This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might possibly have found the coolest first job evev

*Ever (Typing too fast from excitement I suppose)

So since graduating high school, I've been looking for a proper job. The few stories I've told thus far are from my gig as a Student Office Aide (Which I do need to type up the last few stories I have from that).

I've been applying to random places; grocery stores, party stores, craft stores, etc. No responses.

It wasn't until some friends of ours from Michigan were visiting for the week and we decided to check out an aquarium that opened up in the nearest mall... And it was pretty nice for a mall aquarium, I was impressed! Not the best aquarium I've ever been to by a long shot (I've been to the South Carolina aquarium in Charleston and the Georgia aquarium which is the largest in the the world, it had three freaking whale sharks in one tank!!!!) but for the mall, it wasn't bad.

Well, when I asked the lady in the gift shop about job openings, apparently half of their staff is moving away to college and they're having a massive hiring. If I can brandish what little I can consider work experience and my excellent grades in science (Biology in particular) I might have a shot. And the fact that I am a seasoned kiss-up might help as well.

So, I applied for several of their openings and talked with the manager of not only the aquarium, but of the LEGO store next door to it! (I did notice they were owned by the same company...) I applied for 5 different positions; 4 at the aquarium, and 1 at said LEGO store. I kinda took her by surprise. But we got the negotiations worked out and they're going to go ahead and put my application through the reviewing process!

Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Eevie; 07-22-2013, 06:13 AM.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Fingers, toes, and whatever else I can bend enough. Sounds like it would be great. Hell, I'm fifty-sumpin', and that Lego store sounds pretty good!

Comment

Oooh! That sounds like fun! Hell, the Lego store sounds like fun, too. Hoping for the best!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Since they're owned by the same company, I'd get an employee discount at the LEGO store as well. We'll see how things go.

Comment

UPDATE: They called me back today and told me my application was reviewed! I have an interveiw sceduled for Wednesday!
          Last edited by Eevie; 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Yay! Good luck!
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Ahhh! I lurves whale sharks!

Now I have something to add to my bucket list.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

They have the Coca-Cola museum literally right across the street, and THAT is definitely worth a visit as well. At the end of the museum, they have free samples of different Coca-Cola drinks from all over the world. Although you do eventually want to go back to your own country's drinks just to get something familiar after a little while.

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                  They have the Coca-Cola museum literally right across the street, and THAT is definitely worth a visit as well. At the end of the museum, they have free samples of different Coca-Cola drinks from all over the world. Although you do eventually want to go back to your own country's drinks just to get something familiar after a little while.
                  *sighs for vanilla Coke* Ah, well, I don't drink pop/soda/whatever you wanna call it anymore, but hey...I can dream....
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    *sighs for vanilla Coke* Ah, well, I don't drink pop/soda/whatever you wanna call it anymore, but hey...I can dream....
                    We still have it in the shops over here.

Although they had Vanilla Coke Zero for a while, then they got rid of it

We've also started getting some of the more "exotic" Fanta flavours...including Grape. OM NOM NOM.

Seriously though OP, hope you get the job.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

That sounds like a very enjoyable job, and I do hope you get it.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm fairly certain that the BK in my area has Vanilla with one of those fantabulous multipurpose dispensers. You can choose and match between pretty much any of the syrup bases that Coke offers.
                        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                        And it's not what I wanted to be
                        The weight on me
                        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

The whale sharks at Atlanta Aquarium are amazing, I've seen them twice. I just sat in front of the glass and watched until the rest of my party dragged me away.

Also the piece of glass/plastic? used for the viewing area is the second biggest single piece in the world
                          Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                            The whale sharks at Atlanta Aquarium are amazing, I've seen them twice. I just sat in front of the glass and watched until the rest of my party dragged me away.

Also the piece of glass/plastic? used for the viewing area is the second biggest single piece in the world
                            I know! I could've spent an easy hour at the Ocean exhibit! Made the entire trip alone worth it.

Also the glass/plastic is called acrylic. It's easy to manage (and I believe it's cheaper than glass) and it's clearer than plastic or glass.

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                              Also the glass/plastic is called acrylic. It's easy to manage (and I believe it's cheaper than glass) and it's clearer than plastic or glass.
                              My brain just wouldn't tell me what it was at the time
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Working...
                              X