Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD burner - do you think it is going?

I make a lot of DVDs (mostly dog training videos etc..). Usually between 5 and 10 a week.

My DVD-ROM drive is probabaly 2 years old now and it seems that when I burn a video, about 60-90 minutes into the video it becomes very choppy / jumpy (pauses for 3-5 seconds every few seconds.

These are all from copying videos I already have (4GB per video on my HDD is a lot) and I haven't tried from an ISO yet.

Do you think my drive is going?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

What are you playing them on? The same computer that made them? Also, are they all from the same spindle? It's possible it's a bad batch of DVDs if so. If you're playing them on a different machine, and they still skip, do regular DVDs play alright? Have you tried one of those cleaning kits?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Right now from the same spindle, hopefully they'll go on sale soon so I can get another 100 pack, maybe that is it. I just had one fail the write (ugh, lost DVD). Edit: Make that two failed burns.

They are being played on people's DVD players (to watch at home). Regular DVDs play fine on my player and I'm assuming the same for other people's players.

I may also get a cleaner (I have one for CDs, I don't know if it is the same for DVDs).

Edit: I had a bad run with Sony discs (had a 5%-10% fail rate) so I went over to Memorex who was usually good.
      Last edited by draggar; 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I use a DVD-RW for test burns (at 2x / 4x speed), then if they run fine, copy them to a permanent one. You can get a 3 pack of RW's for about $5 now

And as above try a slower burn speed. It's helped for me in the past
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

If you are going for production level/resell/longevity purposes you want to burn at a lower speed. You don't persay need to drop it all the way down to 2X, but you don't want to be burning at 16X if you want a copy that would be worth selling or archiving.

Also are you using +R or -R (hint I use only -R unless it is a special request from a client in my shop). The best brand of DVDR's are going to be Taiyo Yudon, but I personally normally stick with Ridata/Ritec, I have used Sony, Memorex, and Fuji as well with no to minimal problems. Brands I won't use include Cheap Ass no name brands that I don't recognize (And I tend to use a wide number of brands and have been duplication for over 6-7 years (almost 10 if you include the years we only did CD's).

A few things to consider are the brand of drive. For example if its a Pioneer 107/109/111 series then I would be surprised if its the drive (those things are built like tanks. One of my duplicators is using 107s and I've probably burned around 50,000 discs on it over the last 7 years since we've had it. My other duplicator has eleven 111 drives and I've probably ran around 100,000 discs thru it in the last 3 years that I've had it.

If you have a cheaper memorex drive or discount brand drive then I would tend to agree.

It sounds to me as if you are getting a large number of errors and coming up on read errors late in the burn. I couldn't tell though if this issue comes up on all DVD players that you try it on, or if it is only on the one player you test them on.

Does it do it with all copies (are you running different masters or is this all using the same master) could be a issue with the master.

And finally, if you are burning the same master over and over again, you do need a ISO of it. It gives you a better and cleaner burn.
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I have never had a coaster from my TDK CD burner or my NEC DVD burner, and that's using cheapie discs (GQ) at maximum speed.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

The burner is an HP dvd840i (I've had extremely good luck with their CD-RWs in the past, having had several with several different machines, my original 7200i still works). The system hasn't given me an issue before, except with my previous DVD+/-RW was defective (from the day I bought it but that was a different story) - Athlon 3200+ processor (~2GHz), 2GB Ram, XP SP2, etc..).

I'm testing the batch now, it is possible that I had a bad batch (which would suck, throwing out a 100 pack of DVD+Rs) burning at full speed. Maybe a slower speed would be worth it, heck, I can wait 20-30 minutes as opposed to 10 for a burn and the clients won't mind. I've never heard of the other brands that digilight mentioned, though (Taiyo Yudon and Ridata/Ritec).

I tend to stick with Memorex discs, I used to go with Sony also but they started to have a fail rate between 5% and 10% though several different 100 packs.

As for DVD-R, I've heard that there are some compatibility issues with some DVD players, is this true or only true with much older equipment (I think most of my clients have fairly new drivers anyway).
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

The compatability issues with DVD-R versus DVD+R is going to be with older equipment. Most older equipment would be able to handle -R and not +R (although this isn't a tried and true fact either). Mind you I have never had an issue with -R on any client job I've run. And thats using 10's of thousands of discs being distributed all around the world.

The different brands I mentioned I tend to get at places online such as "Supermediastore.com" or "Meritline.com". You can also checkout "CDfreaks.com" its an online forum specificaly for CD and DVD related stuff, you can also find some great prices on media and equipment as well in their forum (people post sites that are having good sales and how good the site is as well).

The other option would be to try and upgrade your burners firmware and see if that helps as well.

Oh yeah, that 5-10% failure ratio is huge. I find it odd if I get 1 bad burn every 200-400 discs (thats a high number for me). And to be honest I can usually burn runs of a thousand discs without a coaster.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

That's why I stopped using Sony discs - in a 100 pack I would have between 5-10 fail and I went though a few 100 packs before I realized it was more than a bad batch.

I'll check them out but I've had back luck with ordering them online and having them shipped to me, I've had a few come with the 100 pack open and discs all over (luckily Staples ships me a replacement quickly).

I'll check out those vendors, thanx for pointing me to them.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I got a firmware update from HP which I thought would help - it didn't.

Burned at maximum speed - it skipped like crazy at about an hour (and it didn't do this before last week). I slowed it down to 6X and it skipped occasionally.

I really didn't want to have to go out and get a new burner.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I tried another last night, burned it at 2X and it still had some skips. I guess it is time for a new drive.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                      X