This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Do You Want To Have A Drink With?

Allow me to explain. This is not "Who do you want to have a drink with so you can maybe get them in bed?". No. This is "Who do you want to have a drink with so you can have an amazing conversation/discussion with?" As in, who do you want to hang with for a brief time, not who do you want to sleep with. And "drink" can be beer (as it would be with me), wine, coffee, soda, tea, whatever. The drink is not the point so much as the social interaction is.

And to make it more interesting (or more frustrating, take your pick), I'll divide it into three categories:
    Real Person, Living.
    Real Person, Dead.
    Fictional Person.

I am going to have to insist, however, that this is a specific being, not someone nebulous like "the first alien to come to Earth." Someone we either know about or at the very least can google and find out about.

For me:

Real Person, Living: Toughest choice for me. There are honestly so many it could be. If I had to choose, right now it would be John Madden, who is a god to Raiders fans like myself. And let's face it, he's many things, but boring isn't one of them.
    Real Peson, Dead: No contest. My idol, George Carlin. Easiest choice of all. Second choice, my political hero, Thomas Jefferson. Would love to pick that man's mind. Though it was tough to pick between him and Ben Franklin, as Ben seems to have been more my kind of guy (outgoing, social, friendly, sarcastic), whereas TJ seemed far more reserved and quiet than myself.
    Fictional Person: The Doctor, but as he rarely seems to have time for a pint, my close second is Gil Grissom. Either would be fascinating to sit and chat with, don't ya think?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Keeping in mind my drink would have to have no alcohol in it...

Real Person, Living. - While I would like to say "Anybody from this board" that is nebulous so..I will have to go with my Angel Marmalady. Just because that would mean we were in the same place at the same time.

Real Person, Dead. - Easy one (though there are tons of options) Jesus Christ. Man would I have about 50 million questions.

Fictional Person. - This is a hard one. So many choices. Superman, Batman, Logan...gah! I guess I would have to say Charles Xavier. Now that would be interesting.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Real Person, Living: Julie Andrews. She's one of my favorite actresses of all time. Great talent, amazing voice, and overall seems like a very kind, genuine person.

Real Person, Dead: My grandpa. He passed away of leukemia when I was 7, and I miss him terribly. I'd love for him to see me as an adult.

Fictional Person: Steve Rogers/Captain America. I don't really have an explanation for this one other than I think he's pretty awesome.

Comment

I am changing my Living Person answer to Jeremy Clarkson. Nothing against John Madden, but Jezza seems like a fucking hoot! (I've been on a major Top Gear kick lately....can you tell?)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Real Person, Living: Gordon Ramsay. There's no way that would not be entertaining!
          Real Person, Dead: Ray Bradbury. That man could spin a heck of a yarn sober, and I bet he'd be even better after a drink or two!
          Fictional Person: Hellboy. "Watch it, lady, I've been drinking with skeletons!"
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Real Person Dead: Harry Truman. the history he lived through and made.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Hmm...I had to think about this one for a bit.

Real Person, Living: Jeremy Renner. All the interviews I've seen of his tell me he'd be really fun to go drinking with.

Real Person, Dead: There are a few but, if I had to pick one, I'd pick the guy who taught my astronomy class my freshman year of college. He was one of my favorite professors and I remember crying quite a lot when he died.

Fictional Person: Harry Dresden.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Real Person, Living: Benedict Cumberbatch

Real Person, Dead: Jean Harlow

Fictional Person: Dr. House
                I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

So many to pick from.

Real Person, Living:
                  Jesus would be cool of course. After that... Neil Gaiman, Rush Limbaugh, Massad Ayoob, and R. Lee Ermey, oh and Woz! (cos I just thought of Jobs too)

Real Person, Dead:
                  John Adams, Issac Asimov, Steve Jobs.

Fictional Person:
                  The Doctor (also the TARDIS, cos I can picture bringing a bottle of wine inside and getting chatty with her), SG-1 & possibly Rodney McKay (with a lemon handy if he gets too arrogant!), Wolverine & Rogue, (although NOT Magneto cos he'd probably kill me for calling him "Mags"). Oh and the Highlander. And MacGyver. (Wait, MacGyver WITH SG1... cos that would just be funny watching O'Neill and Mac eyeballing each other...)

Comment

Real Person Living: Sir Anthony Hopkins

Real Person Dead: ..... um, lemme think on that and get back you y'all.....

Fictional Person: Gandalf
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Real living person: Frank Welker or Peter Cullen (I'm insanely jealous of my friend right now for doing exactly this at ComicCon)

Real dead person: Mel Blanc or Walt Disney

Fictional Person: Honor Harrington

Choices subject to change without notice.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Living person - Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel. We can grab a beer and drop our pants. Send our wives and kids to France.

Dead person - Redd Foxx, my favorite comedian.

Fictional - Bruno J. Global from Macross, or Sokichi Banba AKA Big One from J.A.K.Q.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Real Living: Christopher Moore - I met him when he came to town for a reading. He seems like he would be great fun for a casual evening of hanging out, drinking and chatting.
                          Runner up: Shakti (not sure if she drinks or speaks fluent English for that matter, but she would also be amazing to hang out with I think).

Real Dead: Dorothy Parker - martinis of course.
                          Runner up: Mabel Normand - if I could go back in time I would make sure I got on that booze cruise with her.

Fictional: Serge A. Storms - I would make sure to stay on his good side of course.
                          Runner up: Alice - but then I would have to wait 'till she was old enough and we would have to drink Absenthe.

Comment

One caveat to this...

Fictional people: does it count if it really happened?

Well not the drinking part, but ... I really DID meet one of the characters from a book I liked. The author had a habit of putting real people into his books. In casual conversation during a drill, I found out that one of the senior enlisted sailors in my department was... actually a character I really liked from the series. She'd given the author some technical assistance so he named the character after her.

So yes, I really can say that I've met a fictional character in real life.
                            Last edited by PepperElf; 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              One caveat to this...

Fictional people: does it count if it really happened?

Well not the drinking part, but ... I really DID meet one of the characters from a book I liked. The author had a habit of putting real people into his books. In casual conversation during a drill, I found out that one of the senior enlisted sailors in my department was... actually a character I really liked from the series. She'd given the author some technical assistance so he named the character after her.

So yes, I really can say that I've met a fictional character in real life.
                              Amusingly enough, so have I. While the author didn't use any names, the description was specific enough that I knew who she was talking about, and she confirmed it at a book signing a few years later. And I did drink with her. Camped with her, too.
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X