This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible virus?

I don't know what it could be...I accidentally stumbled onto a weird site (enclycopedia dramatica to be exact) and then IE crashed and things were really weird for a few minutes.

Then, I tried to get back onto the internet and my firewall (Comodo) is tell me about programs trying to access the internet or something.

It says something like "C:\WINDOWS\system32\~.exe is attempting to load Jopokiho.dll by using a registry based (AppInit_DLLs_) hook which could be used by keyloggers to steal private information by keyloggers."

I don't know what a hook is or any of that, but when I deny the process, I cannot access IE...same thing with firefox. If I tell it to allow it, it constantly tells me that this or that is loading Jopokiho.dll...once it said that "neli--" something (I forgot the whole name) wanted to load.

Am I being paranoid? What are these files? I have run avast antivirus and it found a worm, apparently, but it was in the java folder. I put it in the virus chest. Now I am running trend micro housecall...I am so nervous about these things!

Sounds like something has gotten through IE (why are you still using it???) and infected your system.

Run an anti-virus scan NOW, and continue to deny this app until it is cleaned. I'm hoping you've got Firefox or some other browser loaded, so you can read this without any fear of your system being further compromised.

If you ARE using IE right now, click here to download Firefox and install it now. Hopefully, whatever it is won't bother it.

Here is a link to Trend Micro's online scanners. Click the House Call link. Is is safe to use:

Trend Micro Free scan

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

No, I switch between the two programs for various reasons. Even when I loaded up firefox, it said that program firefox was attempting to load the dll that I stated in the first post.

I am also running the housecall right now. So far so good.

Comment

Try running F-Secure's online scan and Eset's as well. Kaspersky has an online scanner too.

F-Secure
        Eset
        Kaspersky

I hope you find the help needed with those.
        A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Quoth pacman View Post
          Try running F-Secure's online scan and Eset's as well. Kaspersky has an online scanner too.

F-Secure
          Eset
          Kaspersky

I hope you find the help needed with those.
          I have had good luck with Kaspersky in the past for some pesky viruses.

Comment

Well, none of those programs detected anything so finally I did a restore to an earlier date and I no longer have strange requests for things to access the internet.

I wonder if these strange things trying to connect have anything to do with recent security updates I did for Windows XP and IE 7...but you would think that I could find these files on the internet somewhere...*sigh*

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

I can tell you right now that the file has nothin to do with IE7 or the new XP update (seeing as how now I troubleshoot them daily)

That was a pesky little virus, but looks like you got rid of it. In case it happens again, if you find Avast!, you can run a boot scan, so the critter can't hide.
              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Working...
              X