Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure this has been mentioned, nor do I have a recipe..but Onion Rings. Lightly breaded onion rings can be yummy.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Onion Pie!!!

TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE
      2 tablespoons butter
      1 large onion, sliced thin, 5 1/2 ounces
      8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
      3 eggs
      1 cup heavy cream
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon chili powder (regular and chipotle are both good)

Sauté the onion in butter until tender and slightly caramelized. Place the cheese in a greased pie plate; top with onions. Beat eggs, cream and seasonings. Pour over all. Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6-8 servings
      Can be frozen
      Recipe can be doubled/tripled
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I don't like onions except when they're cooked, but a couple of ideas would be Philly cheese steak subs (onions, green pepper, steak, Swiss cheese) and this chicken cacciatore stuff my mom makes. The way she makes it is that she takes a bunch of peppers (red, orange, yellow, and green) and onions and slices them up into strips. Mix those up with some mushrooms, chicken that has been cut into cubes and cooked, can of tomatoes, garlic for seasoning, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer and serve over rice. Delicious.

Comment

French Onion Soup.....and there's no reason why you can't add more onions than the recipe calls for.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Yes, I mean raw onion sandwiches. I admit, it's a bit much, but with a sweet enough onion, they're not overpowering. Toast on good bread, butter (real butter) and a slice of onion.

I've been pretty poor in my life. A farmer across the road from where I used to live gave me permission to glean from his field, so things were very, very fresh. I think that's the trick to eating them straight. So, nothing much in cupboard and a field full of fresh produce just outside, you get creative.

The texture of the crunchy onion, with the creamy butter and savory toast is very nice!

Comment

My mother tried to kill me with mushy onions.

She dried them like fruit leather.

*I* thought the roll was apple leather!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You can also chop or slice them, and freeze them for later use in stuffings, soups, baked and broiled dishes, chilis, etc...
                I usually invest in a good quality freezer bag in a few sizes and portion them out for what I may need. Squeeze all the air out. I try to put the date on the bag, so I can keep track of how long they've been in there. My rule for freezer stuff is use nothing over a year.

Also, caramelized onions=yummy.
                Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Also, baked stuffed onions... fill the same way you would stuffed peppers. It's a bit tricky to cut & core them to keep the layers from "peeling", but very, VERY tasty.
                  Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Fried Taters and Onions
                    6-7 large potates, cleaned and peeled
                    One large kielbasa or smoked sausage (Portuguese sausage works too), or about 1-1 1/2 pounds of meat, hot dogs work too
                    2 large onions (white or yellow work best), sliced thin
                    3/4 bulb of fresh garlic, minced
                    Olive or canola oil
                    Salt
                    Pepper
                    Favorite herbs (I use thyme and dill, other good combo would be rosemary and basil)

In large fry pan or wok, heat oil with garlic, onions and sausage. Add small amount of salt, pepper and herbs. Stir-fry until onions and garlic are golden brown and sausage is cooked. Slice potatoes into medium-thin rounds and add. Add more salt, pepper, and herbs, mix ingredients, then add water until ingredients are barely covered. Use cookie sheet to cover wok and bring to boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are thoroughly done and have absorbed most of the water. Use spoon to mash potatoes and thoroughly mix ingredients, continuing to stir and cook on heat until water is gone and mixture is starting to dry out. Serve.

Also, a lot of soups go great with onions. My clam chowder recipe also calls for a couple of minced onions per pot. Mmm....... Oh, yes, and you can make killer bacon stuffed mushrooms with minced onions, chopped bacon, chopped mushroom stems, and minced garlic, all fried with butter until golden then mixed with cream cheese while still warm. Saute the mushroom caps until the water has cooked out, then stuff and bake at about 350 in a buttered casserole dish for about 30-40 min.

Comment

A nice one from my days working in weddings was Vidalia, brie, and champagne soup. You sweat the onions in a bit of oil until they're very soft, don't caramelize them! Then add a light stock like chicken or veggie stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the brie in and stir occasionally until it's melted and then use an immersion blender to make it smooth. Then, add your champagne and just get it hot before serving. I don't have amounts on this. We always just sort of eyeballed it. Looooove that soup, though! Since the soup is so smooth, it's good with some sort of crunchy, toasty, buttery bread like a broiled sourdough.
                      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                        TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE
                        Drool.....

I may just try this one!

Quoth redsox33413 View Post
                        Also, baked stuffed onions... fill the same way you would stuffed peppers. It's a bit tricky to cut & core them to keep the layers from "peeling", but very, VERY tasty.
                        Since you say it's tricky, do you have any tips or suggestions for just how to do that coring without having the onion come apart? Just curious, as this sounds like a very intriguing idea to me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Lunch today was toast with kippers and sliced vidalia onions on top - absolutely delicious and another way to use up your supply
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            Yes, I mean raw onion sandwiches. I admit, it's a bit much, but with a sweet enough onion, they're not overpowering. Toast on good bread, butter (real butter) and a slice of onion.
                            Even if the onions I'd be using are sweet and completely palatable (to me) raw, I still wouldn't do it. Just because we usually never get sweet onions and my brain is hardwired NOT to eat them as such.
                            Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                            Onion Pie!!!
                            TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE
                            That looks amazing! If I ever do make it though, I'll gonna add more onions! You can never add enough, you know.
                            Quoth redsox33413 View Post
                            That sounds interesting, but like Jester said, it sounds like a juggling act to keep it in one place. Maybe a skewer through the side would fix that...
                            Quoth Barracuda View Post
                            Fried Taters and Onions
                            Sounds like yum! My mother makes something similar for St. Pat's day. But instead of frying the potatoes, she boils everything together and then mashes it in with some cabbage and bacon. Ugly as sin, but delicious!
                            Quoth Cookie View Post
                            A nice one from my days working in weddings was Vidalia, brie, and champagne soup. You sweat the onions in a bit of oil until they're very soft, don't caramelize them! Then add a light stock like chicken or veggie stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the brie in and stir occasionally until it's melted and then use an immersion blender to make it smooth. Then, add your champagne and just get it hot before serving. I don't have amounts on this. We always just sort of eyeballed it. Looooove that soup, though! Since the soup is so smooth, it's good with some sort of crunchy, toasty, buttery bread like a broiled sourdough.
                            I would totally do this, but knowing my mother, most of the Champagne would go into her mouth. Sounds like a good, creamy soup to dig into.
                            My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

fried onions + potatoes + butter = :drool:
                              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

My mother makes tomato and onion salad every summer.

Sliced tomatoes on a plate, coarsely chopped onions on top, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, season with black pepper to taste.
                                The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Working...
                                X