Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything Ken Onion designed for Kershaw is great. I usually have two in my pocket. A small Chive and a much larger Blur clipped to my pocket. Both are open assisted, meaning you just have to get them started and the torsion bar inside will open them the rest of the way. All are single blade with liner locks. Very easy to operate with one hand.
    I don't remember the specific model but during cold weather and I'm feeding hay to my cattle I keep a Ka-Bar police knife on my belt. It has a inwardly curving blade that is very handy for cutting twine string on bales of hay. It will cut either pushing or pulling.
    IMO Cheap knives are just that cheap, most are made of poor metal and are poorly made.
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

http://shadowhawkblades.com/

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/S...wk-Blades.aspx

I currently carry a hot pink Schrade folding knife (can't find a link to it) that my Karate Sense/Bladesmithing Teacher recommended we carry until we can finish our legal to carry knives. I've forged mine out and have it ground and the handle ready to go on.... I just need to get back up to his shop and finish it!

If anyone wants a neat experience he does a Make Your Own Blade Workshop. Alas it's only at his shop at his home in Texas. But you'd do 90% of the work in forging your own blade, 5 1/2 inches single edge (legal in Texas, states may vary).
      "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

At the risk of being called a heretic:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240888-16878...RL=&facetInfo=

I like good knives. I use good knives. This is the knife I use at work for cutting open boxes, scoring mica paper, cutting felt, and scoring graphite and carbon. When you're going to abuse a knife, you want a knife designed to be abused.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
          This is my girl. I love her to pieces.
          At those prices, they better be good!

Quoth Tanasi View Post
          Anything Ken Onion designed for Kershaw is great. I usually have two in my pocket. A small Chive and a much larger Blur clipped to my pocket. Both are open assisted, meaning you just have to get them started and the torsion bar inside will open them the rest of the way. All are single blade with liner locks. Very easy to operate with one hand.
          You wouldn't happen to have a link to any of those open-assisted knives, would you?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            At those prices, they better be good!
            You wouldn't happen to have a link to any of those open-assisted knives, would you?
            I guarantee that she is well worth it. And you can get them for much less than the MSRP at most sporting goods stores that carry knives.

As for the Auto Assist knives, the Kershaw Blur is a good one. http://www.kershawknives.com/searchr...&current_set=1
            There are several different iterations of the blur. I can vouch for Kershaw's customer service. My guy has an Avalanche (discontinued) that is actually the the second of these knives that he has had. The first one had some issues and he used it so hard that it needed repair. When he sent it in, it was not repairable so they sent him a new one. They are a very good company as well.

good luck. I would honestly recommend that you spend a little time in a sporting goods store knife department and handle as many knives as you can. A good one will last you a lifetime. So I don't think spending a little more on one is a bad idea.

Comment

I had the Kershaw Leek for years until I lost it at work. It was a good size for doing most things, and was still open assist. Somewhere I have a Gerber that I like when I can find it.

Hubby wants a Spartan by Harsey. I'm holding out for the one our friend is helping Bill design, I told him to make it girl size We also spend good money on work knives though, his rescue knife for fire fighting was ~$90, I lost count of what we spend on tools when he was still in the Army.

Comment

Rob has the Navy issue version of this:
                I keep wanting to steal it =)
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                  good luck. I would honestly recommend that you spend a little time in a sporting goods store knife department and handle as many knives as you can. A good one will last you a lifetime. So I don't think spending a little more on one is a bad idea.
                  Thanks for the link. And I agree that spending a little more can be worth it, and I will look into it. Although at the moment I am happy with my inexpensive car parts store-bought knife. It does all I need it to do.

But I did get a laugh at the idea of spending time in a sporting goods store's knife department. As for "sporting goods" all we have down here is K-Mart (would never buy a knife from there) and Champs (who I don't think carry knives). That being said, we DO have several marine supply stores, and they certainly carry knives--I just don't know if the kind of knives they carry are the kind that I would want or need. But thanks for the idea!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    But I did get a laugh at the idea of spending time in a sporting goods store's knife department. As for "sporting goods" all we have down here is K-Mart (would never buy a knife from there) and Champs (who I don't think carry knives). That being said, we DO have several marine supply stores, and they certainly carry knives--I just don't know if the kind of knives they carry are the kind that I would want or need. But thanks for the idea!
                    the Marine supply stores may have what you are looking for and if not, then try a hunting and fishing shop or an ammo and gun store. Both of them may also carry knives.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      I carry either a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman tool. Both brands have been well made and reliable, but can be a bit pricey. I had one Swiss Army Knife for the better part of 15 years until I lost it somewhere, and it was a great knife.
                      I have a couple of both. I spent several years in scouts, and always had a Swiss Army knife in my backpack. One thing I'd mention, is that many of the offered blades, really aren't needed. I don't think I've ever used the magnifying glass or the reamer on one of my knives. At least that knife only has about 10 blades. Some on their website...are a bit unwieldy

As for the Leatherman, it's usually kept in my car's glove compartment. That thing actually wasn't all that much. Since it was missing its box, it had been heavily marked down.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've got a SAK also (over 30 years old, Victorinox brand) that's more along the lines of a Boy Scout knife than the "everything gadget" model. It's got 2 blades, a bottle opener/1/4" screwdriver, can opener/1/8" screwdriver, awl (probably the "reamer" mentioned), and corkscrew. Once you get beyond 3 "chambers" or so (mine is a 2 "chamber" - look at the end of the knife, you'll see a plastic scale, metal shim with the "footprint" of the scale, one or more repetitions of the hollow that holds gizmos followed by another shim with the "footprint" of the scale, and finally the second scale), it gets too bulky to use conveniently.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Been carrying a Leatherman "Super Tool" for many, many years. They updated it to the "Super Tool 200", but I didn't like the changes. Then they came out with a series of fancified versions which I liked even less. The recently released "Super Tool 300" is an improvement, though, with unlocking levers that are less obtrusive and easier to use, replaceable blades in the wire cutters, and isn't much thicker than the original super tool while having thicker, rounded edges on the plier handles.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Super_Tool_300

Comment

Working...
                          X