This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make it so I can't see this page.

I know this is a strange request... but I need to make sure that niether me nor my coworkers can access this page on IE. OK, more specifically I need to set up IE to ONLY go to approved sites... for the life of me I can't figure out how to get that to work in the settings. For that matter I can't even get the content filter to work (rule 34 sites came up, pedersen's thread in fratching came up, which is terrifying sense it's talking about genital mutilation... if that gets through anything will...).

eta- if someone knows how to do that on Mozilla, that will work too.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Hmm... dunno how flattered I am that I've made a thread that's used as a barometer of "Crap! I can't believe that came up!"

Anyway, there's multiple ways. The best is likely to be picking up something like NetNanny. All of them will give you what you're looking for. They're not perfect, but they're a start.

If you have more time/more budget (either/or), there are other options to pursue.

Comment

Privoxy is free and can do the whitelist thing. (As a side bonus, it'll block ads)

Course, even a non-admin user can alter proxy settings by default. This can be changed though.

Blacklisting can be accomplished using a HOSTS file. Just add the offending site and point it to 0.0.0.0 Whitelisting via HOSTS file is more complex and more trouble than it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Also, you could add the offending site to IE's restricted zone. The site will still be accessible (without one of the above or other methods to block it), but with the tight settings of the restricted zone, it might not be very useful.
      Last edited by otakuneko; 12-15-2008, 12:52 AM.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

If there's a spare machine - can be an old one - I've heard of a program called Untangle that can do this kind of thing. I think it comes with it's own self-booting Linux system on CD.

Comment

Use K9 web filtering, that's what I have on my laptop so I don't go to unwanted sites. You can set it up to go to a specific page, or with a pop-up telling you that you attempted to go to a forbidden page. Everything needs to be setup on the machine and you need an e-mail address so they can send the password to.

Comment

IMHO the hosts file would probably be your best bet, as it will block both IE and FF from viewing the site. I've done it before on many machines, with no problem. Just open it with notepad, edit it (see wiki link) and voila!
            I pirated a copy of Linux and nobody cared

Comment

Psst - server move hopefully tonight. IP based blocks should be placed after the event

Rapscallion

Comment

Another way to do it.... if you have your internet traffic going through a router before it leaves the building....have someone who knows what he/she is doing edit the router files. You can block IP address ranges in the ACL (access control list). havent touched them myself much, but i did see them at work.

With that format it won't matter which browser you use, cos it's based off the IP address of the incoming and outgoing packets and not the browser software, so it's harder to get around.

of course there's some other benefits to this too... If you want, you can specify that certain computers have access while other ones don't. So yes, you can hook yourself up and screw everyone else over hah (and yeah i know a guy who did that).

and you can block more than just web-browsing... you can also set up lists on which computers are allowed access to telnet, etc... but that's a little more advanced.

but indeed, if all the computers in question have to go thru the same router, it may be something to look into doing.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM.

Comment

hey smiley................i went ahead and filtered out the contents you requested on the computers.....you can access sites which are approved and there is a special way to do it in IE....i cant show you but you should try it .....have fun!!

Comment

Quoth azn_pyscho_007 View Post
                    hey smiley................i went ahead and filtered out the contents you requested on the computers.....you can access sites which are approved and there is a special way to do it in IE....i cant show you but you should try it .....have fun!!
                    psst, this site still comes up... M wants everything non work related blocked

Comment

This is work related. It helps you to baseline your performance against that of your peers in customer service.

Nod. Nodnod.

Rapscallion

Comment

Raps, I like the way you think

Comment

Working...
                        X