This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Store Laughs...

So, as my cupboard was rather bare (outside of beer, of course), after work tonight I went to the grocery store. Found some really good deals on some stuff I like, too. Which was cool. And between that and a very helpful friendly lady at the deli counter, was really rather enjoying myself, for being on a grocery run. And then I hit the checkout line.

I noticed the guy behind me had a loaf of Arnold's whole wheat bread. I asked him how it tasted, and explained to him that I was asking because I have been eating Arnold's rye bread since, oh, about birth. Turned my roommate on to it and everything. Great stuff.

JESTER: "So, how's it taste?"
    GUY: "Not really sure. I just base it all on calorie count."
    JESTER: "Fair enough. Myself, I base it all on flavor. And this is a killer rye bread."
    (At this point there was a pause, and I had a thought.)
    JESTER: "Out of curiousity...." [looking at the rye bread packaging] "...Hmm. 80 calories."
    GUY: [looking at the whole wheat bread packaging] "110."

At which point I just started cracking up, as did he. "See?" I told him. "You should have gotten the rye bread!"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I prefer rye to white or whole wheat, personally.

Have you tried wasa rye crisp breads? They make a great base for open faced sandwiches. Today with lunch I am making one based on the rye crispbread, a layer of herb and garlic cream cheese, slices of cuke and some leftover shrimps. Very Danish, actually.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Arnolds has some good breads, period. Try the potato.

With the health problems, I was told to eat more whole grains. Unfortunately, they load up the whole grains with sugar (or more often, high fructose corn syrup).
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It has gotten to the point where if I want 'regular' bread I just make it. That way I can make it as whole grain or as unhealthy white as I like. [I will frequently toss in a couple cups of my favorite muslix as crunchies. it can make for an interesting chicken salad sandwich ]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          Have you tried wasa rye crisp breads?
          Not a big fan of rye crisps. For that matter, not a big fan of rye toast. I just like the bread, untoasted.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Arnold's whole wheat is actually pretty good. Make's really good toast.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Not a big fan of rye crisps. For that matter, not a big fan of rye toast. I just like the bread, untoasted.
              Now I am jonesing for a corned beef on rye

Comment

Mmmm, corned beef on rye. Or....pastrami on rye. Yummy. And I can get either one in many places on this island.

Sadly, what I CAN'T get fucking anywhere on this island is beef tongue, which I grew up with and I love dearly. Had not one, but TWO tongue sandwiches (yes, on rye!) in Houston. One of them was even fantastic. (The other one, the tongue was very fatty and mealy, not at all what one wants in beef tongue.)

Four grocery stores and one Jewish deli, and no one can carry tongue? Damn it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  Arnold's whole wheat is actually pretty good. Make's really good toast.
                  I love the whole wheat bread . . . but I'm the only one at home who eats it (can't get my Mom or brother to eat anything other than Merita Old Fashioned.)

I don't have to have mine toasted . . . I'll eat it right out of the wrapper.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Mmmm, corned beef on rye. Or....pastrami on rye. Yummy. And I can get either one in many places on this island.

Sadly, what I CAN'T get fucking anywhere on this island is beef tongue, which I grew up with and I love dearly. Had not one, but TWO tongue sandwiches (yes, on rye!) in Houston. One of them was even fantastic. (The other one, the tongue was very fatty and mealy, not at all what one wants in beef tongue.)

Four grocery stores and one Jewish deli, and no one can carry tongue? Damn it.
                    That is sad. If it was me, I would get a butcher to order me a tongue and cook it up, slice it up and freeze it in small packages so I could have it when I wanted it. [Actually I dislike tongue, but I can cook pretty much anything whether or not I like to eat it.]

Well, if we get to move down there I know what I can make you for hanukkah =)

Comment

Working...
                    X