing, or a shakeout and then over? (In other words, are you going to have this hanging over you for a while?)

Comment

That's the thing. I don't know. I guess the kind of funny part is I was just getting ready to amp up the job search because it's time for me to get out of there mostly for my own reasons. Hopefully I'll decide when it's time for me to go before they do.

Comment

Start the job hunting now. It's less stressful when you have a job currently. Trust me. I've been out of work for months, and it's hard....

Comment

Definitely plan on doing just that. I was looking online for jobs just to get some idea what's out there and it doesn't seem as if you need a degree for a receptionist job anymore. I'm in a pretty populated area there's plenty of businesses not just depends on who's hiring for what.

Comment

So Had a conversation with a manger from another store and she confirmed pretty much what I already figured. They're starting to cut hours in her store and it seems like bare bone staffing is the way it's going. The moral around the store is just about the worst I've even seen.

I haven't even had to look for a job in 10 years and this one was pretty easy to get, maybe I'll put something up in the advice section because I'd even know how to begin.

Comment

Start simple - Update your resume(s). Contact people (non-relatives) who might be willing to act as references for you -- including that manager or others there if you're 100% sure they won't tip your hand to the higher ups about your potential "intention to quit"
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And definitely don't put it off, even if you think you may stick it out where you are. Businesses have a marked preference toward hiring those who are already employed over those who aren't, so "shopping" now is a big advantage.

Comment

Working...
                  X