Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a good gaming laptop.

I moved so I don't have my beast of a computer anymore

I also don't have room to build an actual desktop like I would like.... soooo
    (I don't even HAVE a room, let alone of a desk)

I'm looking for a laptop, that's built for gaming
    (Good Processor, lots of RAM (2GB), good GFX card).

Also need to find an external harddrive case that will allow me to plug an SATA Harddrive in rather than just a normal IDE Drive. (I have my old harddrives, and I want to get the important stuff off, and then use them as extra storage, but I need to be able to plug them into the laptop obviously LOL )

Anyone have any good suggestions? I feel silly, cause I can build a desktop with my eyes close... but I know almost NOTHING when it comes to laptops.

I do have a couple restrictions though:

No Dells or Gateways
    No Intel Processors if at all possible.

Price wise... Not too concerned about it, I don't want to spending an overly-crazy amount, but obviously I'm gonna have to shell out a few bucks for the gaming capabilities.
    <Insert clever signature here>

You're gonna be spending a couple thousand dollars, and it still won't be as good as a desktop. But if you're dead set on it, then look at Alienware.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

yeah that's the one place I did look, and the laptop is coming out to around $5000

Unfortunately, i HAVE to go the laptop route... I just don't have anywhere to PUT a desktop =\

When I say I don't have a room or a desk, i mean it. I'm staying with friends for awhile, and don't have the space for it lol.

Comment

Just as the space doesn't exist, a cheap good gaming laptop doesn't exist. You're going to have to pay at least $2k to get a machine that can half-way adequitely play today's games, and you're going to be playing on ultra-low in about a year. I could deliever a rant about this, but it's not really the place.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I did the same thing about 5 years ago. I found the eMachines M6805, a laptop that had specs that cost twice as much in other laptops.

I was hesitant - eMachines had a bad reputation in the shop, especially the T series desktop (power supply going bad and taking out the motherboard was commonly seen).

So, I did some research. Turns out that the M series was based on a whitebook by a company called Arima. I bought it and only have had one problem with it, and it was fixed free even though the machine was out of warranty. I still use it regularly, almost 5 years later, even though the gaming part has passed it by.

As far as laptops that fit that description now, there's one, but it violates both of your restrictions - the Gateway P-7811FX. For what they've put in it, though, there's nothing that even comes close at their price point.

Other than that, and you're looking at the performance PC manufacturers (Falcon Northwest, Alienware, Voodoo, etc.), and spending around $5000.

Comment

As a general rule (with exceptions that show up often enough) you're paying about twice the cost of equivilant parts on a laptop as you are on a desktop. When you go the "gaming" or "high performance" route, that general rule explodes into it's own beast of logic and rules... where few dare to tread. One of the main reasons is that the parts that are good at making games (the ones with the wizz-bang graphics on the store shelves anyway) work, tend to produce a lot of heat and use more than average electricity. On a desktop that can require planning and foresight to control. However, on a laptop... it requires the entire system, including plastic shell (which are already crammed pretty tight) to be planned and manufactured simply so that it can handle both the energy draw, allocation and heat generated. What that adds up to is more expensive parts since it requires a lot more effort from the manufacture to produce these in manners where they don't combust into flame on someone's lap.

You mention that the reason you don't want a desktop is space, and I can understand that... however keep in mind that desktop computer cases come in a variety of shapes and sizes... and some of them are great for shoving under a desk or beside a TV or somewhere else out of the way. If you add wireless connections or simply long enough cables (and cables too can be tucked out of the way in many neat places)... then you don't even need the computer box itself to be near the screen, keyboard, mouse or speakers; and all of those things come in a variety of sizes too.

But yeah, in general Alienware bills itself as a "gaming hardware company" and you pay a premium for that brand and service. Look around at other choices like newegg.com and any local computer shops. You can always write down your needs as described in the original post and forward it to salesman or manufacturers asking for a quote.
            Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Almost forgot - there is another option, if you've got experience building PC's.

You could buy a 'whitebook' - essentially, a notebook shell with mainboard, LCD, battery, keyboard, and power adapter ready to go. Then just add processor, hard drive, optical drive, memory, and OS. I think even some whitebooks have replaceable graphics as an option.

Advantage: You put in whatever hardware and OS you want that the shell will support. Disadvantage: While you have hardware warranties, you are the tech support for the system, and you don't save that much money over an equivalent laptop from a manufacturer.

I've put together a few at the shop, it's really not that bad. Just depends on your level of experience.

Comment

I've heard some good stuff about Sager, same components as Alienware but much cheaper (and a bit uglier).

As an alternative have you thought about a small form factor PC? It'd have to be watercooled for serious gaming work but it'd probably still end up cheaper and better than a laptop.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Sager are very nice laptops. Loved mine just didn't like that it weighed 10lbs

Look at the Dell Outlet. I just a kick ass laptop with a Blu Ray drive for 954 out the door.
                  Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

what about a minitower with a screen that can go ontop? my desktop has a minitower because I hate the big ones, theytake up way too much room and look ugly!
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Shuttles are slightly pricy, but I've used one for years and wouldn't want a big tower again. I do too much transporting of the machine for that.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                        Sager are very nice laptops. Loved mine just didn't like that it weighed 10lbs
                        If it's for gaming then you don't call them laptops any more, they're desktop replacements. I think that it's not going to be moved so weight shouldn't be an issue. Cooling will though, grab one of the cooling mats with fans that plugs into the USB port, they're a godsend when you're playing
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at Sager.

I really would rather build a desktop, ut when I say I have no room... I mean none... at all. Anywhere.

Sure I could tuck a tower away somewhere, but I'd have nowhere to setup a monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse. I would literally have to disassemble and reassemble the thing every time I wanted to use it.

With a laptop, I can just fold it up, throw everything into a backpack and tuck it away in the corner

Comment

Working...
                          X