This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is what it's come to..

Tomorrow, I go hat in hand..and beg for help. Our savings are gone completely, my medicine costs a small fortune, and there is nothing left to trim. Guess we could do without electricity..even my cable/telephone/internet is being paid by somebody else right now.

Sadly, even when I go beg for help..I don't actually expect to get any. I don't 'look' sick. So I take 13 pills a day, have to have help getting up, and sometimes can't see cause of the pain. I look fine, must be fine..right?

So..that's about it. We can't afford the next refills..at all..there is NOTHING left. I..just..I don't know what to do.

I hate the thought of begging the state for some help..any help. Because they could give a flying fig. I won't get it. So..the next time my medicine needs refills..just won't be able to get it. At all. Even with the free reduced cost cards that we have (some claim up to an 85% savings..and they do save us a bunch).

Hard to see the light, if there is any, at the end of this tunnel. I'm dragging my family down with me, and I don't see any way out.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

I am sorry. But you might be surprised.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Sweety - with that little $ in your pocket you may be able to get immediate assistance. You need to bring in your bank statements, your lease if you can, monthly bills (you can prove the light/phone/water stuff).

You go in, start filling out the paperwork. So, when it asks what your assets are, you state what you have (less than 1K, right) and check the emergency food box.

You also find a list @ the office for assistance NOT from the state. Local charities, churches, assistance for low income people.

AND you had better do this: http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.taf
      If you have no $ for the next batch of pills, start hitting up the local charities to get those drugs. You'll need to stock up your drug supplies for now.

Alongside of that, it might take about 6 weeks + to get your app for the state authorized. BUT if you qualify for the emergency assistance you'd be fast tracked. FYI if you have a car, use kbb.com to get it's fair market value. If it's over 3K worth, you state that the car is used for medical transportation. (follow me on this one ok). Because if it's worth 3K, you have a 3K asset. You'd need to liquidate (in their eyes) more.

You would also count as a very disabled person, for the state at this moment. Get fast tracked, request it. Don't stop.
      I hope you've already started the application for SSI/SSDI also? Start up with the state, and while that's cooking, start the SSI online stuff. You need both to be processing, they take forever to do.

Call your power company and check out assistance programs for low income, disabled, elderly. Same with water /garbage etc. Internet...dunno. Phone, you might be ok with www.assurancewireless.com 250 free min per month, free to you in general. $20 to get 1000 min and 1000 texts (you add it if you want).

Go find the local food banks. Look em up on line, you need to go. Usually food is dry goods like spaghetti, peanut butter, not many perishables. Sometimes meat. Find out where the factory outlet stores are for bread.
      OK:
      Go file for assistance
      Request fast track/emergency assistance
      Take your proof of income etc with you. bank statements, rent/housing, bills, assets.
      Ask if you can get food stamps immediately while the medicaid/other is being worked on.
      Ask if anyone has a list of local charities to get $ for your meds.
      Ask if anyone has a list of charities to get $ for your utilities.
      Ask if anyone has a list of food banks/locations. http://feedingamerica.org/foodbank-r....aspx?state=OH
      Ask your doc if they have samples to tide you over (or can find some for you!)
      Keep us updated. And do NOT wait. Start the state work, but same day start calling the charities, because you need your meds REALLY REALLY BAD.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

My personal assets are nil, zero, zip, zilch. Own nothing in my name, no money in the bank, nothing. I filed for assistance a long time ago, got denied, appealed..and have heard nothing. Already working on Disability also. As for everything else, thank you I will look into it.

We already get foodstamps. It is currently down to 68 dollars/month for us three.
        Last edited by Mytical; 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Soooo ridiculous. You are so far under the line. Yeah, everything Der Cute said.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have no advice, not even a cutesy saying to attempt to cheer you up. Just an imaginary hug, plus a prayer that something good will come along.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Go back, tomorrow, demand help , calmly. Ask your doc if the SSI/SSDI can somehow be sped up, since you're really busted up. Oh, are kidneys part of your problem? Kidney and blindness are always auth for SSI?SSDI

Comment

HE might be poor, but if the household's income is above X, there will be a change in the allocations.
                Have all that paperwork ready to rock. Have your Dr's info /contact stuff with you, you'll need a release of information thing. Stand up for yourself; although there are others as sick as you, who says they're going to be as assertive?
                Another thought: subsidized housing. Check into that. You will be on the phone next few days. And since I know you get fuzzy headed and stupid-tired (I do too) use that checklist and take notes as you go.
                You need Medicaid care, you should qualify for disabled/super needy. But make sure you've got your meds as much as you can. Some pharmacies also have discount/pay plans.
                You might be able to hook up the charity/money to pharm to get your drugs.
                What's the most important? Drugs, housing, food. I dunno if you'd be functional at all if you didn't take your meds.
                St. Vincent de Paul might be in your area, they're known for help. Also, church related food banks might be able to get you some $. Ask THEM for the dry goods, TP and soap and other stuff. Shampoo/body wash.
                If you can get to them, find the homeless food/soup kitchens. A guy I know saves money that way; he isn't that far from homelessness.

Push for meds
                Pharm discount programs?
                Push for assistance?
                Charities
                St. Vincent de Paul
                Church foodbanks USE COUPONS ON RETAIL STORES
                Church for plain money
                Foodbanks for dry goods; TP, soap, diapers :P
                Soup kitchens for dinner/food to eat
                Check into subsidized housing

DO keep in mind that all of these are red tape flavored. You would have to keep that list of apps up to date and follow up on them.

Check out www.pineconeresearch.com They pay $3 per survey, you get surveys once or twice a month, I get a few. It's paid via Pay Pal, and I use that for small things.

Comment

Are you still on Neurontin. If so there is a program through the drug company where you can get it for free. Look up each of your drugs and see what programs are out there for free durgs from the company

Comment

No advice because I am in a different country, so any advice would be useless. Just lots of and hope.

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                      Are you still on Neurontin. If so there is a program through the drug company where you can get it for free. Look up each of your drugs and see what programs are out there for free durgs from the company
                      and make sure you go directly to the manufacturer - DO NOT use some "advocacy program" - they charge for their services and the drug companies WILL work with you direct.
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

No advice, sadly, but lots of hugs, good thoughts, and a request that you try to hang in there.

Been in very similar circumstances our selves, hubby finally got a job before the savings totally ran out, but due to several things I won't go into, though he wants to look at it as getting on our feet, at the moment, in reality it's a matter of sinking at a much slower rate. Still hoping for things to get to a treading-water position before we go under.
                        With all the programs out there to help (both official & unofficial) and safetynets, and everything else, it's still awfully easy for people to fall thru the cracks. We've had it happen, and it's happened to a few of my relatives. But don't give up hope, keep trying to find help, you never know, it just might come out of the blue from an unexpected source. And sometimes even the smallest of things can be the catylist to start an upward, rather than downward, spiral. I'm still holding out for that myself.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

If you do not have a data limit, sign up for amazon mechanical turk. It is a pittance, but pennies mount up. I do the little jobs pretty much any time I have a few minutes to putter on the computer. I use it to subsidize my reading addiction but you can draw it out in money as well as using it for amazon purchases.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                            and make sure you go directly to the manufacturer - DO NOT use some "advocacy program" - they charge for their services and the drug companies WILL work with you direct.
                            I've used this before in my life. The reason why I didn't say do this first, is because it takes a doctor visit PLUS processing time on mfg's end. Up to 60 days total.
                            That's why I said hunt for $ and samples to tide you over, but start this too. It may be a moot point, because if he's authorized Medicaid and assistance, Medicaid should be covering these meds right off.

Still is something to keep in mind.
                            Mytical- I had a similar situation last year. Housing, money, visitation, med costs, coverage. I had a list of alllll the shit hitting the fan and what to do. I was in shock, to be honest for a week. Then I started doing the work, and did good with it. It's just....DAYMN. All at once. Hugs!

Comment

Ok started the ball rolling yesterday...again..hopefully put a fire under the government offices..got some useful info (charities, etc). Hopefully that will tide me over for a bit. Thanks everybody

Comment

Working...
                              X