Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure how I can get to THAT training session...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how I can get to THAT training session...

So because I can be working in several different sites at once, I don't specifically have a "home" boss that does all the training, nor is the place where I receive any company training the place that I work at.

Today I get not one, not two, but THREE emails to my inbox relating to upcoming training sessions. They aren't mandatory and to be honest, I learnt more from my "home site" than I did from the company provided training.

Despite this however, the emails contain one vital flaw.

The training is interstate. I am also working that day.

There is no way I can go from the town in question bcak to my home school in time but I'm just wondering why they sent me the email in the first place. Especially given that everything else shows up as being from my hometown. :P
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

What, is your transporter beam malfunctioning?

Comment

Important note regarding scale here.

The capital city in Fireheart's state is over 700 km/450 miles (driving distance, not as the crow flies) to the capital city in my state. And this is the closest one.

There aren't any major cities which are likely to be the 'interstate training' site that are significantly closer to Fireheart's capital city; and which are in my state. Of the other neighbouring states - just getting to the border is going to be at least as far, if not further. With the exception of NSW, perhaps - but the part of that state bordering hers is very much 'outback'. Very desert.

We're thinking a lot more "Texas" and a lot less "Rhode Island".
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Important note regarding scale here.

The capital city in Fireheart's state is over 700 km/450 miles (driving distance, not as the crow flies) to the capital city in my state. And this is the closest one.

There aren't any major cities which are likely to be the 'interstate training' site that are significantly closer to Fireheart's capital city; and which are in my state. Of the other neighbouring states - just getting to the border is going to be at least as far, if not further. With the exception of NSW, perhaps - but the part of that state bordering hers is very much 'outback'. Very desert.

We're thinking a lot more "Texas" and a lot less "Rhode Island".
        Well oddly enough, the training site is actually west of my city :P and walking, it takes around 4 months (friend of mine is doing a walk around Australia for cancer)

Comment

WEST of you? What the godforsakenhell is WEST of you before you get to Perth*, other than a few mining towns and truck stops?

* and places close enough to Perth that - on this scale - we may as well call them Perth.

Edit to add: 'west of her and across the border'. There's some places close to her and west.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Kidding, the training session WAS in Perth. Why on earth they chose there I have no idea (company is national).

It's non-compulsory thank god. The first half is a refresher, the second half is more about networking and forwarding your career.

Comment

Perth? Yeah, they're not wanting to have many attendees, are they...?!
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                Perth? Yeah, they're not wanting to have many attendees, are they...?!
                The company is nation-wide, so they'll have plenty of attendees in WA, just not the other states.....

Comment

Yep, that's typical corporate thinking here in Oz.

When I was working for BP as a station manager, they tried to schedule a national training day in Brisbane. For one day.

They wanted everyone to fly in on red-eyes overnight, go straight to the training, spend the day there until 6pm, and then fly the red-eye back that night. And we had to work the next day. If we called out, we'd be taking an 'unauthorised absence' and penalised.

Our state manager told them they were deranged.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                    Yep, that's typical corporate thinking here in Oz.

When I was working for BP as a station manager, they tried to schedule a national training day in Brisbane. For one day.

They wanted everyone to fly in on red-eyes overnight, go straight to the training, spend the day there until 6pm, and then fly the red-eye back that night. And we had to work the next day. If we called out, we'd be taking an 'unauthorised absence' and penalised.

Our state manager told them they were deranged.
                    Luckily this one is non-compulsory. MOST of the time, the emails they send out to staff are organised by state (for instance, the SA emails get sent to the SA staff, the WA emails get sent to the WA staff and so on). For some reason though, we all ended up getting the one not meant for us.

The company is also primarily a family-run business. Unlike my previous experience though, the head honchos for our area WILL actually make visits every so often, but it's always positive. I had a moment when I accidentally assumed that the regional manager was another coworker...unlike the previous company, nearly everyone dresses the same (that is polo shirt and/or jacket on the top half with black pants/shorts on the bottom half and sneakers. Those working in head office can choose to wear a button-down shirt if they wish)

In fact, the manager for one of the sites I work at more or less recommended my skills to the regional bossman...which may mean more work in the future

Roughly the chain of command goes something like this to me:

Relief staff -> me -> other permanent staff -> bossman/bossman's right hand woman -> regional bossman -> regional bosslady.

Comment

I just googled a map of Perth, and the rest of "down under land".

Are they out of their minds! There's NOTHING anywhere east close to Perth!
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        Are they out of their minds! ...
                        BP? ... But we do it all the time at the home office. Everyone just pops in for a spot of tea. No problem here.
                        Last edited by dalesys; 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X