This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car repossession question

General inquiry, for anyone who might have any experience with this. Got a message from a close relative who's car was repoed this week. Good news is she can get it back, but needs to provide "references" as part of the process, and asked if I would be one.

No other details were provided, and while we are close, and I'm sure it was very difficult for her to ask this of me, if it entails me giving any of MY financial info, its simply not happening. But if its something like simple, like a job reference, I'm ok. I have no expereince with this, nor have ever heard of someone having to provide any kind of reference for this.

Any input/advice is appreciated!

Reference sometimes = consign. Ask for more detas but I could just mean if your relative stops paying they ask you where she is.

Stupid iPhone. My ex was a reference for a friend and his friend stopped paying on the car and my ex received hundreds of calls regarding the were about a of the friend when he went missing. Sadly he was really missing.
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM. Reason: Bad iphone! bad!

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
      Reference sometimes = consign. Ask for more detas but I could just mean if your relative stops paying they ask you where she is.
      Ugh. I was afraid of that. There's no way I would ever consider cosigning. For anyone. Not even my mother, and she has stellar credit.

As far as them having my info as a reference and calling me if she doens't pay, that too, I don't believe will happen. She lives 3,000 miles from me, so I am not familar at all with her comings and goings.

Comment

Makes me wonder who was CLOSER to this person who already turned them down. And yes, even if you are absolved from any financial responsibility, it sounds like they will expect you to be able to keep tabs on this person if they skip town. If the repo place calls you anyway, explain that you cannot do this due to distance.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'd ask more questions, this sounds odd. I've managed to have a couple cars repoed over the years (trying to get one repoed right now as it happens), and all i've ever been asked for is to pay what i owe plus repo fees. This on the other hand sounds like a new loan or a re-fi.
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Well, after bouncing it off my mom, i asked her what exactly does this entail, what info do they/might they need, AND who will be getting it. My relative can be a bit naive as well, so if they said hey we need this in order for you to get you car back, she probably just said ok, without finding out what was actually involved.

I also told her i am quite paranoid (which i truly am) about who gets ANY of my personal info, so we shall see. if its involves ANYTHING with giving any of my really personal info, or money, absoultuely not. I'd just hate for her not to be able to get her car back, because I said no

Comment

I've never heard of a co-signer based on a verbal conversation. I've heard of credit references , e.g. utilities, landlords, lenders; this is a new one on me.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Also, references also mean someone that they can use to call if this person goes delinquent again. I spent three soul killing months at a debt collection call center and all the references were also tracked down and called to try and get a message to the debtor.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                  Also, references also mean someone that they can use to call if this person goes delinquent again. I spent three soul killing months at a debt collection call center and all the references were also tracked down and called to try and get a message to the debtor.

Based on input i've gotten, this seems to be what it is. So i asked for more info, but she has yet to respond. i;m kind of hoping she doesnt, that my quest for more info got the message across i'm hesitent, if at all willing, or she needed them asap, and found others.

Comment

I'm wondering if potential references closer to her (assuming she tried any) were equally hesitant, and that perhaps she just never got back to them to address their concerns.

Comment

Working...
                    X