This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 problems.

Not sure if anyone can help me, but I'm hoping some of the gamers might be able too.

Bought a used PS2 several weeks ago, tested it in the store, and everything seemed fine. Brought it home and have been playing my new PS2 game on it for several weeks now. Everything was fine until my GF tried to play her FF7 on it.

I thought maybe there was something wrong with her game, so I sat down and tried every PS1 game we own and every DVD we own. It doesn't even register that there is a disk in the tray. PS2 games work fine, but nothing else even registers, it just goes straight to the screen to edit the memory card. Is there a way to fix this?
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

I'm not sure, but I think they did make a version of the PS2 that *didn't* have the PS1 compatibility stuff in it. It sounds like you got one of those.

Comment

Well, I started finally messing around with it last night and finally got a PS1 game to play. But I couldn't get it to do it again.

I forgot to add this in my first post but, when you first turn it on, the screen rolls really bad. It does this with PS2 games as well, but once the game loads, it stops. When I got the PS1 game to load the one time last night, it never stopped rolling. I've tried different AV cables.
      Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

Looking on the net, it seems like this has happened to some other folks. A bit of reading led me to this:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha.../ps2diy/3.html

You'll probably only need a cleaning, from what I've seen.

Note: if you feel at all uncomfortable about doing some of the steps in there, you might want to look into a local repair service.

Then again, you can get a used PS1 cheap now. May want to look into that.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The short answer is that on original unit PS2s, it uses seperate lasers to play a DVD and CDs. As Geek King says, if you're not squeemish about unscrewing it and opening it up (be careful but otherwise it's not too tough) some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip will probably solve your problem.

I had the opposite problem as you where my DVD laser stopped working but I could still play PS1 games (as well as the one PS2 game I own that's on cd rather than dvd). At first I was able to clean it but eventually had to get it refurbished by Sony. This was a whole batch of PS2s with alignment issues though... so I think most of those models have been handled one way or another.

Edit:
          Quoth Carina16 View Post
          I forgot to add this in my first post but, when you first turn it on, the screen rolls really bad. It does this with PS2 games as well, but once the game loads, it stops. When I got the PS1 game to load the one time last night, it never stopped rolling. I've tried different AV cables.
          Well if it stops when the game loads it's *probably* not the AV or cables. I'm trying to think now... but the PS2 has an options menu on it's boot screen.... I think in there is an option to change between RGB and CMY.... it's possible if it's set incorrectly there it's trying to use a different mode... and then when the game loads that doesn't support it it reverts.... uh... I can't exactly remember how this works.... but check the boot menu options (just load without a disc) if you're able to read it.

Likewise it could always be a setting on the TV too... so remember not to rule out what you're connecting to (my own TV for instance, has a quirk where some "full white" scenes (which some videogames like to use during big explosions) on the screen will cause it to engage it's refresh mode).
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Could also be that it's internal motherboard is dying. I know I had a 'big' PS2 that had that happened and then sold it to a refirb shop for 20 bucks to use for spare parts. My newwer slim PS2 just had to get a cleaning. Cost me 15 but my games play a lot better.

Comment

Btw carina, it's very possible this PS2 is chipped (Mod chipped). Many mod chips cause troubles with PS1 games unless you start the unit with a certain key combo/procedure.
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

From my understanding, the first thing to stop playing when the lasers go is DVDs, PS1, and blueback PS2 games. If you bought a used system, it may have already run its course. I'd suggest getting it swapped out if it's still under warranty through the store (if it was gamestop, 30 days.)
                Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth wildkard View Post
                  The short answer is that on original unit PS2s, it uses seperate lasers to play a DVD and CDs. As Geek King says, if you're not squeemish about unscrewing it and opening it up (be careful but otherwise it's not too tough) some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip will probably solve your problem.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXsEcwerbA , you can find many other step-by-step guides and youtube videos on the same subject.
                  Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Working...
                  X