This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Life Scams

Second Life has its share of scam artists, just like real life. I've heard stories about rogue scripts (essentially viruses) and similar crap, but I haven't personally experienced it.

The one type of scam that I've experienced repeatedly goes like this: A user opens group chat and says "I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm a little short on my rent. Can somebody lend me L$1500?" The usual response, besides reporting them to Linden Labs for spamming, is to say, "So what if you lose your house? You'll have to, what, change clothes at a public sandbox? Oh, the HORROR!"

I had the same user post exactly the same text to 3 different (though related) group chats within minutes of each other.

I know some members here are also on Second Life. Have you run into any scams there?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Sadly, that scam has been going on for as long as Second Life has allowed parcels of land to be rented. I made a game of it one night when I was still there and counted how many times it happened. I think I got up to eight before I logged to go to bed.

I don't remember a whole lot of scams other than the rent one, and it's been I think a couple years since I logged in.

Quoth Ghel View Post
    The usual response, besides reporting them to Linden Labs for spamming, is to say, "So what if you lose your house? You'll have to, what, change clothes at a public sandbox? Oh, the HORROR!"
    Oh I wish I'd thought of that one. Knowing how 'mature' some of the players are, I'm sure that response would have been met with quite a few of their own.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I saw that just a day or two ago. I'm part of a large roleplaying community in Second Life and someone used one of the groups for it. The sad thing is that we are close knit and I've seen people in this community go ahead and help people out like that in the past. It just encourages them.
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Working...
      X