X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Mail issues

I hope someone can help me out.

My dad wants to be able to click on a link in an e-mail and be able to print stuff of the site. I did all that I knew (which ment changing the little "rider" on to the end of the .exe) and it still won't launch with add-on's running.

Help?

Okay, I'm a bit lost, but if I have this right, he wants to click a link in an email, and have things print to his printer, out off the site that opens, but he doesn't want to have to actually open the site?

Pretty sure that a mail program wouldn't be able to do it, unless it was integrated with the web browser.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I might have said it wrong. He wants to be able to click on a link, which opens IE. He can then print stuff off that website that he wants (that uses ActiveX controls) so he can print off coupons from a local retailer.

That is one example. I think the main thing is he wants add-ons to be turned on when he clicks on a link from Vista Mail.

Comment

Okay, if I'm understanding this, you're focusing on completely the wrong thing.

Vista mail has literally nothing to do with it. It's all IE, and ActiveX controls are different from site to site, so he'll need to visit and install the controls for each of them the first time, never delete them or clear them off, and make sure they're added to his "safe site" list so that IE doesn't try to lock down the site.

Comment

I've already added the site to his "safe site" list and it's still locking it down.

Comment

It's still not a Vista Mail issue. It's an IE issue. Unfortunately, I don't use IE, so I only know the generalities of what needs to be done, and I think most of the techies on here use FireFox, so you may need to diversify your search.

Comment

My dad doesn't want to use Firefox as he's used to IE. I use Firefox and Google Chrome on my laptop.

Comment

Ok.... I'm not sure entirely what it is you're saying.... so I'll just give a general advice that might be it (and as I haven't used IE since.... well XP... can't be 100% certain with some of this)

1) IE's security (which it's needed since it's been around) prevents any potentially dangerous things from opening by default. You can theoretically disable it, but you've got to disable it for every site I believe (and I sure wouldn't recommend that!)
                2) Some ActiveX controls aren't compatible with Vista (like some designed to print coupons...), so there's nothing you can do in these cases other than contact the company and tell them it doesn't work with Vista (and won't work with Windows 7) just so they know -- and ask if they could give the discount if you print the e-mail off or something or if they could just send him a coupon in the mail (my dad's had to do this, and the companies are normally willing without hesitation).

Comment

Well I just explained to him "1" and he kinda understood, I also threw in that it's to prevent him on clicking on what he thinks is a good link but it's bad. I told him to use the e-mail like a flag to tell you that new coupons are up and he can get them from the website (which I bookmarked).

Thanks for your help you two!

Comment

Working...
                  X