Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Meltdown (I hate Windows SP 3)

I have an old Dell, back when they were really good. It's a workhorse, and was one of the higher end models when I bought it. It's a little outdated in some ways, but I love it. We were even given a new Gateway for Christmas a couple of years ago, but we didn't even unpack it. *sigh* Now, we'll have to.

I downloaded Windows SP 3 over the weekend. I kept putting it off, but finally did it. HUGE mistake. The computer quit recognizing the DVD and CD drives. I uninstalled and reinstalled them. Didn't work. Downloaded the latest drivers. Didn't work. Tried to restore to back before the download. System wouldn't let me.

I noticed that the computer was reading the drives while booting. I thought, heck, I'll reload XP. It started well enough, but when it got to a certain point -- when it goes into Windows mode -- it said it couldn't read the disk anymore and it needed data from the disk. I loaded the disk onto an external hard drive from my laptop, but when I tried to restart the setup (my second mistake) apparently it lost communication with most of the components in my system and now I can't even get it to display on my monitor.

My thoughts are that I should see about getting a cage thing (I don't know what they're called), load my hard drive in it and try to recover my data through my other computer (I really need some of the documents on my drive), then format the drive (maybe get a new bigger one) and see if I can reload XP.

I'm trying to avoid spending money with Geek Squad or Firedog. It's just not in my budget, otherwise I'd turn it over to them and let them handle it. I'm also afraid that if I take it in, some lazy jackass will just format the drive because it's the easiest thing to do and then charge me for wiping all my data.

Am I on the right track? I'll take any and all suggestions.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

You're on the right track.

What you're calling a cage is known on the various sites as a hard drive enclosure. Tons of options exist, but you don't need much of anything fancy there. Simple USB enclosure with either sata or ide (due to age, it's likely ide), and make sure it's the right size (common names are laptop form factor, or 2.5in).

From there, get your data copied off. Best bet is to try to copy all files, so that you can't miss anything. On the gateway, use the Windows backup program (if it's there/installed). Simplest way to make sure it's all done.

After that, find your original OS disk and driver disk, and use them to completely erase/reformat/install.

Overall, you're not looking at anything difficult, just time consuming. Let us know if you need more help.

Comment

I love this USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA Device found here:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119152 because I can get data off of any sort of drive.

But if you want cage thing, search for "Hard Drive Enclosure" on Newegg.com or anyplace else.

Im wondering if your CD/DVD drive isnt fried. Maybe try a new one?

Comment

They don't seem to be fried. The setup started, then failed. When I uninstalled and then reinstalled, the Add Hardware Device recognized them with just Plug and Play, but then in the Device Manager it kept saying they weren't installed. I reloaded the drivers, but no change.

It is an IDE drive; I'll check tigerdirect and some other sites to find something I can afford.
        Document everything

Comment

Additional Question

Is there a way to format and partition the hard drive through the new computer?
          Document everything

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            as long as there is room in the new tower and enough ide connections on the mobo then yes, though it might void any warranty on the gateway. if your not concerned about that rejumper the old drive to be a slave and or for cable select and bolt it in. i wouldnt do much beyond format and portioning on the gateway though, if you tried to install windows on it you would have extraneous hardware that isnt really there. i would run a couple of disk checks while you have it plugged into the new case just to cya on the drive.
            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              If your goal is to format the drive and reinstall Windows while it's in the drive enclosure, and then move it back to the Dell, then no. You will find things very unable to work. Don't try.

If your goal is to attach the drive internally on the Gateway and install Windows, then move it back, it could be done, but would be painful, and likely unstable. Not recommended.

If, however, you just want to reformat the drive, and then re-attach to the Dell, then that's easy. Here's how:
              1. Get the drive out of the Dell, and install it in the enclosure.
              2. Attach the enclosure to the Gateway, do your data recovery.
              3. Right-click on "My Computer", and click "Manage"
              4. Click "Disk Management"
              5. In the top right area, right click on the drive letter for the USB drive, and click "Format"
              6. Click "Yes"
              7. Make sure "Filesystem" is "NTFS"
              8. Make sure "Allocation Unit Size" is "Default"
              9. Turn off "Perform a quick format"
              10. Turn off "Enable file and folder compression"
              11. The volume label can be anything you wish.
              12. Click "OK"
              13. Click "OK" again, and wait.

Warning: After doing this, recovering any data on the drive will be extremely difficult and costly, and not something that can be done locally. Expensive data recovery services will be required. Do not format until you have all your data copied off.

Comment

FYI it sounds as if you are having issues with your IDE drivers for your computers mother board. I would almost bet money that your DVD and CD drives are on the same IDE channel and the hard drive is on the main channel. When you installed windows xp did you use a Dell install disk or did you use a standard XP install disc?
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                  drives are on the same IDE channel and the hard drive is on the main channel. When you installed windows xp did you use a Dell install disk or did you use a standard XP install disc?
                  It originally came with XP and a recovery disk. I tried both the recovery disk and a new XP disk that I bought just before it was discontinued.
                  Document everything

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    If, however, you just want to reformat the drive, and then re-attach to the Dell, then that's easy.
                    Exactly. I just want to be able to start from scratch with the Dell. But with the problems it's having, I couldn't see any way to format the disk while it was in the Dell.
                    Last edited by wagegoth; 11-26-2008, 04:29 AM.
                    Document everything

Comment

[QUOTE=wagegoth;438410]
                      Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      If, however, you just want to reformat the drive, and then re-attach to the Dell, then that's easy.

Exactly. I just want to be able to start from scratch with the Dell. But with the problems it's having, I couldn't see any way to format the disk while it was in the Dell.
                      I would be willing to bet that, unless your CD Drive is actually going out, formatting and doing a clean install will correct the problem. It almost looks like there is a bad, or corrupt driver that windows is insisting on using, one newer than what's on the CD, so when you try to repair without wiping the old one out completely, it keeps the newest one.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Seawolfe View Post
                        I love this USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA Device found here:
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119152 because I can get data off of any sort of drive.

But if you want cage thing, search for "Hard Drive Enclosure" on Newegg.com or anyplace else.

Im wondering if your CD/DVD drive isnt fried. Maybe try a new one?
                        I assume the product your link points to (not a good product description) can be used to connect any IDE/SATA hard drive via USB. if this is correct this may help me get data off of my old dead PC. and at a good price to boot.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Might look and if that's the case try to run the hard drive and one of the cd drives on the channel the hard drive is on.

No idea if it'll work but it is an easy try.

Paul

Quoth digilight View Post
                          FYI it sounds as if you are having issues with your IDE drivers for your computers mother board. I would almost bet money that your DVD and CD drives are on the same IDE channel and the hard drive is on the main channel. When you installed windows xp did you use a Dell install disk or did you use a standard XP install disc?

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            I assume the product your link points to (not a good product description) can be used to connect any IDE/SATA hard drive via USB. if this is correct this may help me get data off of my old dead PC. and at a good price to boot.
                            I personally prefer the drive caddys as they offer some protection to the drive, also if the drive is still good you can sit it on top of the PC and use it for archive purposes\extra storage. Here's the ones that can be used with either IDE or SATA, normally by switching some internal cables and takes about a minute (and they're cheaper )
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Unfortunately, the hard drive enclosure didn't work. I attached the hard drive and loaded it into the enclosure and connected it to the newer computer. Started and stopped. I tried hooking it to the laptop, same result. I even took it to work and tried it on my work computer, but it didn't work.

Is my drive dead, or did I get a bad enclosure?

I guess I'll have to take the drive to Geek Squad or Fire Dog and see if they can get it to work.

Thanks for all your help.
                              Document everything

Comment

Working...
                              X