This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with you and "free"??

Finally gave up today when I got up and saw another mumblety-mumble inches of snow out there ... dug around to find a flyer offering snow clearing services and gave the guy a call. His sister answered and said she'd pass along the address.

Ten minutes later, I bundle up and go out to start digging out the short stretch of the driveway (we're on a corner lot, with an 'L'-shaped driveway that opens onto both roads, and the short segment leads from the road to the garage) and there's this young guy running his snowblower up and down that segment. Turns out he's the guy I called.

Also turns out he happens to be the next-door neighbour's grandson. Apparently he used to come over here and clear the driveway back when Mom was still at home.

Now, I don't know what or if Mom paid him -- next-door neighbour was her good friend for many, many years and helped her out a lot when she began failing. But I am not an elderly woman in poor health (yet, LOL) so I paid him $20 and considered it a bargain at the cost.

Later I'm telling a cyberfriend about the whole incident and one of her comments was that, either because he does his grandma's driveway anyway or because grandma and Mom were best friends ... or for some damn reason which I can't now remember ... I should see if I can't get him to clear my driveway for free.

This is the same person who grumbled one time because her neighbour, who made extremely good sausage, wouldn't give her any ... for free. They were not particularly good friends, nor had she ever done him any favours (you know, take in the mail when they're away, walk the dog (if they had one), that sort of thing).

This person has a very well-paying job. We're talking $200-a-pair shoes type of job.

So it annoys the fuck out of me when she gets on this 'free stuff' kick. She'd be seriously ticked if somebody suggested she should start doing parts of her job for free; why does she think other people should do things or give things away for free??

It's often the people with plenty of money who act that way. This is not meant as a rant against the 1% or anything, I'm just saying that some people seem to have very sticky fingers with their own money.

I've worked with people like that. Still have on CW who has that same attiude. Trust fund and investments, no expenses except her own car (lives with mom, house is paid for), but won't spend a dime if she can find a way to get a thing for free.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
    X